Preview Changes: Preliminary Final - IN: Sloane, Otten, Melts OUT: Smith, McGovern

Assuming McGovern misses through injury, who should come in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone is talking about speed but they showed a stat after one of his first few games, Keath was actually the player to hit the highest speed of that game.
Clearly I'm a fan (never met the guy btw just believe he has huge ability) but I honestly believe he's the only option that goes close to replacing McGovern as a 'like for like' in the structure if that's the way we want to play it.

Also offers insurance within the 22 if a tall or medium defender goes down during the match, and given Geelong have a few talls and Hartigan may be taken up on Dangerfield at times, it's a pretty good insurance policy.

Fast, tall, versatile, skilful (he would likely be our most accurate shot for goal), aerial ability, hits the contest hard, has played recently (yes not forward), BOG in trial game v GWS...unless we want the extra small who can play mid (which is an equally valid option) then Keath is a great option.

It won't be Otten, even when Roo asked Tex this morning, he brought up about us bringing in speed.

He was also critical during our bad patch that we were too slow upforward.
hope that's true and we're not trying to play games with Scott.

Going to be a tough call!

People have been making genuinely good cases for all four of Milera, Menzel, Otten and Hampton. And even Keath.

Very tough to bring only one of these guys in. Probably need to drop Mackay really.
The beauty of those five is there is real variety amongst them. Selectors will obviously have in their mind the type of player they want and fortunately with that bunch you can get most of what type you're after.

Seedsman hopefully gets down there for a fair percentage of them

Brown is by the numbers competent. Not a weapon whatsoever but plays it safe, safe, safe.
I liked for the first part, not the bolded part.

afl.com.au had a kick outs article with a lot of stats a while back (I'll try to find it) and a worryingly high percentage of Brown's kick outs led to repeat entries for the opposition.

The beauty of those five is there is real variety amongst them. Selectors will obviously have in their mind the type of player they want and fortunately with that bunch you can get most of what type you're after.
So what aspect of McGovern do we prioritise?

- Ability to kick a small bag of goals, or at the very least provide a genuine scoring threat
- Aerial ability to create a mismatch and get a contested mark inside 50
- Speed and ground level ability to chase, tackle, block exits, take up strategic space

Or do we prioritise/counter with other roles that Gov doesn't yet perform such as versatility to play midfield minutes or replace a defender?

I'm thinking it'll be Otten since it'll give us another option to throw back if we get desperate.
Yuck.

He's a top bloke but that will play into Geelong's hand terribly.

At least Milera, Hampton, Menzel and Keath are fast!

Of those, I doubt Milera would chase very hard, Hampton may struggle to run out the match (if the club think otherwise I wouldn't mind him getting picked), Menzel...well who the hell knows what he would bring, so unpredictable, Keath...close to the fastest of the lot and obviously can play defence as well.

I liked for the first part, not the bolded part.

afl.com.au had a kick outs article with a lot of stats a while back (I'll try to find it) and a worryingly high percentage of Brown's kick outs led to repeat entries for the opposition.
It's not from howlers though.

He boringly kicks long to a contest that we sometimes win, sometimes lose and sometimes square.

He doesn't try to bite off more than he can chew is what I meant by safe. Not so much that he's rock solid reliable.

I am not sure about Milera in such a big game.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Me either but some blokes rise to the occasion and he's done it at lower levels in huge games.

He's definitely the type of player I can imagine bobbing up for 3 goals on the night and I reckon he's a better half forward than wingman from what I've seen this year.

Wouldn't be my choice but I wont be upset if he gets the nod.

I'm thinking it'll be Otten since it'll give us another option to throw back if we get desperate.
I agree with this.

We love Mackay because he can slide down back if there are injuries during a game.

We love Otten because he can go forward, back or even pinch hit in ruck if there are injuries during a game.

Otten would be a comfort blanket selection. No doubt he has proven valuable at times but I don't think he'd create a headache for Geelong. Menzel might but I can't see us doing that.

It won't be Otten, even when Roo asked Tex this morning, he brought up about us bringing in speed.

He was also critical during our bad patch that we were too slow upforward.
I thought it was telling that we didn't recall him against the Eagles and went small. Only thing is, it didn't really work

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know there a lot of love for Otten but has anybody realise he came back from injury play 1 SANFL game
Basically, he has gone 7 weeks with only 1 SANFL,1 Trail and 1 practise game and in those 3 games, he has below parr.
So I don't think he will be playing this week. Form and match Fitness may be telling. Form being the key.
Yes you can say the same about Hampton but he has played 2 SANFL games 1 Trial and 1 Practice and has played good football in those games.
Out of all the back up's, Menzel has been the best-performed player. And has a good defensive pressure type game. and it a Like for Like.
The other changes will require a shift of players.

Milera or Hampton in for McGovern.

Still not sure what you could get with Milera. He could be a rabbit in spotlights as he's been on a few occasions or he could finally have that break out game that you feel he'll have at some stage and then never look back. He does make space well and could bob up with a couple of marks inside 50 through his footy smarts.

Hampton is a risk having been injured, but if at his best, he offers another strong bodied midfield option or even an option across half back in a similar role to Smith. He could provide some chop out for Douglas, Greenwood, Sloane etc to play some more time away from the midfield.

I'd back in Milera and train Hampton for Smith's position in 2018.

I am not sure about Milera in such a big game.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Same with Menzel for me.

I'd go with Milera due to his footskills through half forward. Very creative and clean. If he can get his hands on it if would be nice to have a player who doesn't just bomb it forward. Going to have to expose him if we see him as a long term player. Back him in. He did perform in the SANFL finals prior to getting drafted.

The thing with Milera is you get next to no defensive pressure from him more often than not. Time and again Geelong have owned us due to not putting any pressure on their defenders and allowing them easy ball.

He's the best with ball in hand though

Back