Preview Changes for Round 4 v Gold Coast @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

The hypocrisy of the duggan selection distaste is not lost

We want to play kids, but not willing to accept volatility in their performaces.

Duggan is 21 and Hutch is 26 (almost 27) and Masten is 28 (almost 29)

The latter two have reached their peak age of performance and are at best middling.

Duggan may turn out the same or he may improve. But we won't know without consistency of games and position. There has certainly been signs of toughness/commitment to suggest we give the lad a go at locking down a spot. And with him going back, it means the likes of Yeo can play mid which is what we want.

I like the fact we are transitioning players, in fact I'd like to transition a few more - with Ryan going out it is a perfect time to invest games in some more players.

I am happy to take the volatility of performance that comes with that, especially when the endeavour is consistent.

Duggan has been average in the first two games of the season and most of last year. I understand wanting to get games into him but there comes a time when he simply needs to be dropped. I would have liked him to comeback via the WAFL. Nelson is just an average footballer. He mades bad decisions on the field and fumbles a lot below his knees. I don't see him making it.
Hutchings didn't deserve to be dropped and I would rather him in the side than Masten. As least Hutchings can actually hold and break a tackle. Masten gutlessly goes into situations one-handed so he can pull out if someone is coming near him.
Agreed

As are yours on Masten, was there any need for you to post. ;)
I'm actually not a fanboi of his - just think a lot of the comments on here are OTT. Similar LeCras last year.

Perplexing decision in a lot of ways, was Hutchings any worse than Redden? perhaps I am bias.. and am seeing only what I want to see.

Duggan has been poor imo. Perhaps the week off was a bit of a kick up the backside.
Redden had a pretty good game last week .
19 touches 5 clearances 4 tackles 400m gained and a goal against one of the best midfield units in the league .

Hutchy also did a great job on selwood last week

Must be a team structure thing .

Duggan plays back and yeo moves into a mid role .

Hutchy unfortunate

I like hutch but I hope that with a couple of great games Ah Chee can leapfrog both masten and hutchings for that last mid spot.

Ah Chee for Masten is probably our only change from best 22 until ryan is back. Nelson and cole interchangeable

Based on one good season in the SANFL?

He had a very stop-start time at Port given he was in and out of the team and played all over the place.

He has enough good traits that its worth giving him an extended run as an inside mid once he is fit to see what he can deliver

He's been down on form for a while, making some pretty fundamental mistakes so people are on his case.
A while?? 2nd half of last season after being moved back he was exceptional . He had 2 ordinary finals and he fluffed a few kicks in his first 2 games this year. He is playing as a defender, did he get owned by the bulldogs and Sydney forwards????? Only buddy was any good for Sydney, Bulldogs forwards did naff all.
He has been playing his role, like everyone else he makes mistakes, hopefully he can clean that up but he is 100% best 22 if he is fit. I would prefer Cole over Nelson because nelson doesn't give us any run from the back, purely lockdown at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He had a very stop-start time at Port given he was in and out of the team and played all over the place.

He has enough good traits that its worth giving him an extended run as an inside mid once he is fit to see what he can deliver
He should be given a crack but I dunno if he’s an automatic replacement of Masten, even if Masten is a bit of a hack. Still has to earn it

I didn't think Masten did too poorly last week at all. Decent delivery for the most part. Played his role.

Agree Ah Chee probably offers us a bit more through the middle, but Masto is copping a pasting around these parts and not all of it is fair. Held his spot for mine.

Hutch, on the other hand, was very unlucky this week imho.

I didn't think Masten did too poorly last week at all. Decent delivery for the most part. Played his role.

Agree Ah Chee probably offers us a bit more through the middle, but Masto is copping a pasting around these parts and not all of it is fair. Held his spot for mine.

Hutch, on the other hand, was very unlucky this week imho.

Agreed, for what its worth im happy with masten in the team. Given we have a lot of inside mids playing and jetta is back, you can see why they want to play masten as a second winger rather than another inside mid in hutch. Masten hasnt done anything drastic to be dropped.

I just feel like Ah Chee has more upside. Ideal scenario is we are unchanged the next couple of weeks, ah chee builds some good form and comes in round 7-8

Duggan is absolute Jet, I dont get the hate at all..
Liam Duggan ? surely not. This kid makes very poor decisions and thinks he is Cyril trying to dodge tackles but only he gets caught every time. No good and should be sent packing.

Duggan is 21 and Hutch is 26 (almost 27) and Masten is 28 (almost 29)

The conversation should be Duggan Vs Cole/Watson/Partington etc rather than Hutchings or Masten.

Duggan may turn out the same or he may improve. But we won't know without consistency of games and position. There has certainly been signs of toughness/commitment to suggest we give the lad a go at locking down a spot.

I think he's been given a fair crack. He's played 48 games now and has probably been down back for at least a year now. He's not a write off by any means, but we can't say he hasn't been given every opportunity to develop. Time to make him earn it more than he has in the past, I reckon.

That being said, I have a ridiculous strike rate for talking down players on the verge of a breakout performance. So inb4 L. Duggan 3 votes.

Woah! A lot of guys down on my boy Nuggetty-Duggan in here.

He's a kid - he is going to have up and down games, even *gasp* several up or down games in a row! What Simmo has done is exactly the right response: sent him back to the WAFL then basically said "you've got one more chance. Pull your weight or piss off back to East Perth".

Lets just wait and see how Liam responds to the "discipline" that's been doled out, then riot for change if he continues to play with Freo-like mediocrity after a few more games.

Geez Louise - some people need a Bex.

People forget how up and down Shep was after his first promising first year in 2010. In 2011, 12,13 and even 14 he was thrown all around the field and was in an out of the side so much he looked like bog standard. 2015 he was given a role down back and has been a massive cog in our backline and just keeps getting better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back