Strategy Centre Bounce Attendance Tracker + Clearance Stats

Remove this Banner Ad

Having drafted Culley/Ginbey/Chesser/Hough/Hewett, there is an expectation that we will see a shift in the midfield dynamic over the course of the season and in the coming years.

I figured we should track it throughout the season to see what, if anything, is changing with the opportunities afforded to the youth.

Round 1 thoughts:

- Shuey only at 10 CBAs, played predominantly off the half back flank even in the final quarter. Down massively on his 2022 CBA numbers. Still played a great game, this usage is a good sign in my mind.

- Ginbey 16/O'Neill 16 ✅

- Gaff zero ✅

- JJ could use a few more. I'm not saying 10 a game, but he makes things happen.

- Having seven 'mids' rotate through is promising. Last year we had multiple games with only four or five guys getting a run through the middle.

Seven different guys in the midfield mix is a must if we're going to blood the kids, and really is a must for competitive teams to win football games anyway. For comparison, in Round 1 Melbourne had seven, Collingwood seven, Sydney seven, Geelong six.

- Won the centre clearances (12-10, +2), absolutely decimated in the total clearances (26-41, -15). 14 clearances around the ground compared to North's 31. Bloody hell.

- Hunt and Gaff currently running at an All Australian midfield level. Each have one centre clearance won from zero centre bounces attended, for a whopping infinite% CC:CBA ratio.

Key CBAs:
Opening Bounce Q1: Williams, Kelly, O'Neill, Shuey (Chesser and Gaff)
Opening Bounce Q2: Williams, O'Neill, Sheed, Shuey (Chesser and Gaff)
Opening Bounce Q3: Williams, Kelly, O'Neill, Shuey (Chesser and Gaff)
Opening Bounce Q4: Williams, Kelly, O'Neill, Sheed (Gaff and Hunt)
Q4 2:50, WCE 82 - 85 NM: Williams, Ginbey, Kelly, Sheed (Gaff and Hunt)

Having drafted Culley/Ginbey/Chesser/Hough/Hewett, there is an expectation that we will see a shift in the midfield dynamic over the course of the season and in the coming years.

I figured we should track it throughout the season to see what, if anything, is changing with the opportunities afforded to the youth.

Round 1 thoughts:

- Shuey only at 10 CBAs, played predominantly off the half back flank even in the final quarter. Still played a great game, but this usage is a good sign in my mind.

- Ginbey 16/O'Neill 16 ✅

- Gaff zero ✅

- JJ could use a few more. I'm not saying 10 a game, but he makes things happen.

- Having seven 'mids' rotate through is promising. Last year we had multiple games with only four or five guys getting a run through the middle.

Seven different guys in the midfield mix is a must if we're going to blood the kids, and really is a must for competitive teams to win football games anyway. For comparison, in Round 1 Melbourne had seven, Collingwood seven, Sydney seven, Geelong six.
Great idea, really interested to follow this. Keep it going

How difficult would it be to document who lines up on the wings each CB?
I feel like there's an oppo poster who does this and posts the results on every board each week. Can't see how you'd do it without going through the tape, unless there's some league level stats package that they have access to.

In any event, it won't be me 😂

I feel like there's an oppo poster who does this and posts the results on every board each week. Can't see how you'd do it without going through the tape, unless there's some league level stats package that they have access to.

In any event, it won't be me 😂

Sorry I just figured you were obsessed and going through the tape. Way to phone it in, guy

I don't know why, when you are getting pumped at clearances you keep rolling the dice and letting the opposition have a free player on the defensive side, invariably that's where it ends up. Surely you have to adjust and tighten up defensively.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 1 thoughts:

- Shuey only at 10 CBAs, played predominantly off the half back flank even in the final quarter. Down massively on his 2022 CBA numbers. Still played a great game, but this usage is a good sign in my mind.

- Ginbey 16/O'Neill 16 ✅

- Gaff zero ✅

- Won the centre clearances (12-10, +2), absolutely decimated in the total clearances (26-41, -15). 14 clearances around the ground compared to North's 31. Bloody hell.

- Hunt and Gaff currently running at an All Australian midfield level. Each have one centre clearance won from zero centre bounces attended, for a whopping infinite% CC:CBA ratio.

Key CBAs:
Opening Bounce Q1: Williams, Kelly, O'Neill, Shuey (Chesser and Gaff)
Opening Bounce Q2: Williams, O'Neill, Sheed, Shuey (Chesser and Gaff)
Opening Bounce Q3: Williams, Kelly, O'Neill, Shuey (Chesser and Gaff)
Opening Bounce Q4: Williams, Kelly, O'Neill, Sheed (Gaff and Hunt)
Q4 2:50, WCE 82 - 85 NM: Williams, Ginbey, Kelly, Sheed (Gaff and Hunt)
Thanks for making the effort to put that together👍

Real bad for Jamo having just 5 attended as the ruckman (yes he was subbed out) would of thoughthe would at least be in double figures.

- Ginbey 16/O'Neill 16 ✅
A picture tells a thousand words -
Screenshot_20230319-091044.png

Kill it now, or give him one more go against GWS?
I don't think he is going to make it as a midfielder. Know he has been in and out of the team and never given a proper go, but the times he has he looks out of place and I'd rather be allowing the newer recruits a crack in the middle.

Guess that puts to bed the people sooking about Gaff being at every CBD...
No one has ever said Gaff played at every centre bounce, that’s just you talking rubbish.
People including me have strongly made the point that he shouldn’t be attending centre bounces, full stop.
He was a champion wingman, who was forced into a role he was no good at.
I’m very happy to see him back on he wing, so stop your sooking.

Excellent thread idea - thanks for this.

O'Neill 16 CBA's shocks me a little. I was giving him a bit of an excuse for a quiet game but that's crazy.

He probably gets a second crack next week given the absences of Yeo and Culley but another performance like that will see him banished to the WAFL for a block of games minimum. Hopefully aside from the obvious Yeo and Culley examples, someone like a Ledwards or Winder also bob up and compete for his spot.

No one has ever said Gaff played at every centre bounce, that’s just you talking rubbish.
People including me have strongly made the point that he shouldn’t be attending centre bounces, full stop.
I wouldn't say he was no good at it, but I don't think it is an optimal use of his talent. However, team structure is complex, and at times there may be more value having an 80% Gaff in the middle than a 100% Gaff on the wing.

I'm not convinced we got the balance right, but it's too simplistic to say it should be black or white.

There were people whinging in the gameday thread about Gaff being in centre bounces...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back