Politics Centrelink

Can you explain why we have massive shortage of workers in a number of industries such as hospitality ? why are people on the dole not doing these jobs

Sound likes the truth hurts

images.jpg

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Fairfax but just as bad, using the excuse of shortages so they can keep bringing in 457 visa workers.

One point in the article state that one owner has spent $2.5M in 12 months on training. I call that 'rubbish'!

I know of a number of young people desperate to become an apprentice chef.
Knock backs all around, eventually a couple have gotten jobs as kitchen hands in pubs hoping to work their way up.

They are not just talking about chefs but about cooks ,waiters and publicans . The reality is that working unsociable hours on your feet in a fast paced environment does not appeal to many on the dole .

Its not just hospitality but mining and agriculture that has a shortage of workers but once again they involve hard work which puts many on the dole off .

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong

Deloitte Access Economics' Australian is not news Corp .

You know it as well as I do you just don't want to admit that a large percent and I agree we can debate how big that is but its decent number of people on the dole are picky about what job they will take .

are all those on the dole willing to take any job ?

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Can you explain why there are fewer jobs than job seekers? And how that works with your narrative of 'job snobs'.

That does not mean that their should be less people on the dole , their might be 100 people out of work and 30 jobs vacant meaning 30 less people should be on the dole .

The issue is not so much with short term but long term dole recipients. Jobs are always becoming available and its reasonable to expect that a person who doesn't have a disability can find a job within 12 months and that's being very generous. It like rolling a dice , if you keep on doing it your number will come up .

are all those on the dole willing to take any job ?

You know it's not " All " , but that's not what you were getting at was it ?

3 qtrs of your supposed " Job snobs " are more than likely reffos from Gillards gutting of the DSP , if you got out in the real world every now and then you'd know this.

I know exactly what you are , just another Kool-aid mineral-lacker.
Sad campaigners who hate themselves so much they need to s**t on EVERYONE.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
You know it's not " All " , but that's not what you were getting at was it ?

3 qtrs of your supposed " Job snobs " are more than likely reffos from Gillards gutting of the DSP , if you got out in the real world every now and then you'd know this.

I know exactly what you are , just another Kool-aid mineral-lacker.
Sad campaigners who hate themselves so much they need to s**t on EVERYONE.

so you admit there are some job snobs out there ? good to hear

By they was I have plenty of money so no need for me to hate myself .

By they was I have plenty of money so no need for me to hate myself .

Ah now i understand

It's just that you're a campaigner

GOOD TO KNOW

Is obvious to everyone here anyway but at least you own it.

Looks like a hit a raw nerve by providing evidence that some on the dole are job snobs .

No but you set off my " Smarmy campaigner " detector though.

The REAL struck-nerve was when you saw my post regarding the ACOSS figures , you know ACOSS yes ??
You understand their entire existence is devoted to getting the numbers spot on , yes ?
Yet in you came all triggered and s**t trying your best to spin it with some lazy group-think sprinkled in.

And yeah * ME for taking umbrage with your tone.
Seen hundreds of people exactly like you around here , all spout the same brainwashed shite.
Fooling no one.

Soft *ers trying to boost their egos

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
No but you set off my " Smarmy campaigner " detector though.

The REAL struck-nerve was when you saw my post regarding the ACOSS figures , you know ACOSS yes ??
You understand their entire existence is devoted to getting the numbers spot on , yes ?
Yet in you came all triggered and s**t trying your best to spin it with some lazy group-think sprinkled in.

And yeah **** ME for taking umbrage with your tone.
Seen hundreds of people exactly like you around here , all spout the same brainwashed shite.
Fooling no one.

Soft ******s trying to boost their egos

Yes nice rant , time to face the truth that many people on the dole are either jobs snobs or people who do not want to work . Not all but a reasonable percent .

Yes nice rant , time to face the truth that many people on the dole are either jobs snobs or people who do not want to work . Not all but a reasonable percent .

Go on then........

Have a stab seeing you're the expert here

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
Coles and Woolies sell prepaid Visas in their gift cards section. Take them through tge self service checkout and bingo.

How do they work? Like, can they only be activated once they've been scanned through a checkout or something?

Otherwise it seems like you might as well hang cash in the aisles for the shoplifters too.

They are not just talking about chefs but about cooks ,waiters and publicans . The reality is that working unsociable hours on your feet in a fast paced environment does not appeal to many on the dole .

Its not just hospitality but mining and agriculture that has a shortage of workers but once again they involve hard work which puts many on the dole off .
Duh!
Hospitality=waiters, cooks, chefs, kitchen staff, front of business etc etc.
Having worked in the education area I knew that!

With all the cooking shows on TV, kids are keen to get into the field but cheaper to import staff.

big_bazza

Club Legend
Dec 5, 2005
Tas
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
sydney swans
I stupidly paid them $1200 back to them from a year when i received about $2,000 of payment from them all up, i knew it wasnt right at the time but i stupidly paid when the lady on the phone told me there was no point reviewing it and that if i didnt pay by a certain date id have the debt collectors onto me.

Ive since realised how much of a * up it was on my behalf by just paying them, if i had have waited a month or 2 for all the s**t storm in the media about it and how much of a rort it was then i certantly wouldnt have paid it, im not sure theres much i can do about it now though. Does anyone know if theres any chance ill be able to get my money back?

I stupidly paid them $1200 back to them from a year when i received about $2,000 of payment from them all up, i knew it wasnt right at the time but i stupidly paid when the lady on the phone told me there was no point reviewing it and that if i didnt pay by a certain date id have the debt collectors onto me.

Ive since realised how much of a **** up it was on my behalf by just paying them, if i had have waited a month or 2 for all the s**t storm in the media about it and how much of a rort it was then i certantly wouldnt have paid it, im not sure theres much i can do about it now though. Does anyone know if theres any chance ill be able to get my money back?

That's exactly what they counted on.
People not being 100% sure what was going on , finding out thesudden need to have kept payslips from the previous 300 years.
Underhanded sneaky craven s**t , i'd say i was shocked and surprised but then i realised it was a Liberal govt being run by catholic arseholes.

I'm not sure how you' go about getting that money back but i wouldn't be holding my breath

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Why would anyone willingly live on $500 a fortnight?

I've just spent 10 days with the in laws.

They have a 24 year old son who lives pretty comfortably on it. When he's not eating he's quite happy to spend his whole time on line gaming.

Very low running costs.

big_bazza

Club Legend
Dec 5, 2005
Tas
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
sydney swans
The whole idea of a cash card is flawed imo, its not going to be hard for someone with a cash card to acquire such things like drugs, alcohol ciggarettes. They will just offer to their friends/neighbours e.t.c to go and use there card for a say $110 shop at coles and then get say $100 cash and thats how simple it is. Short of asking for i.d to prove you are the cardholder, which they surely cant make you do, this is one of the ways around the idea of their welfare payments only going on food, fuel, nappies e.t.c.

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The whole idea of a cash card is flawed imo, its not going to be hard for someone with a cash card to acquire such things like drugs, alcohol ciggarettes. They will just offer to their friends/neighbours e.t.c to go and use there card for a say $110 shop at coles and then get say $100 cash and thats how simple it is. Short of asking for i.d to prove you are the cardholder, which they surely cant make you do, this is one of the ways around the idea of their welfare payments only going on food, fuel, nappies e.t.c.

Exactly, and even if they required ID, if people want to write themselves off in some way, they'll find a way to do it. It's the same thing as banning grog in some aboriginal communities. They'll just go for weed, petrol, or paint, whatever works. What's making people want to get high in the first place needs to be addressed.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox

Exactly, and even if they required ID, if people want to write themselves off in some way, they'll find a way to do it. It's the same thing as banning grog in some aboriginal communities. They'll just go for weed, petrol, or paint, whatever works. What's making people want to get high in the first place needs to be addressed.
There are also people willing to exploit people by overpricing their goods for cash ie $100 slabs etc

Further update on my friend's application for aged pension - now coming up to 4 months since first applied and only received one email from them, still going through checks.:eek:

Just as well she is getting quite a bit of casual work otherwise would be dipping into her savings and besides at 66 she loves working, shame about the crooks that went into voluntary liquidation and her losing some $50K in wages and super. Great idea of this government giving millions of $$$ to Education Private Providers but hey, Abbott got a new suit out of it from his daughter's college.

Can't possibly imagine how others that don't have her skills in finding employment would be coping.

Back