Summer Ch7 wins Olympic rights

Remove this Banner Ad

She's been doing poolside interviews with families and coaches and stuff and probably gushing over men in speedo's.

But of course. Someone needs to do that useless, annoying job which adds absolutely sweet FA to the coverage.

I love poolside interviews. I love lots of huffing and puffing and I get a big hard-on every single time PB (personal best) gets mentioned. :rolleyes:

can't believe they're using basil for the swimming. he's bloody hopeless. they should have used dennis for one last olympics.

Cometti probably gave his blessing as it is a well known fact that Big Nose Baz is a disciple of Dennis and has always looked up to him (both are from Perth). Baz also played in the WAFL for West Perth, the same team Cometti had coached a long time ago.

Anyone know if there is any Australian Radio coverage? I thought I read that Grandstand were not going to cover the Olympics due to costs? Fairfax?

Triple M have the FM radio rights. They will set up a digital radio station and stream the Channel 7 coverage.

No news yet on ABC Grandstand.

Remember - the TV coverage is not designed to appeal to sports fans - we'll watch it, no matter who is commentating. If Humphrey B Bear was commentating, we'd watch. (Actually, HBB would be a great commentator in some circumstances - like those where we can see what's happening with our own eyes - eg, most of the bloody time).

The hosts, commentators and experts are designed to appeal to the casual, 'theatre-goers' who think sport is something like Big Brother Master Fat Renovations, and the most important thing is which athlete has the sickest grandma or cutest puppy. That's the audience demographic they are trying to grow (plus, the advertisers love those people, and will pay more if those are watching).

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Remember - the TV coverage is not designed to appeal to sports fans - we'll watch it, no matter who is commentating. If Humphrey B Bear was commentating, we'd watch. (Actually, HBB would be a great commentator in some circumstances - like those where we can see what's happening with our own eyes - eg, most of the bloody time).

The hosts, commentators and experts are designed to appeal to the casual, 'theatre-goers' who think sport is something like Big Brother Master Fat Renovations, and the most important thing is which athlete has the sickest grandma or cutest puppy. That's the audience demographic they are trying to grow (plus, the advertisers love those people, and will pay more if those are watching).

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Sad but true.

When the Olympics were on Channel 9 last time, it just felt weird. Channel 7 all the way.
I didn't watch a lot of 9 last time, I concentrated on Fox Sports and their 8 channels. The athletics had just about the same line up except Bruce out and Peter Doneghan in and he did a brilliant job. Plus getting Daley Thompson!!!

Still no word on any radio coverage which I rely on a fair bit at work. So far it is just Triple M digital with a relay of the Channel 7 coverage.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still no word on any radio coverage which I rely ln a fair bit at work. So far it is just Triple M digital with a relay of the Channel 7 coverage.
Are ABC out?? Bloody hell that is s**t. Bloody Mark Scott and his idea to move big resources to online and digital part of the ABC.

Still no word on any radio coverage which I rely ln a fair bit at work. So far it is just Triple M digital with a relay of the Channel 7 coverage.

Are ABC out?? Bloody hell that is s**t. Bloody Mark Scott and his idea to move big resources to online and digital part of the ABC.

I believe the ABC will be broadcasting the Olympics in one form or another, because they have alluded to a few times on AFL 360 that Gerard will be going to Rio next month.

I didn't watch 9s coverage so Foxtel all the way. 7s Olympic coverage has been s**t at best since they didn't show susie oniels gold medal race live and in full in Sydney. Because they wanted to show Qantas I call Australia home more than 5 times in one ad break

Athens ads more than sport

Bejing ads and ads of TiVo with not showing enough sports live

All commercial Free TV main channels are some what s**t because they have to have a zillion commercials to try to cover broadcast rights $$$ paid to the IOC + broadcast production costs. Then they pander to the plebs and have a ridiculous amount of replays of Aussie winning medals or swimming as its in the first week and we do well in that. They miss out on great moments and make out they are showing them live when they might be an hour delayed.

Its why the ABC radio coverage has always been great because they can go around the grounds and dont have to spend 5 minutes telling the plebs what is going on. Its why when 7 had their C7 cable stations - 3 x 24 hours in Sydney they were great because on some of them they just showed one sport un interrupted. Its why SBS in 2008 were great because they were given just the team sports by 7 and some of the minor sports but they showed them uninterupted from start to finish. The same with Fox Sports 8 channels in London.

It will be interesting to see how well 7 use 72 and 7mate plus their live streaming app/online service. i think they said every sport will be available and over 2,500 hours live.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back