Politics Centrelink

Remove this Banner Ad

I too would like to meet Alan

I'm guessing GC's " Concerns about welfare " amount basically to " campaigners getting ANY welfare , especially those nasty lefties on BF !!!! "

I was thinking the same. Unlikely a Lib supporter be 'lets get a fairer system, Alan' ?

Have a staff member at work who got a letter about owing Centrelink money . He started working for my farther in October 2015 and was on news start before that .

He said that he notified new start about his new job and did not receive $1 of them since he started working but they still claim he owes money .

Not going to directly talk about this case because obviously Tudge cant do anything about it himself but I will bring this issue up first about falsely accusing people they owe you money .

Have a staff member at work who got a letter about owing Centrelink money . He started working for my farther in October 2015 and was on news start before that .

He said that he notified new start about his new job and did not receive $1 of them since he started working but they still claim he owes money .

Not going to directly talk about this case because obviously Tudge cant do anything about it himself but I will bring this issue up first about falsely accusing people they owe you money .

I'm guessing Mr Tudge didn't come up with the idea.

Not sure who did , but I do think its very rough to send people on Centrelink a letter saying they owe money when they done nothing. This guy is lucky to have a job but for some it would be very rough.

The reason I have this meeting with him is because I do so much volunteering in this area for the liberals . I wont go into specific details just say I know some people who are greatly distressed by incorrectly being told they owe Centrelink money .

Not sure who did , but I do think its very rough to send people on Centrelink a letter saying they owe money when they done nothing. This guy is lucky to have a job but for some it would be very rough.

The reason I have this meeting with him is because I do so much volunteering in this area for the liberals . I wont go into specific details just say I know some people who are greatly distressed by incorrectly being told they owe Centrelink money .
They got me for $1300 and i stupidly paid after being threatened to have debt collectors onto me if i didnt pay up, the funny thing is i didnt get much more off them for that year than what i had to pay back, i was only on payments for a few months.

Further update on my friend who applied for aged pension on 24th May, they are still looking at her application.
Apart from her super, she does not have any assetts and is renting.
Lucky she has picked up quite a bit of casual work since the company she worked for went bankrupt.
She hasn't pushed it apart from a couple of phone calls but imagine if she wasn't working.
Maybe Serco is handling it. :p

I hope Tudge isnt a dual citizen

Alan Tudge, an Australian politician, is a member of the Australian House of Representatives for the seat of Aston representing the Liberal Party of Australia. Wikipedia

Born: (age 46), Douglas, Isle of Man

So its not working for the pension its community volunteering. Until when? And why arent those elderly they are checking in on not also doing WFP?

Yep

Hopefully community programs run at community levels will help a sense of belonging, support and benefit.

That does not mean that their should be less people on the dole , their might be 100 people out of work and 30 jobs vacant meaning 30 less people should be on the dole .

The issue is not so much with short term but long term dole recipients. Jobs are always becoming available and its reasonable to expect that a person who doesn't have a disability can find a job within 12 months and that's being very generous. It like rolling a dice , if you keep on doing it your number will come up .

Yep

In reality there are way more jobs than people. Our issue as a nation is there are barriers to mobilising people rather than a lack of work or lack of opportunities.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I got a so-called "Income Review" about a month ago. For the financial year 11/12 ffs, I mean who keeps detailed records from that far back? (Especially given that there is no requirement for said records to be kept).

Despite my previous comment, I was actually one of those who DID keep records luckily enough. And the only reason I did was that I was doing casual work at the time and had previously done casual work and been dudded by a crooked employer - so after that I got into the habit of keeping payslips, recording hours, pay rates, etc to make sure everything (including super) was spot on.

After speaking with Centrelink support staff, I gathered that those who copped a review and didn't keep records had to go back to their employer(s) from the period and seek them. If the employer didn't exist any more, then it was bank statements that were required (which obviously only supply net amounts, in which case Centrelink apparently applied a formula to calculate the gross amount to check to the Payment Summary). All this is obviously an imposition on both the person being reviewed AND the past employer(s).

Despite having the necessary info, the whole exercise still took me about 4-5 hours to complete (online registration, trying to sort out the online system, making phone calls, digging up records, etc). And while I am no genius - I was smart enough to get it done and work it out, so I really feel for those with no aptitude to do the sort of work required to fulfill the review.

Anyway, it turned out that I had no debt to pay. Because - I worked for one distinct part of 2011/12 and claimed Newstart for a separate distinct part of 2011/12. Ie, my working and claiming Newstart at no stage overlapped. However, the problem is Centrelink can't tell this from the Payment Summaries they are cross matching against, as those payment summaries only cover the full financial year. So Centrelink averages the gross amount from the PS over 26 fortnights and bingo - we have a problem, because on that basis people are claiming Newstart without declaring employment income.

Putting people through this - especially when we are talking about what happened 5 years ago - is clearly an exercise to bully and intimidate vulnerable people. At least the grubs in the Coalition got shamed into implementing a review process rather than just immediately issuing debt notices as they had been doing (which drove one person to suicide).

Going forward of course there is a simple solution to instances such as mine - make the employer put the "period employed" on the Payment Summary as well as the gross amount earned. In my case (again) Centrelink could have seen that there was no overlap between my employment and my receipt of Newstart - and not even had to instigate a review. I doubt if it would be a major imposition on employers to have to do such a thing either. Easy peasy, all around.

Last edited:
I got a so-called "Income Review" about a month ago. For the financial year 11/12 ffs, I mean who keeps detailed records from that far back? (Especially given that there is no requirement for said records to be kept).

Luckily, I was one of those who DID keep records. And the only reason I did was that I was doing casual work at the time and had previously done casual work and been dudded by a crooked employer - so after that I got into the habit of keeping payslips, recording hours, pay rates, etc to make sure everything (including super) was spot on.

After speaking with Centrelink support staff, I gathered that those who copped a review and didn't keep records had to go back to their employer(s) from the period and seek them. If the employer didn't exist any more, then it was bank statements that were required (which obviously only supply net amounts, in which case Centrelink apparently applied a formula to calculate the gross amount to check to the Payment Summary). All this is obviously an imposition on both the person being reviewed AND the past employer(s).

Despite having the necessary info, the whole exercise still took me about 4-5 hours to complete (online registration, trying to sort out the online system, making phone calls, digging up records, etc). And while I am no genius - I was smart enough to get it done and work it out, so I really feel for those with no aptitude to do the sort of work required to fulfill the review.

Anyway, it turned out that I had no debt to pay. Because - I worked for one distinct part of 2011/12 and claimed Newstart for a separate distinct part of 2011/12. Ie, my working and claiming Newstart at no stage overlapped. However, Centrelink can't tell this from the Payment Summaries they are cross matching against, as those payment summaries only cover the full financial year. So Centrelink averages the gross amount from the PS over 26 fortnights and bingo - we have a problem, because on that basis people are claiming Newstart without declaring employment income.

Putting people through this - especially when we are talking about what happened 5 years ago - is clearly an exercise to bully and intimidate vulnerable people. At least the grubs in the Coalition got shamed into implementing a review process rather than just immediately issuing debt notices (which drove one person to suicide).

Going forward of course there is a simple solution to instances such as mine - make the employer put the "period employed" on the Payment Summary as well as the gross amount earned. In my case (again) Centrelink could have seen that there was no overlap between my employment and my receipt of Newstart - and not even had to instigate a review. I doubt if it would be a major imposition on employers to have to do such a thing either. Easy peasy, all around.

Something has gone horrible wrong , I don't think there is any doubt about that .

Something has gone horrible wrong , I don't think there is any doubt about that .
And from your viewpoint (as an employer), the thing is that it is not just the employees getting dragged into this - it is the employers as well, because they are the ones who have to provide payslips from 5 years ago if the employee hasn't got them.

I think Stuart Robert was Minister at the time the debacle was "planned". But the whole thing was obviously going to fail from the get-go.
make no mistake, this was a deliberate policy decision; not an IT failure. The IT side works almost as planned. DHS has a lot of faults in their systems, and the data is barely there to make it workable - but this was clearly designed to be punishing and to presume guilt.

I think Stuart Robert was Minister at the time the debacle was "planned". But the whole thing was obviously going to fail from the get-go.
make no mistake, this was a deliberate policy decision; not an IT failure. The IT side works almost as planned. DHS has a lot of faults in their systems, and the data is barely there to make it workable - but this was clearly designed to be punishing and to presume guilt.

And i said exactly that if people care to go back and look.
Let's be honest , we ALL know who REALLY thought it up.

Same coward that's ****ed this nation for everyone*

* Except his mates

Jesus, I got one of those stupid letters today and I've never even been on the dole.

It's from when I worked the first half of the financial year a while ago before leaving to go to uni in the new year. They've obviously done their usual trick of averaging my 6 months of pay out over a whole year and assumed I'd claimed Austudy for 6 months while not declaring income I was receiving.

Lucky I'd already read this thread, but I assume I still have to chase up my old work to prove it? I don't seem to have any of those payslips saved on my email.

Just on sunrise. We spend $300 million every minute on welfare. Can not be sustained.
You didnt even check those figures in your head did you.

Do the maths

Just on sunrise. We spend $300 million every minute on welfare. Can not be sustained.

Yeah, I expected the Formula One on TV this morning, not the shock of seeing Sunrise, now I know, I know, never look directly into the sun, but I'm still seeing purple spots everywhere from it. The issue here, is the people in charge create the problems that they are trying to solve, they are the problem.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back