Preview Changes for Round 4 v Gold Coast @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Duggan the player to hate on for the week? Keep playing him.

Duggan back means Yeo play midfield which you might of seen - helps us win games. I'm definitely team Cole over Nelson but I wouldn't want Cole over Duggan as it would mess with our structure too much. No way could you play Hurn, Shep, Nelson and Cole as lock downs.

Loving Waterman staying in the team. Eventually just need Nelson/Masten out for Cole/Ainsworth and I'll be happy - no rush as neither of the previously mentioned have been too bad.

Nelson being trained as our hard defender, the ine who sits on a small and generally isnt very friendly. The Swans were into him and weren't happy with his defensive efforts.

Every team needs a semi tamed shut down man.

Perplexing decision in a lot of ways, was Hutchings any worse than Redden? perhaps I am bias.. and am seeing only what I want to see.

Duggan has been poor imo. Perhaps the week off was a bit of a kick up the backside.

Duggan has been overall average but therestbeen really positive signs amongst the bad. I wouldn't say hesh been playing stinkers but definitely needed a wake up call.

It was probably out of him or Cole for the hbf role to free up Yeo.

I just hope our forward line works and doesn't become too JK centric or have a lack of ground level support. The resting midfielder will need to create some havoc for us on the deck.

Duggan has been average in the first two games of the season and most of last year. I understand wanting to get games into him but there comes a time when he simply needs to be dropped. I would have liked him to comeback via the WAFL. Nelson is just an average footballer. He mades bad decisions on the field and fumbles a lot below his knees. I don't see him making it.
Hutchings didn't deserve to be dropped and I would rather him in the side than Masten. As least Hutchings can actually hold and break a tackle. Masten gutlessly goes into situations one-handed so he can pull out if someone is coming near him.

If Duggan comes out with another poor game, despite having a week off, i think he needs to be made accountable.

It's one thing carrying 'the youth' like Venables or Waterman through a couple poor games when they are only just being exposed to AFL football, but it's another playing a 4th year player who simply isn't cutting the mustard week in week out.

Sets a negative example on anyone who's in the WAFL.

I didnt watch the Bulldogs game but what was so bad about Duggan? Statistically he looked like he went ok assuming he had a mix of defence with some midfield.

Is Duggan the player to hate on for the week? Keep playing him.

Duggan back means Yeo play midfield which you might of seen - helps us win games. I'm definitely team Cole over Nelson but I wouldn't want Cole over Duggan as it would mess with our structure too much. No way could you play Hurn, Shep, Nelson and Cole as lock downs.

Loving Waterman staying in the team. Eventually just need Nelson/Masten out for Cole/Ainsworth and I'll be happy - no rush as neither of the previously mentioned have been too bad.
Not sure if everybody is aware that WCE Coaching Staff's approach to the midfield woes of yesteryear are sharing the load and running up to 15 players through the center at different time during a game.
Part of the strategy and this was alluded to my Sam Mitchell in the preseason was that some players who we now know to be Redden and Yeo etc are held back and injected into the frame in the second half of games.
It is obvious that the strategy is working with the team finishing off games with fuel in the tank.

Duggan has been overall average but therestbeen really positive signs amongst the bad. I wouldn't say hesh been playing stinkers but definitely needed a wake up call.

It was probably out of him or Cole for the hbf role to free up Yeo.

I just hope our forward line works and doesn't become too JK centric or have a lack of ground level support. The resting midfielder will need to create some havoc for us on the deck.
Can see Willie having a field day off jks crumbs

Duggan has been average in the first two games of the season and most of last year. I understand wanting to get games into him but there comes a time when he simply needs to be dropped. I would have liked him to comeback via the WAFL. Nelson is just an average footballer. He mades bad decisions on the field and fumbles a lot below his knees. I don't see him making it.
Hutchings didn't deserve to be dropped and I would rather him in the side than Masten. As least Hutchings can actually hold and break a tackle. Masten gutlessly goes into situations one-handed so he can pull out if someone is coming near him.
These are harsh words about players without even knowing what roles they are required to play by the coaching staff.
The like for like exchanges you suggested may be way off the mark,not matching the weaknesses and strengths of the specific players.
It's not park footy, in a AFL environment every player has a job to do and only the Coaching Staff know if they are achieving these benchmarks.

It's a funny one. With Yeo back in the first half last week, we dominated the cats. But then it all turned to s**t in the 3rd quarter and it ended up that throwing him into the middle was a match winning move.

I guess that 3rd quarter was probably a mixture of the cats quality mids going up a gear, our first half game plan getting found out a bit and us dropping off as we tend to do.

Yeo obviously played back because we had replaced Duggan with Hutch. I guess the reversal of that change means that Simmo et al prefer the structure we had in the first 2 weeks. But God we looked good in the first half last week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing ive noticed with Masten;he doesnt go on his left very often.I would have thought with Mitchell it would have been a focus.He marked last week on the flank and as he walked backward on the mark he kept cribbing to his right.Play is called on and he has edged toward the boundary forcing a short kick to the only option available.If he had swung immediately infield on his left he opens up the middle of the ground with a plethora of options.If you have shortcomings [ i.e. his physicallity ] why not make up for it by using your left side which makes you more unpredictable and he is ok on the left.

Perplexing decision in a lot of ways, was Hutchings any worse than Redden? perhaps I am bias.. and am seeing only what I want to see.

Duggan has been poor imo. Perhaps the week off was a bit of a kick up the backside.

I think Hutch is very unlucky and I don’t understand why he seems to be outside the preferred 22. He always performs and I think he should keep his spot until someone takes it off him through consistently good performances.

Hutch should only ever be in the team out of necessity.

LoL I was legit stunned when I saw him running around against Carlton in round 2. Thought he got delisted/retired a few years back.

He's better than Masten any day of the week. He can do more than run around and get pushed off the ball like a flyweight, and go "woo" in the team song so he's ahead of masto already.

Duggan's tank is huge and coaches clearly value how he fits within our structures. 'Playing an important role' according to Simmo, and someone else here alluded to how Yeo went missing filling in for him playing defence last week. Don't think this role is about racking up possessions, whatever it is. And as many alluded to, we need to keep developing him, as his best has been shown to be great.

His skills have been right down, but who else have we got? There's Cole, Schoey and Franky below him, so it's up to them to dislodge him with some good form. You might included Mutimer if he's being trialed as hbf, but it's not looking promising for his AFL career at this point. Watson still needs to work on his disposal and probably his tank too. Schofield is a known quantity but more importantly makes us too tall (if we aren't already). Cole is his real challenger and hope he puts some good form together to put pressure on the Dug.

I was at a recent meeting where a recently retired WCE player talked about what the club looks for when drafting players. Long story short, one of the players they used as an example was Duggan, and his main strength as told by the representative of WCE was his kicking. Basically, they think he's a good ball user.

He's better than Masten any day of the week. He can do more than run around and get pushed off the ball like a flyweight, and go "woo" in the team song so he's ahead of masto already.

They're both one dimensional, I guess it's just which dimension the MC wants.

They're both one dimensional, I guess it's just which dimension the MC wants.

Come on Bender, you cant say a guy that can play HFF, Wing, Centre and be a tagger is one dimensional. You can bag him for not being flashy all you like, but Hutchings can play more roles for us and do a good job than Masten can. Masten can play wing and barely, thats it.

Come on Bender, you cant say a guy that can play HFF, Wing, Centre and be a tagger is one dimensional. You can bag him for not being flashy all you like, but Hutchings can play more roles for us and do a good job than Masten can. Masten can play wing and barely, thats it.

I'm comfortable with my assessment.

It's a funny one. With Yeo back in the first half last week, we dominated the cats. But then it all turned to s**t in the 3rd quarter and it ended up that throwing him into the middle was a match winning move.

I guess that 3rd quarter was probably a mixture of the cats quality mids going up a gear, our first half game plan getting found out a bit and us dropping off as we tend to do.

Yeo obviously played back because we had replaced Duggan with Hutch. I guess the reversal of that change means that Simmo et al prefer the structure we had in the first 2 weeks. But God we looked good in the first half last week.

the cats changed a couple of things, after Scott fired a rocket -tightened up and lifted their work rate, freed up Ablett..rattled us and upset our structures - a few quick goals and we were scrambling to plug the leaks. regrouped at the break. don't think we dropped off as in lack of effort, we over ran the cats in the end. they were cramping up everywhere -hard game previous week, a short week and a long flight. Ablett had hammy twinges last game, shouldn't have flown!

Simmo said he was forced to use Yeo that way with Duggan out, but could've swung Yeo a bit earlier into the mid. Also said Duggan plays a very important role for them...I doubt very much the coach plays favourites, in a high powered, high financed, high pressured business, everyone's accountable..you might be a favourite only if you're producing the goods on a regular and reliable basis?
Curious to see how the tall forward structure pans out, and how 'on' JK is? Great to have him back.
Will wee Willy snag a couple, dodging and weaving between the tall timber?
First night game in The House of The Flashing Lights..

Last edited:
In interviews the players & coaches have described the current team as young but the reality is that tomorrow we will be the most experienced side on the park 4 games in a row. I really hope that the club isn't under the impression this is an exceptional year, and that the injection of quality youth we've had is somehow out of the ordinary. It isn't. We have just reached par as far as the competition is concerned, especially looking at quality clubs like Geelong & Sydney.

Your views on Masten are well known, given you repeat them in pretty much every post. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back