Speculation Chad Warner (OOC 2025)

Remove this Banner Ad

If your Warner. Wins a flag this year.

Would you want to be getting $700k in 2025 or $1.5m front loaded year 1 of a big new contract elsewhere?

Now 100% Swans can hold him to his current contract. But he knows he is getting underpaid in 2025 under the current deal.

That really the sticking point ATM and why something may happen this year.
Swans can always renegotiate to accomadate him .. for 2025 if that was the issue.

Given the state of our list (all essentials bar Brayshaw signed to long term deals and the age of it) very comfortable offering the swans a three first round draft pick combination of the four we have for Warner and whatever money have on offer.

The guy has the swagger and the goal kicking we need.

If we can get him and Baker, I’d very very sure we have an extended period in the top four coming up, and we can use every other bit of pick capital on small and medium forwards for the very extended foreseeable future.

We have plenty of key backs, rucks are covered, midfield would be well and truly covered.

Given the state of our list (all essentials bar Brayshaw signed to long term deals and the age of it) very comfortable offering the swans a three first round draft pick combination of the four we have for Warner and whatever money have on offer.

The guy has the swagger and the goal kicking we need.

If we can get him and Baker, I’d very very sure we have an extended period in the top four coming up, and we can use every other bit of pick capital on small and medium forwards for the very extended foreseeable future.

We have plenty of key backs, rucks are covered, midfield would be well and truly covered.
the only problem is that you cant win at the G on the last day in September...

WA born player playing in Sydney = can only go back to WA. BigFooty101.

Love how we only discuss whether it's West Coast or Freo. There are other football in teams in other states that he might entertain. What's to stop him from going to Hawthorn who have cap space? St Kilda are in dire need of a mid. Geelong too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swans can always renegotiate to accomadate him .. for 2025 if that was the issue.
Or we could just hold him to his contract for another year and trade him in 2025.
He won't be a free agent, so we'll still get great value for him in a trade in 2025, and we have another crack at a flag with him this year and next.
If he wanted more money in 2025, then we would also want him to extend his contract at least until 2027, we're not just going to give him more money for a year if he's going to leave anyway.

There's no need to rush to trade him, he wouldn't hit free agency until 2027, and pre agency until 2026.
Worst case scenario for us in 2025 is that we have another crack at a flag, then get a top 5 pick and a later 1st, early 2nd in a trade.

Trading for him in 2024 will cost an absolute **** ton, as it should. If somebody wants to pay that kind of price, then I'm sure we'll be willing to listen to the offer, as any club would do.

Warner has always signed deals with Sydney in the year before he comes out of contract. It's not unusual for him.
I know it's exciting and afl click bait media has suckered everyone in but let's put our big boy pants on.

His last deal came in 2022 when he had his break out. He's only just over 12 months into that deal. He's now scorching the afl on a weekly basis. The salary cap goes up a huge chunk next year. What benefit is it to him to sign nearly 2 years early? If he signed at the start of the year, I dare say it would be for a whole let less than he is going to get now. People are getting carried away over nothing.

Although I did hear Sam walsh is on the move to Geelong. He's only signed until 2026 and doesn't appear to be in contract talks

I know it's exciting and afl click bait media has suckered everyone in but let's put our big boy pants on.

His last deal came in 2022 when he had his break out. He's only just over 12 months into that deal. He's now scorching the afl on a weekly basis. The salary cap goes up a huge chunk next year. What benefit is it to him to sign nearly 2 years early? If he signed at the start of the year, I dare say it would be for a whole let less than he is going to get now. People are getting carried away over nothing.

Although I did hear Sam walsh is on the move to Geelong. He's only signed until 2026 and doesn't appear to be in contract talks

The benefit to Chad to sign now is that Sydney would be offering him a few hundred grand a year more than he is looking at for 2025 currently.

Unless Sydney can't actually afford to do that, which makes it a bit of a trickier problem come end of 2025 because Sydney start that negotiation three hundred grand behind - and we all know Chad can be a bit of an emotional hot head who takes things personally.

If WA clubs are offering him three times what Sydney have him signed to for 2025 and onwards then he's going to have some "family reasons" show up.

I really do think it's just money.

The benefit to Chad to sign now is that Sydney would be offering him a few hundred grand a year more than he is looking at for 2025 currently.

Unless Sydney can't actually afford to do that, which makes it a bit of a trickier problem come end of 2025 because Sydney start that negotiation three hundred grand behind - and we all know Chad can be a bit of an emotional hot head who takes things personally.

If WA clubs are offering him three times what Sydney have him signed to for 2025 and onwards then he's going to have some "family reasons" show up.

I really do think it's just money.
The cap is going up 3 million dollars next year. The swans and every club for that matter have the money to give chad whatever he wants

The cap is going up 3 million dollars next year. The swans and every club for that matter have the money to give chad whatever he wants
Very few clubs have contracts without a clause increasing existing contract payments in line with salary cap increases. I can only think of Essendon as one.

People are aware the cap is going up nearly 3 million dollars next year arnt they ?
Every cap but Sydney's apparently.

Beatson is negotiating new contracts but he'll get to the end of the year and go "oh shoot, we don't have any money for Warner. We gave Hayward the $900,000 he wanted and gave Heeney an extra $2mil just because we had all this extra money!"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back