Politics Centrelink

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you claiming there's a relationship between unemployment/poverty rate and crime?

Yep, unfortunately so, because if a rich person performs a behaviour it is ok, if a poor person performs exactly the same behaviour it is a crime.

For us to get anywhere on a discussion like this, we first need to agree on what statistics are the most reliable source we have. Next, we look at the unemployed-job vacancy ratio. If it's true that there's approximately 715,000 unemployed Australians and 175,000 job vacancies then this means not everyone can get a job, especially if they're not suited to it. However, what geelong_crazy 26 said about contacting organisations directly via email or phone or even word of mouth or a knock on the door is your next best shot. I would assume that if they're not putting out a job advertisement, though, that a compromise would need to be made to get you a foot in the door. Instead of getting a full-time job with someone who wasn't advertising, they might give you a shot at part-time work, and if they do you can try and get another part-time job. It's tough to say. I really don't think governments are doing everything in their power to facilitate economic development, though, particularly in rural Australia, and until government department rorting is legitimately investigated we will not see much improvement from communities like Northam with high youth unemployment.

May be wrong on this but from memory the employment statistics are complete BS in this country. If I remember correctly as long as you claim to be actively seeking employment you are actually classed as being employed. Hence why unemployment figures are complete bullshit.

Note, I may be wrong on this but I studied this early last year and remember this point. Will have a look for the proper figures when I get home.

I think you have to be classed as actively l0ooking for work to be considered unemployed. Those who, for whatever reason, haven't approached Centrelink are not counted as unemployed. Only once an application is lodged (might have to be successful, but not necessarily yet receiving payment) does "unemplyed" get counted.

One hour of paid work is considered "employed", this changed in the early 90s and is an international standard. That will include these new interns for whom a lot of the cost of travel will eat up most of their extra daily money, and rob them of time to be searching for work - as well as taking a role that would otherwise be filled by somebody on actual money. If a parent they will go backwards greatly once childcare, etc, is factored in. But they will be considered "employed".

They paid tax during their working life which would ultimately get them a pension later in life.

Then what because some external market forces push up property prices they should sell their home where they raised their family so you can take a free ride on their wealth.

Go after people's investments. Just leave the family home.

Nah.......go after the family home as well but in a fair and equitable manner. Simply done by applying a lien over the title for the amount of pension paid.

Why should a home owner be better off than a renter with investments?

Nah.......go after the family home as well but in a fair and equitable manner. Simply done by applying a lien over the title for the amount of pension paid.

Why should a home owner be better off than a renter with investments?
How many pensioners would not own a home and instead rented with money sitting in investments? Id be shocked if it was a material number. In any case the rules are rather clear about the home/residence being excluded.

What if we have two people who both earned the exact same amount of money over their working life...one buys a house in a decent area...the other buys a dump and wastes all their disposable money on holidays, eating out etc....So the person who saved their money to buy a better place is essentially penalized? is that fair? They both earned the same, both contributed the same income tax...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many pensioners would not own a home and instead rented with money sitting in investments? Id be shocked if it was a material number. In any case the rules are rather clear about the home/residence being excluded.

What if we have two people who both earned the exact same amount of money over their working life...one buys a house in a decent area...the other buys a dump and wastes all their disposable money on holidays, eating out etc....So the person who saved their money to buy a better place is essentially penalized? is that fair? They both earned the same, both contributed the same income tax...

Sadly people do rort the system and stupidity, laziness and wastefulness is rewarded when it comes to welfare.

However it is a necessary social framework be it the dole or the pension.

Where we have it wrong is we should have work for the dole and work for the pension. Neither is a punishment or extracting value from the welfare recipient. Rather ensuring everyone is engaged and participating in the community.

What would you have them do?

Just like china

May be tai chi or art class in the park, teaching home ec at schools, gardening, flower arrangements at bus stops and train stations, reporting graffiti or reporting unsafe footpaths, working in soup kitchens, checking in on the elderly, working in a lions shed, working in a school canteen, work for the local council.

Whatever it is, it's about them participating and remaining mentally healthy and engaged.

Just like china

May be tai chi or art class in the park, teaching home ec at schools, gardening, flower arrangements at bus stops and train stations, reporting graffiti or reporting unsafe footpaths, working in soup kitchens, checking in on the elderly, working in a lions shed, working in a school canteen, work for the local council.

Whatever it is, it's about them participating and remaining mentally healthy and engaged.
So its not working for the pension its community volunteering. Until when? And why arent those elderly they are checking in on not also doing WFP?

tspt.gif

*en spin THAT ya campaigners

tspt.gif

****en spin THAT ya campaigners

Too many job snobs , plenty of industries are looking for jobs but some on the dole either don't want to work or will only take a job they will like to do .

Look at this article I just found about a shortage of workers in the hospitality sector , but lets be honest lots of people on the dole don't want to work on their feet in a fast paced environment especially when it often involves working nights and weekends .

"Deloitte Access Economics' Australian Tourism Labour Force Report 2015-2020 shows a dramatic increase in hospitality businesses suffering skills shortages to 69 per cent of all surveyed, with a predicted 123,000-worker shortfall to hit the industry by 2020"

http://www.goodfood.com.au/eat-out/news/why-no-one-wants-to-be-a-chef-20170811-gxu1gs

Other industries are also searching for workers too .

Too many job snobs , plenty of industries are looking for jobs but some on the dole either don't want to work or will only take a job they will like to do .

Look at this article I just found about a shortage of workers in the hospitality sector , but lets be honest lots of people on the dole don't want to work on their feet in a fast paced environment especially when it often involves working nights and weekends .

"Deloitte Access Economics' Australian Tourism Labour Force Report 2015-2020 shows a dramatic increase in hospitality businesses suffering skills shortages to 69 per cent of all surveyed, with a predicted 123,000-worker shortfall to hit the industry by 2020"

http://www.goodfood.com.au/eat-out/news/why-no-one-wants-to-be-a-chef-20170811-gxu1gs

Other industries are also searching for workers too .

That's as far as i got.

Same ol same ol regurgitated Murdoch playbook soft shite.

That's as far as i got.
Same ol same ol regurgitated Murdoch playbook soft shite.
Fairfax but just as bad, using the excuse of shortages so they can keep bringing in 457 visa workers.

One point in the article state that one owner has spent $2.5M in 12 months on training. I call that 'rubbish'!

I know of a number of young people desperate to become an apprentice chef.
Knock backs all around, eventually a couple have gotten jobs as kitchen hands in pubs hoping to work their way up.

Can you explain why we have massive shortage of workers in a number of industries such as hospitality ? why are people on the dole not doing these jobs

Sound likes the truth hurts
Can you explain why there are fewer jobs than job seekers? And how that works with your narrative of 'job snobs'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back