Strategy Centre Bounce Attendance Tracker + Clearance Stats

Remove this Banner Ad

Giddy up boys and girls, you're about to get some searing CBA insights from me, a man who couldn't watch the game and has yet to catch the replay they've been meaning to every night this week.

- A standard rotation this week, seven in total but this week it's Shuey (3) and Clark (1) who just scrape in. Pretty much in line with recent weeks.

- Culley's four goals jump out of the stat sheet, but there's a different role and a different role. 0 CBAs after running at 70% for the previous two games. Wild stuff.

- Shuey, injury patchiness notwithstanding, had a seriously low number of CBAs. Three in total, and yet still came away with two centre clearances. I know his body is cooked but you can see how much they're getting from him in small bursts, it's no wonder they're trying to persist. Leads us in centre clearances per game (tied with TK), while attending just 26% of centre bounces in games he's played. ****ed output.

- Kelly, * all left to say at this point. 90% CBAs, four CC, eight total clearances, 24 touches, second most metres gained for the club, coaches' votes. He's ******* great.

- Ginbey's stats alarm me somewhat but once again caveat with I missed the game. No clearances, low disposal numbers, 38% CBAs after running at 60% throughout the year. Eight tackles though, mint. Will be very keen to watch his game back.

- Bailey MFing Williams. End of bullet point.

- Trew and LEdwards with 13 and 15 each is pleasing, especially as LEd went from zero to 15 in a week. LEd now fourth for clearances per game behind TK/Shuey/Sheed. Can't comment on Trew's game without having seen it, seemed alright from Alesana's fantastic clip thread. Attendance and role is pleasing.

- Petch, four clearances, led us for inside 50s. Sure, why not? Good word that he drives it a mile off the tee, maybe worth a look as the kickout option?

- Gaff, another who I'm curious as to the role for the season but once again looked fine on the clips. Four clearances, only two centre clearances from 18 CBAs and he is now most definitely eating up too many CBAs for me, even with this new defensive role inside. Four tackles only, but then led us in score involvements. Not sure. I think it's a bad allocation of resources.

Overall we won the centre clearances (+3) and total clearances (+1) for the second time this season, thanks in no small part to Bailey and TK.

Curious to see how they use the kids going forward, as LEd/Trew got their best midfield stretch of the year but very much at the expense of Culley and Ginbey. Not sure that balance is right, even if the Culley experiment worked.

Having watched every game closely a second time, Luke Edwards is one of the biggest ones to watch for me. He gets the ball so many times but is instantly wrapped up in a tackle. I think at times he could almost just throw it on the boot like Gaff does, but it seems like he'd rather either have an effective disposal or have another ball-up. If he just throws it on the boot more or can get better at releasing a handball under close physical pressure then he could consistently have 25 disposal games IMO.

I Having watched every game closely a second time, Luke Edwards is one of the biggest ones to watch for me. He gets the ball so many times but is instantly wrapped up in a tackle. I think at times he could almost just throw it on the boot like Gaff does, but it seems like he'd rather either have an effective disposal or have another ball-up. If he just throws it on the boot more or can get better at releasing a handball under close physical pressure then he could consistently have 25 disposal games IMO.
I try and watch the replays (but have only watched the first half of the Carlton game so far) and your comment illustrates the reason we struggle. There is a huge difference in how it comes out of the stoppages. Carlton players where on the move all the time and ours were all defensive. There was one passage where Cripps was behind the ball in the centre and he was able to run through the dead centre with no opposition. It’s no excuse saying we don’t have a dominant ruck as Collingwood don’t have any but still get the ball out cleanly and St Kilda don’t have quality mids but manage to get their share. Our team set up is abysmal at the moment and that is contributing to the blow outs…along with turnovers. We spend most of our time chasing the opposition.

Bump. Iconic for Badge to start such a concept and then disappear into oblivion

Scared Homer Simpson GIF by reactionseditor

I wanted to see if we've tried Long at the centre bounce much yet. Don't recall seeing him there, but would love to roll the dice with it.

Intended to fix this during the bye as I absolutely let it slip.

Suspect it’s not going to be as useful as I’d hoped though given the massive rotation of players week to week. Was hoping to track everyone’s role as they developed, but right now it’s sort of if you can walk you play.

Will fix and see if we can glean anything at all. Shuey’s role on Saturday looked consistent with his HBF starting position and then pushing up to the contest after the first stoppage, so keen to watch that for as long as he’s healthy.

I think there will be a pretty significant change when you do update it.

Yeo on ball, which he was for most of the essendon/collingwood/adelaide games makes an enormous difference- after getting smacked in the clearances against gc hawthorn, we beat essendon and collingwood in crntre clearances. Then against Adelaide they started Yeo in defence for the first quarter and got absolutely obliterated before putting him back on ball.

Yeo/Kelly/Sheed actually works pretty well in combination- they've played some games together and Yeo's ability to win the hard ball both creates clearances for him and frees up the other two to play more of their natural game, which is to get a few steps out of the contest and rove loose balls.

Which is why I cringed so hard when Yeo went to Fogarty in the goal square at the opening bounce. I get we were hilariously undermanned down back, but weakening one of the few areas on the ground where things are actually going right to try to deal with that was a really really bad call.

Yeo is at best a makeshift key defender, he's strong bodied for a midfielder but he's not a behemoth and he's 190cm. And when you decimate one of the few parts of the team that was actually going okay to paper over cracks elsewhere, you're effectively guaranteeing a triple digit loss.

Intended to fix this during the bye as I absolutely let it slip.

Suspect it’s not going to be as useful as I’d hoped though given the massive rotation of players week to week. Was hoping to track everyone’s role as they developed, but right now it’s sort of if you can walk you play.

Will fix and see if we can glean anything at all. Shuey’s role on Saturday looked consistent with his HBF starting position and then pushing up to the contest after the first stoppage, so keen to watch that for as long as he’s healthy.

I feel like Dom Sheed has taken this a bit too literally.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back