Media Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part IV

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

This won't be popular, but...

Did anyone notice that both our leaders in Doc and Cripps, in their addresses to the players, referred to playing for Carlton as "work".

Coming to "work".

You "work" here.

For years we've bemoaned the fact that a lot of our players seem to be just going through the motions. That they're content to just be AFL players.

If we have a culture and mentality that this is just a job and players are just employees, we're going to go nowhere. Regardless of how much talent is on our list.

We need to foster serious buy-in like Melbourne achieved, and I don't think we'll get there with transactional language like 'work'.

Did anyone notice that both our leaders in Doc and Cripps, in their addresses to the players, referred to playing for Carlton as "work".

Coming to "work".

You "work" here.

For years we've bemoaned the fact that a lot of our players seem to be just going through the motions. That they're content to just be AFL players.

If we have a culture and mentality that this is just a job and players are just employees, we're going to go nowhere. Regardless of how much talent is on our list.

We need to foster serious buy-in like Melbourne achieved, and I don't think we'll get there with transactional language like 'work'.

Depends on the context I guess. 'Work' for many people is that annoying or even soul-sucking thing they do in order to put food on the table. That certainly wouldn't be a good mindset to establish at the club.

But 'work' can mean other things too:

- It means you've been given responsibilities and are accountable to those around you

- It means you need to be reliable and consistent in what you do

- It means you set aside some personal preferences to achieve the shared goal

- Etc

Remember that many (most?) of the young kids won't have ever had a real job before and need to learn what having a job actually involves. And for them it probably won't have the associations with drudgery etc that you pick up as you get older -- having your 'first real job' can be pretty exciting at that age.

Depends on the context I guess. 'Work' for many people is that annoying or even soul-sucking thing they do in order to put food on the table. That certainly wouldn't be a good mindset to establish at the club.

But 'work' can mean other things too:

- It means you've been given responsibilities and are accountable to those around you

- It means you need to be reliable and consistent in what you do

- It means you set aside some personal preferences to achieve the shared goal

- Etc

Remember that many (most?) of the young kids won't have ever had a real job before and need to learn what having a job actually involves. And for them it probably won't have the associations with drudgery etc that you pick up as you get older -- having your 'first real job' can be pretty exciting at that age.
Agreed. Work tends to conjure up the implication of accountability and responsibility, not privilege and entitlement.

Coming to "work".

You "work" here.

Agree totally KB. I have often thought winning just doesnt seem to be front of mind for some of our players and are just going through the motions.

I will be interested to see if a new Pres/CEO/Coach can change the mindset.

Since when has work become so imbued with negative connotation? the players aren't there for leisure time activities - they are all on the Club's payroll - they are employees - their responsibility is to work - work at being better players and better team mates - constantly.

Work is a wonderful thing it is a privilege not a right - every single player n Carlton's list is privileged to be working at Carlton - they aren't indentured slaves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coming to "work".

You "work" here.

I took those reference to be about the hark work required to succeed, not a reference to a situation.

I think 'work' is closing the era of 'green shoots' and 'get out there and enjoy your footy'.

It's an era of effort and compensation rather than footy for footy's sake.

Might be trite but sport admin runs on cliches and if this is the one that gets the team putting in more effort on and off the field and us building a culture of winning games then sure, let's 'work'

That Murph Vlog was fantastic.

Definitely raised my opinion of him much higher that it already was.

Even being political you could tell he was no fan of Malthouse (to say the least) while carrying the can for the club during the dudes tenure (and notwithstanding Malthouses negative opinion of Murph).

Put the club first at all times. Really impressive leadership in really difficult times.

murph's legacy will go well beyond his last 50 games as far as any supporter with a clue is concerned.........

I've gotta put my hand up and say I never really warmed to Murph. Didnt dislike him, more just frustrated at times. Seemed to fade in and out of games too much for my liking after the year he won MVP.

Just never really kicked on from that stellar season.

In hindsight, I can see much more clearly not only see why that was (the injuries he was dealing with, plus the off field stuff taking its toll), but also notwithstanding those issues (being the face for the club as it tore itself apart, and with a coach that he plainly did not get along with) he put the club (and his mates) first, didnt bitch (even though he had every right to) and stuck fat.

He deserved more success wise.

Why would Thomas have angst towards Carlton?

His thoughts on Malthouse would be interesting, but he wasn't exactly treated poorly in his time at the club.

some comments on whatever show that he is on gave me the impression that he didn’t have the greatest view of the club, but that could have just been him trying to keep things entertaining so I take them with a grain of salt.

outside of that, not playing him due to the automatic trigger clause in his first contract with us followed by his delisting after a solid year of footy when he wanted yo keep playing.

not saying that there is bad blood but that there could be reason for him to not be unbiased in his views depending on his feelings of his time there if he was ever to comment on the happenings during the Malthouse era.

I've gotta put my hand up and say I never really warmed to Murph. Didnt dislike him, more just frustrated at times. Seemed to fade in and out of games too much for my liking after the year he won MVP.

Just never really kicked on from that stellar season.

In hindsight, I can see much more clearly not only see why that was (the injuries he was dealing with, plus the off field stuff taking its toll), but also notwithstanding those issues (being the face for the club as it tore itself apart, and with a coach that he plainly did not get along with) he put the club (and his mates) first, didnt b*tch (even though he had every right to) and stuck fat.

He deserved more success wise.
Deserved better from us too.

I'll put my hand up for piling on. Was shameful behaviour and I need to be better.

Peak Murphy was a spectacular sight and should be remembered as such.
No amount of revisionist pieces regarding his courage to play under duress over the last few years does anything to excuse the fact he went on two seasons too long.

I fully understand some of our youngsters were under prepared. If I can draw supporters to that game v Freo with no Crippa, Charlie down etc, etc was character building for the group. Murph was an integral part of the day and a recent highlight. It was also testament to the ability of so called lesser lights to step up in adversity, in the absence of leaders. Some of the kids, and in particular mid range players thrive and step up.

Just quietly, as an aside, if I was JSOS who has stepped up each time asked to in the middle, but otherwise starved of opportunity inside and involved in a perpetual contest with McGovern for the third tall spot, I would be pi55ed off.

Last edited:
Peak Murphy was a spectacular sight and should be remembered as such.
No amount of revisionist pieces regarding his courage to play under duress over the last few years does anything to excuse the fact he went on two seasons too long.

I fully understand some of our youngsters were under prepared. If I can draw supporters to that game v Freo with no Crippa, Charlie down etc, etc was character building for the group. Murph was an integral part of the day and a recent highlight. It was also testament to the ability of so called lesser lights to step up in adversity, in the absence of leaders. Some of the kids, and in particular mid range players thrive and step up.

Just quietly, as an aside, if I was JSOS who has stepped up each time asked to in the middle, but otherwise starved of opportunity inside and involved in a perpetual contest with McGovern for the third tall spot, I would be pi55ed off.

Murph played a few seasons too many - but it wasn't his fault list management disasters pretty much meant that he was a top10 player or better for the Club - when by his own admission on the last few years - he couldn't lift his arms above his shoulders or even reach with his right...

I will never forget the way he could turn a game playing in his prime back in 2010-2011 and was a genuine superstar of the game - nor will I forget how pathetic the Club's midfield was in not having the personnel or coaching to help him when he was being targeted mercilessly by opposition...

Hopefully, the club is never in such a position again - and never ever has a coach like Malthouse undermining a new Captain - again. 'Seeing' Malthouse out - was a great achievement - one which too many very good players at the Club at the time didn't have the stomach for - unfortunately for supporters and team mates.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back