Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part 2 (cont. in Part 3)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best news of the year so far.

I had a bit of a quick read or the article while waiting for my coffee this morning. Thought I read that Cripps signing an extension was crucial for Charlie to then sign his... can anyone confirm that or did I somehow make it up in my pre-coffee haze?...

Woke up to this news and I am happy as a bee, should have signed them up for life and thrown away the keys.
But you can't get everything I guess, the idiots that want to get rid of Bolton aren't living in the real world.
Now to sign up the rest of our young guns, our future looking bright we need to wear our sunglasses at night.

Which ones haven't we signed up? SOS has nailed all of them to the club, already.

Bit of a risk on his behalf and no doubt a couple won't work out, but it's a bold move and likely a cheaper move than waiting for the players you had faith in selecting, to show real form. A bit dangerous but that's really backing oneself.

This comes across as a little unusual to me, but it shouldn't given it's coming from Docherty.
Sounds more like a captain talking about one of his players than the other way around.
Yep. The more it goes on the more it looks like he has made the decision to move on; which is a real shame.

It reads like the club are happy to have him stay on, but will not pay him overs, and he will be asked to go on to a 1 year contract (which hasn't been an issue for a number of champs from other clubs mind you). He also knows he will have to give up the captaincy.

I can see how he might feel slighted/not respected by all the talk from supporters and media re Cripps/Doc being the next captain, but really, 'glass half full' thinking and he could eek out a number of years as an outside mid/forward pocket, enjoying his footy and using his spare time to prepare perfectly.

I still see him hopefully having 2-4 years left and the chances are the not so mighty CFC will be mighty again by then. Much better option than moving to another club who may/may not continue their form (see Adelaide).

doc was excellent. spoke well and there is no doubt that he will make an excellent coach in years to come (probably the youngest person that i have ever seen that you could say that about). was visibly excited about the future of our group.
gerard was strange on afl 360. it was almost like the penny had dropped and he could all of a sudden see the huge upside of our list but couldn't bring himself to admit it. even robbo was chiding him "well you've changed your story".

Two weeks ago he made a complete dick of himself by spouting some ill researched crap about “couldn’t see where the improvement was going to come from” - any wonder he felt stupid backtracking,

Two weeks ago he made a complete dick of himself by spouting some ill researched crap about “couldn’t see where the improvement was going to come from” - any wonder he felt stupid backtracking,

I think it has become impossible to ignore how s**t St Kilda and Suns have become.

Now Adelaide have entered to the mixing bowl of disappointment.

Carlton is off the hook for now.

Yep. The more it goes on the more it looks like he has made the decision to move on; which is a real shame.

It reads like the club are happy to have him stay on, but will not pay him overs, and he will be asked to go on to a 1 year contract (which hasn't been an issue for a number of champs from other clubs mind you). He also knows he will have to give up the captaincy.

I can see how he might feel slighted/not respected by all the talk from supporters and media re Cripps/Doc being the next captain, but really, 'glass half full' thinking and he could eek out a number of years as an outside mid/forward pocket, enjoying his footy and using his spare time to prepare perfectly.

I still see him hopefully having 2-4 years left and the chances are the not so mighty CFC will be mighty again by then. Much better option than moving to another club who may/may not continue their form (see Adelaide).
Perhaps he should have a chat to Brett Deledio and Ryan Griffen...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Murphy will stay on and help mentor the new captain/s and he will like it.

Am I doing this right?
Yeh very good you need to add FFS on the end otherwise excellent :p

As woeful as 1-11 looks, this is the most united this club has been in over 10 years. Everyone at the club is aware of the stance we have taken and know we will take a few more losses but if we stick together we will come out the other side. They all know it will take 3-4 years for it to happen and everyone is happy to sign on.

I would have PAID Cripps and signed him up for longer. I actually think both managers have played us here.

Cripps is currently in his 5th season, and his contract expired next year, prior to FA. A 2-year extension takes him to the 8 year mark, where he will be a free agent. He and his manager have kept open the option of him leaving, and while we'll have the opportunity to match, it gives him massive leverage. Either we show success in the next 2 years (unlikely), pay him a big extension in 2 years time (just when we are rising and need money for others) or he can force a trade/leave.

Charlie's 4 year extension also takes him to free agency. In his case, it's nice to lock him away for 5 years, but is he worth $800k yet? I don't see it as a huge issue, but his manager has managed to get him paid like a star at a stage of his career when he isn't producing at that level. If he comes good, he'll get another huge pay-day and have free agency as an option. If not, he's already had his money early...

I don't think we had other options, but in a perfect world I would have gone 6 years/$6m for Cripps and locked him away until he is 30 (let's face it, we'll be paying him that much in 2 years time anyway). I would have gone 3 years/$700k for Charlie, setting him up for a similar extension a year prior to free agency, and saving a bit of cash in the mean-time.

Still, those two big signings lock away a key part of our future and send a sign to the league that we're in business, and I don't think much more was achievable. Agents are smart too and know how to look after the best interests of their players...

Yep. The more it goes on the more it looks like he has made the decision to move on;
I don't see it that way at all. It looks more to me like he's just undecided. Now, you could argue that that's not a good sign, as he might not be 100% committed to our vision and plan, but I wouldn't say it's an indication that he's leaving.
He also has his injury recovery to focus on.

As much as it is great news it is unsettling that both contracts end as they become RFAs. I guess the onus comes onto the club to finally perform in the 3 years that Cripps has on his contract which ends first to get them to see that a flag is coming and to stay on. Thats all you can really do.

As much as it is great news it is unsettling that both contracts end as they become RFAs. I guess the onus comes onto the club to finally perform in the 3 years that Cripps has on his contract which ends first to get them to see that a flag is coming and to stay on. Thats all you can really do.
Cripps gives us everything, and will continue to do so. I don't mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back