Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another painful 3-4 years. Best case 10th by 2022. I’m not sure I can wait that long. That’s a very slow rebuild. In 2022 Cripps will be past free agency and playing for West Coast, Kruezer, Murphy, Simpson all retired. ******* 10th. Sure.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...s-west-coast-are-seventh-20190215-p50y21.html

I think this reporter should take his hand off it and give the game away.
Half of these clowns can't pick what will happen this year - who is he kidding thinking he can predict list strength toa solitary ladder position in 2022 with free agency, injuries and multiple drafts.
Any good journalist would put in a range - predicting 10th is like me predicting my house value in 2022 will be $965,456.

I have to admit to not having a clue about the other teams but here is my estimate of our ladder position (with ranges)
2019: 12-16 - not the depth at half back or small forwards and we have young mids
2020: 8-12 - developing mids, solid backline, may need a small forward or two if none grab their chance in 2019
2021: 1-8 - elite mids, strong defense, will need TDK to be our ruck or buy one
2022: 1-6 - should have all the pieces and will come down to coaching, injuries and the luck of the bounce

It's funny how in reality, a side can make a massive leap from being on the bottom of the ladder in just a few years but in theory it's just 'baby steps'. Brisbane are all the rage now but just a few years ago were so bad that they apparently needed a PP. The logic of that article is inconsistent and seems to suggest improvement will continue to be linear when you are near or on the bottom of the ladder but it's eruptive when you are on the improve. For that reason, it's ridiculous to project a ladder position three years into the future.

Last edited:
It’s not because Pelchen is pessimistic when it comes to the Blues but I don’t rate his opinion at all. He’s an overrated character whose reputation was boosted artificially because of Hawthorns success. He like many associated with Hawthorn benefited from compromised drafts.
Hope we stick it up him!

In 2022, we will have a heap of quality players in the 22-25 age range. Several of them will be 100 game players. We would have attracted a free agent or two. We would have traded in more quality.

Our physical development and experience would be coming to the fore.

We would have been raided by other clubs to not be contending at this point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In 2022, we will have a heap of quality players in the 22-25 age range. Several of them will be 100 game players. We would have attracted a free agent or two. We would have traded in more quality.

Our physical development and experience would be coming to the fore.

We would have been raided by other clubs to not be contending at this point.
Thats a long time to wait.

It's funny how in reality, a side can make a massive leap from being on the bottom of the ladder in just a few years but in theory it's just 'baby steps'. Brisbane are all the rage now but just a few years ago were so bad that they apparently needed a PP. The logic of that article is inconsistent and seems to suggest improvement will continue to be linear when you are near or on the bottom of the ladder but it's eruptive when you are on the improve. For that reason, it's ridiculous to project a ladder position three years into the future.

can someone dig up the Pelican's 2018 list predictions from back in 2015?

if players don't make a significant impact on the league until their third year then theory suggests that most of a clubs 2021 list is already there and Pelchan is assessing natural improvement, coaching and retirement of older players.

this is just media fluff to fill the papers during the offseason, if Carlton can get above 10th by 2021 i will be going out and buying the highest powered microwave i can find

can someone dig up the Pelican's 2018 list predictions from back in 2015?

if players don't make a significant impact on the league until their third year then theory suggests that most of a clubs 2021 list is already there and Pelchan is assessing natural improvement, coaching and retirement of older players.

this is just media fluff to fill the papers during the offseason, if Carlton can get above 10th by 2021 i will be going out and buying the highest powered microwave i can find

It’s not because Pelchen is pessimistic when it comes to the Blues but I don’t rate his opinion at all. He’s an overrated character whose reputation was boosted artificially because of Hawthorns success. He like many associated with Hawthorn benefited from compromised drafts.
Hope we stick it up him!

I can not believe his opinions are even asked let alone printed. Bog average campaigner

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This guy is good. Projecting where clubs may finish up in three years time. What a futile exercise.
Clubs' supporters may well have a shot at where they 'feel' their club may be some time in the future, but to map out all 18 teams prospects.???

It's not worth the paper it's not written on.

Thats a long time to wait.

We won't have to wait that long. I'm saying that we will be very strong in 2022, not battling to make 10th.

I still think we are a year too young to make a huge impact but we will show some long glimpses of what is to come, with an upset win or two.

2020, we should climb to just outside the 8 and in 2021, we could well be contending.

This depends on how we replace Murph, Simmo, Kreuzer, Ed and Daisy however. Losing that experience is difficult. We have to fill that experience gap with FAs and trades of quality, as well as have natural improvement from the rest.

Last edited:
We won't have to wait that long. I'm saying that we will be very strong in 2022, not battling to make 10th.

I still think we are a year too young to make a huge impact but we will show some long glimpses if what is to come, with an upset win or two.

2020, we should climb to just outside the 8 and in 2021, we could well be contending.

This depends on how we replace Murph, Simmo, Kreuzer, Ed and Daisy however. Losing that experience is difficult. We have to fill that experience gap with FAs and trades of quality, as well as have natural improvement from the rest.
Ed will still be there in 2021 is my guess but beyond that, who knows.

List builds aren’t linear in there improvement. Young teams are inconsistent for a few years before finding that consistency. The next few years could be frustrating waiting for maturity to kick in. Even teams that quickly rise to win a premiership can then struggle for a few years afterwards because of there age.

Pelchin likes Carltons rebuild but is probably keeping in mind the immaturity of the group.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

List builds aren’t linear in there improvement. Young teams are inconsistent for a few years before finding that consistency. The next few years could be frustrating waiting for maturity to kick in. Even teams that quickly rise to win a premiership can then struggle for a few years afterwards because of there age.

Pelchin likes Carltons rebuild but is probably keeping in mind the immaturity of the group.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd take a "quick rise" and a flag, then a trough period for a few years, any day of the week.

Blue heaven: No.1 pick poised to sign long-term extension

CARLTON'S strategy to lock away emerging stars on long-term deals is set to extend to Sam Walsh with the Blues opening negotiations with the prized No.1 draft pick.

The Blues are considering adding multiple years to Walsh's existing 2020 contract before the season opener against Richmond – a game in which he is poised to debut.

Reckon we'll see 5 extra years coming up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back