Champions of Carlton - Top 150 List

Remove this Banner Ad

Also must have been a ball tearing 84 games by Ern Henfry back in the forties.

Anything particular about his game stand out Thy?

How on earth did Kreuzer and Gibbs get on that list? Gibbs maybe.. but Kreuzer? Seriously I'd think as has been said Jamison.. I'd even throw Simon Wiggins ahead of them!

Glad to see Rice, Hickmott get on the list.... I'd even throw Clape or Pearce in over Kreuzer and Gibbs (notice these 2 are the only 95" premiership players not on the list - and yes they did play over 50 games for us). Clape's and Pearce's 95 seasons eclipsed anything so far that Gibbs and Kreuzer has done.

The criteria is all wrong. :thumbsdown:

50 games & 5 years!

I can understand the criteria - "Champions" suggests they were with us for a length of time and played a reasonable number of games, but that doesn't allow for the impact they had on the club, the role they played in winning flags and their place in club folklore.

The time Peter Bosustow was with us was all too short - just three seasons - but his significant role in two premiership years, the impact he had (not just at our club but on the competition as a whole) and his place in club folklore are undoubted.
Pearce didn't have quite the same impact, but the role he played in the club's most emphatic of premiership seasons, hurting the opposition who were focused mainly on containing Kernahan - thinking no Kernahan, no Carlton - was crucial.

One could also argue the case for Ted Hopkins. 29 games and only 10 goals over three seasons, and his fame is based on just one of those games - of which he played only half.
But what a game!! Still a record crowd (probably always will be), the old enemy set to give us a grand shellacking, and this guy comes on and kicks four second half goals in that most legendary grand final comeback of all time. His place in history is assured - he'll never be forgotten.

Certainly the criteria are too narrow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I assumed we weren't discussing it as the list is an embarrassment to the club.

Why is the list an embarrassment to the club?

The Carlton Football Club has an incredibly rich history and every effort should be made to celebrate that, especially in a milestone year as this is.

Now, you may disagree with the selection criteria or a number of the names on the list....but an embarrassment? Please.

The Carlton Football Club has an incredibly rich history and every effort should be made to celebrate that, especially in a milestone year as this is.

Now, you may disagree with the selection criteria or a number of the names on the list....but an embarrassment? Please.

I would say having the name Brett Thornton on any list that includes the word 'greatest' is slightly embarrassing.

I would say having the name Brett Thornton on any list that includes the word 'greatest' is slightly embarrassing.

I wouldn't. There are always going to be some contentious decisions along the way. That's not unexpected.

Thornton played close to 200 games for the Carlton Football Club after coming off the rookie list. That's a fine effort in anyone's language.

He almost single-handedly held our defense together during the worst period in the history of the club. Sure he didn't handle himself well at times throughout his career, but he was a fine footballer. Not a superstar by any means, but a very good servant of the club & he deserves to be recognized as such.

Thornton alongside Doull, Allan alongside Nicholls...that is incredibly emabarrassing for all concerned.

Our history is incredibly rich, which is why releasing a list this poorly thought out does that history a disservice.

How on earth did Kreuzer and Gibbs get on that list? Gibbs maybe.. but Kreuzer? Seriously I'd think as has been said Jamison.. I'd even throw Simon Wiggins ahead of them!

I'd even throw Clape or Pearce in over Kreuzer and Gibbs (notice these 2 are the only 95" premiership players not on the list - and yes they did play over 50 games for us). Clape's and Pearce's 95 seasons eclipsed anything so far that Gibbs and Kreuzer has done.
Not really. Gibbs and Kreuzer have influenced more games than Clape, Wiggins and Pearce. If being a premiership player is all that matters, then Whitehead is better than Gibbs.

Rate Yarran, Kreuzer, Gibbs and Henderson higher than Clape, Pearce, Wiggins and Whitehead. Wiggins was just a role player. Brad Fisher had more talent with his great hands. Didn't make the cut after playing 99 games and kicking over 100 goals.

Thornton alongside Doull, Allan alongside Nicholls...that is incredibly emabarrassing for all concerned.

Our history is incredibly rich, which is why releasing a list this poorly thought out does that history a disservice.
Allan was the best ruck in the game in 1999. AA player before he broke down with injury. Tapwork gave Carlton an armchair ride in the 1999 preliminary final. Played 10 games in 1995.

It's not embarrassing at all. As much as we'd like to think it, unfortunately not every player listed can be a superstar of the game. It is unreasonable to expect as much, and it is even more unreasonable to criticize the club for it.

Compiling a list of our 150 best players to celebrate our 150th season is not poorly thought out at all, in fact it is completely logical.

The one area that could have perhaps been better thought out is the selection criteria for inclusion on the list. Unfortunately, some seriously good footballers seem to have missed out because they've fallen short of meeting the criteria. However, the line has to be drawn somewhere, and that issue would remain an issue regardless of where that line is drawn.

Allan was the best ruck in the game in 1999. AA player before he broke down with injury. Tapwork gave Carlton an armchair ride in the 1999 preliminary final. Played 10 games in 1995.

Thanks for stating the blatantly obvious.

My problem is that surely to be on the champions list, you would first have to be a champion, no?

We've fleshed the list out to 150 to coincide with the 150th year, which is both childish and irresponsible.

It's not embarrassing at all. As much as we'd like to think it, unfortunately not every player listed can be a superstar of the game. It is unreasonable to expect as much, and it is even more unreasonable to criticize the club for it.

Compiling a list of our 150 best players to celebrate our 150th season is not poorly thought out at all, in fact it is completely logical.

The one area that could have perhaps been better thought out is the selection criteria for inclusion on the list. Unfortunately, some seriously good footballers seem to have missed out because they've fallen short of meeting the criteria. However, the line has to be drawn somewhere, and that issue would remain an issue regardless of where that line is drawn.

Why should the line be drawn anywhere? This list is about hanging around more than having an impact, which is why Bosustow misses out.

A strong case could be made for Hopkins in terms of impact also.

Why didn't Luke O'Sullivan make it then? He was supposedly a funny guy, hand him the highest honour imaginable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back