Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part 2 (cont. in Part 3)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't agree with that. Who he talks with has no bearing on anything of note. What's the alternative? Be 100% insular with every sensitive club issue and only do in-house reporting?

The alternative, as I said, would be to release a statement on the CFC website - possibly a video interview - clearing up the situation.

I have no issue with Bryce speaking to the media but he should have spoken to members and supporters of the CFC first.

The alternative, as I said, would be to release a statement on the CFC website - possibly a video interview - clearing up the situation.

I have no issue with Bryce speaking to the media but he should have spoken to members and supporters of the CFC first.
I can see the want for it to come from club channels, but I thought the article was good and think it could have been viewed as spin if it had come from the club. I actually prefer that he went with an independent outlet.

Gibbs has zero obligation to elaborate on the things going on in his personal life...he's a footy player and footy is a job.

Yes you'll always get idiots everywhere especially on social media who just say things and troll people...but it's fair enough for Gibbs to want to set the record straight and defend Lauren...i can imagine there would have been some pretty nasty comments directed at her.
I agree he has no obligation to discuss personal matters but he did and was selective with what he revealed, which is problematic. And he is entitled to set the record straight but that was the wrong way to do it from a PR point of view. Thats all I am saying. I am on his side in this.

Journalists have tricks to getting people to talk to them: "You can set the record straight by talking to me" is one of the most popular. But journalists invaraibly have their own motives and agendas and once you have spoken to them you lose all control over how they present what you have said. The rule of thumb from a professional communications ppoint of view is never talk to the media unless it is advantageous and only do so if you can control the message.

I can see the want for it to come from club channels, but I thought the article was good and think it could have been viewed as spin if it had come from the club. I actually prefer that he went with an independent outlet.
I think it important to note he didn't seek out an independent outlet.

He had a sit down with Connelly and Matt Thompson from AFL.Com, both of which would've been organised by the Club's media department as content to exchange for coverage of our training camp on the Gold Coast.

There's only so many puff pieces, 'the boys have come back bigger...' type things these outlets are prepared to run.

I think we might've been on the same page some weeks back regarding this.

Absolutely should've done a piece to camera/statement through the club website.

Your suggestion would have been good but I would never have expected it.

Apologies if this has already been posted, but full version of "Bloodlines - Giacomo to Jack" is now available on Carlton website.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/2016-12-18/bloodlines-giacomo-to-jack

Just watched it, plays a bit like a "Who do you think you are" episode, but with extra footy stuff! Another high quality production from CFC.

Edit: Not sure if I'm supposed to just post a link like that. There is no other associated content and I'm not sure how/if it can be embedded. Can one of the mods please fix this up if it's breaking the rules! Thx
The Silvagni name, coming from a long line of woodsmen...

Nickname Jack Lumberjack?

Sounds to me like Bryce is pretty annoyed at the way Adelaide handled things and what they thought he was worth... so this season he's going to go out and prove them wrong....

Time to put some $$$ on Gibbs for the brownlow.

He was annoyed, but SOS and McKay would have been fuming......enraged.....livid, even.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One aspect which annoys re the Gibba interview and the media's take on it relates to Carlton being blindsided. The inference i get from the article and subsequent commentary is that how could Carlton be blindsided as they knew beforehand.

From my reading of it if you have previously started work with the opposition intending to trade and then they do the dirty by breaking/spinning it in the media then I would also believe that I have been blindsided.

Gibba confirming he didnt know it was coming supports my theory totally.

One aspect which annoys re the Gibba interview and the media's take on it relates to Carlton being blindsided. The inference i get from the article and subsequent commentary is that how could Carlton be blindsided as they knew beforehand.

From my reading of it if you have previously started work with the opposition intending to trade and then they do the dirty by breaking/spinning it in the media then I would also believe that I have been blindsided.

Gibba confirming he didnt know it was coming supports my theory totally.

The article clearly states the club wasn't blindsided, and I agree I think the only blindsiding was Adelaides comments on the first day of trade week. That's also clear from Gibbs perspective.

Adelaide quite obviously tried to get him on the cheap, and all they did throughout trade week was weaken an already weak midfield.

They won't have the injury gods on their side for too much longer, I'm tipping them just to make the 8 on percentage only (because they have an awesome forward line)

Apologies if this has already been posted, but full version of "Bloodlines - Giacomo to Jack" is now available on Carlton website.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/2016-12-18/bloodlines-giacomo-to-jack

Just watched it, plays a bit like a "Who do you think you are" episode, but with extra footy stuff! Another high quality production from CFC.

No quite Who Do You Think You Are level but still good 50 minutes all the same.

Did not learn much on Giacomo other than came to Australia when 22. Who Do You Think You Are would go into far more detail to get a feel for person's life. Still was fun show. As someone never got to spend time or know grandparents jealous of people like Jack than knows his grandparents so well and gets to spend so much time knowing them as people.

Looked a bit staged when they told him he was getting no.1 jumper. Clearly knew already as there was no real sense of surprise from him.
Funny to hear when he was a little kid and he saw Walker get no.1 he said that is my jumper. ha ha

They won't have the injury gods on their side for too much longer, I'm tipping them just to make the 8 on percentage only (because they have an awesome forward line)

It is hard to imagine Betts having as good a year as 2016. Surely he is due for some sort of injury at his age. Josh Jenkins plays like Waite did for us- too hot and cold and went missing in some big matches. Lynch had a good year. Even walker had his share of average games. I think their forward line is full of players who, on their day look like world beaters, yet not often do they fire all at once. If that is their big strength then they are being overrated

No quite Who Do You Think You Are level but still good 50 minutes all the same.

Did not learn much on Giacomo other than came to Australia when 22. Who Do You Think You Are would go into far more detail to get a feel for person's life. Still was fun show. As someone never got to spend time or know grandparents jealous of people like Jack than knows his grandparents so well and gets to spend so much time knowing them as people.

Looked a bit staged when they told him he was getting no.1 jumper. Clearly knew already as there was no real sense of surprise from him.
Funny to hear when he was a little kid and he saw Walker get no.1 he said that is my jumper. ha ha

Yeah agreed, meant to say like a "Who do you think you are" Lite version.

Great new video on the club website featuring Gibba.

Unfortunately i cant share it on the b gibbs thread in the trading section - suspended for a couple of weeks. It would be great if someone could do me a favor and post a link on that board so those feral crows and others like darthbard can be educated.

Whist the message Gibba gave us was not surprising the fact he is in top shape is the ultimate evidence of his commitment.

Great new video on the club website featuring Gibba.

Unfortunately i cant share it on the b gibbs thread in the trading section - suspended for a couple of weeks. It would be great if someone could do me a favor and post a link on that board so those feral crows and others like darthbard can be educated.

Whist the message Gibba gave us was not surprising the fact he is in top shape is the ultimate evidence of his commitment.

Gibbs speaks:

Sending you my bank details now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back