Preview Changes: R8 vs Port Adelaide, 2024 - Curtin Call?

Will Curtin come in this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

And we haven’t heard any mention of the prison bars gurnsey or was it agreed it only happens for their home game?

I thought it was every showdown.

Its not even the actual design. Its a concept based on the actual design converted to AFL.

Several noticeable differences which make it look every bit the cheap knockoff for a buck its designed to be.

Likely changes:

Butts for Borlase (unlucky).

Curtin for Pedlar (inj).

Smith for Hamill (unlucky).

Berry into the 23 as sub. Ned omitted.

Finally showing a bit of depth.
Dont forget murphy. He's an integral cog in the nicks gameplan.

Great news.

What shocking selection decision will this hide? Murphy in after a terrible tune-up game is my guess

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Did you watch the entire match? On device or live?

Imho Murphy looked a bit flat but he was not terrible. For a small forward in a team that was well beaten, he had 14 kicks, 3 handballs , 7 marks and 2 tackles. He wasn’t damaging but nor were all but one of his team mates.

Surly Rozee will be late out, Port playing mind games, Has a scan on the Saturday showing minor hamstring strain but fit to play 6 days later? I smell desperation from port and imagine if he does it proper and misses 3-6 what's more important the showdown or your season. To be fair doesn't surprise me with ports track record with their medico's
He passed the first hurdle, making it to his inaugural "captains photo opp" with Dawson. Thus personifying the never say die/win at all cost creed stitched deep into the fabric of that world famous "Number #1" guernsey. His next feat, possibly the toss of the coin, the shake of a hand then finally a crisp hi-five to his oncoming vice captain as he then hobbles down the race. Not to be seen for the proceeding three weeks.
I know I fully might be, but can someone please, tell him he's dreamin!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you watch the entire match? On device or live?

Imho Murphy looked a bit flat but he was not terrible. For a small forward in a team that was well beaten, he had 14 kicks, 3 handballs , 7 marks and 2 tackles. He wasn’t damaging but nor were all but one of his team mates.
Yeah I did, I went.

Do you think he was playing as a small forward or someone who was roaming around the ground including into defence? I particularly thought the play where he racked up 3 quick kicks in defence which boosted his numbers very impressive.

If you think he was playing as a small forward that’s concerning as he didn’t hit the scoreboard, not even for a point. Only registering 2 tackles for the game surely meant he wasn’t applying a lot of forward 50 pressure.

Facts are his game doesn’t warrant a call up, he was average and not near our better players. When you consider his experience you thought the would have been better. Then consider how average his form was in the seniors prior to his injury and the only justification for a recall would be Nicks and his love of experienced mediocre role players.

Do you think he was playing as a small forward or someone who was roaming around the ground including into defence? I particularly thought the play where he racked up 3 quick kicks in defence which boosted his numbers very impressive.
BRAN NUE MURPHAY confirmed.

Out - Pedlar injured

Possible Outs
1) Borlase; has been OK but Butts is a but better.
2) Hamill; has been OK but there are better options
3) McHenry; is he part of the future?
4) Sholl; played well against the blue and white cones - retain (this week)
5) Himmelberg; performed better than Gollant and Burgess in the Thilthorpe role - retain (this week)
6) Jones; has been struggling but we lack depth in outside mids and small defenders

In - Curtin; but where does he play? Ideally he plays as the third tall but Worrell is playing superbly in that position. We could play him as a midfielder because he did play 2 games in the midfield in the under 18 championship. What about as an outside mid or a forward, nothing like learning on the job. I suspect he will be in our back six.

Possible Ins
1) Smith; he could replace Hamill or Nankervis (who would move back to the wing). His form hasn’t been great this year so it’s a toss of the coin.
2) Dowling; Billy played on Sam Mayes against the Roosters and had his colours lowered (9 disposals in the first 3 quarters but finished strongly). Unfortunately Billy isn’t a great outside mid (he only started to look good when he moved to the inside mid position in the Twos) or as a forward. He is a replacement for Crouch or Laird so I don’t like his chances.
3) Butts; line ball
4) Schoenberg; Has made a strong return, burning the ball a bit but he’s a chance.
5) Berry; If he’s 100% fit, he is a chance.
6) Taylor; Could play the M&M role or could be a lively sub.
7) Murphy; Imho he is better than McHenry but not my preferred option.
8) Ryan; He is a long shot but I really like the Kid
9) Gollant, Burgess and Strachan; not this week
10) Edwards, Bond, Gallagher; not ready

Out - Pedlar, Hamill, McHenry

In - Curtin, Smith, Berry

Last edited:
Yeah I did, I went.

If you think he was playing as a small forward that’s concerning as he didn’t hit the scoreboard, not even for a point. Only registering 2 tackles for the game surely meant he wasn’t applying a lot of forward 50 pressure.

Facts are his game doesn’t warrant a call up, he was average and not near our better players. When you consider his experience you thought the would have been better. Then consider how average his form was in the seniors prior to his injury and the only justification for a recall would be Nicks and his love of experienced mediocre role players.
Are you also Birdman 24, who I replied to, or are you just stalking me as usual? He was playing as a high half forward. Did you notice where he was standing at every centre clearance (hint; not in the midfield and not in defence). I said he didn’t play a great game but he was hardly terrible compared to every other game played by a high half forward in our Twos.

Brayden Cook was promoted after one game against the hopeless Panthers.He had 16 disposals, 1 tackle and no scoring shots (one OOF from memory) but I guess that doesn’t fit your agenda.

Are you also Birdman 24, who I replied to, or are you just stalking me as usual? He was playing as a high half forward. Did you notice where he was standing at every centre clearance (hint; not in the midfield and not in defence). I said he didn’t play a great game but he was hardly terrible compared to every other game played by a high half forward in our Twos.

Brayden Cook was promoted after one game against the hopeless Panthers.He had 16 disposals, 1 tackle and no scoring shots (one OOF from memory) but I guess that doesn’t fit your agenda.
Crikey, so Big Footy bi-laws are you only respond to posts directed to you? Right, well perhaps if you didn’t carry on in your typical FIGJAM manner and try and mock posters for not watching as much as you, I wouldn’t have bothered to give you my impression of his game given I went.

Yeah it’s a 6-6-6 rule, you need to start in a position. Do you think that’s where he stayed? Or did he roam up and down the ground like he does in the AFL?

As for your Cook comparison, ones a kid who we need to give some games to in the AFL to see if he can develop into a player or we should cut him. As for Murphy, he is in our leadership group and should be held to higher standards. We’ve seen what he produces at AFL and it ain’t much. His form was poor before his injury and based on that and his average game on the weekend, he should not be a walk up start or do you disagree and you’d play him?

Courage has nothing to do with it. Its nothing short of the equivalent of a politician trying to con the public for votes.

My theory, there was an intense behind the scenes meeting between Nicks and those who hold him accountable. Within 5 days of Nicks flat out saying he has no plans to play Curtin any time soon magically Nicks had a massive change of heart. Nah, even though Nicks makes the final decisions on who he plays, there is no doubt in my mind this was a very strong can't ignore recommendation from above.

The only news about this announcement is an article with Dawsons reaction, nothing from Nicks. Tells you everything you need to know when mr PR isn't included in any announcement.

I for one can't be happier, can't wait.

Rubbish

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So you agree that he lined up in the forwards at every centre bounce. However you did venture up to the wing and beyond on occasions.

Do you understand the role of the high half forward in modern footy? If he doesn’t park himself on the half forward flank like Diamond Jim Tilbrook then he surely isn’t a “true” forward?

Weren’t we going to be Owen 10 and not debut a Kid all season?

PS Your constant reference to FIGJAM screams Boomer every time you use it, which is frequently. Please continue this, it amuses me.

Yeah I did, I went.

I guess the unfortunate thing with Murphy is Nicks sees him currently as a best 22 player which is a massive failure of Nicks as a coach, even though several happy clappers clearly disagree. One Curtin debut and everything is back to being awesome and how dare anyone say thing bad about Nicks. But anyway I digress.

So back to Murphy, the Sanfl was merely a run around to catch some match fitness and he was always going to be called back up.

Pretty sure it is only their home games.
Initially it was only for their home Showdown. When the AFL and Adelaide agreed in principle to this then Kochie and his media mates said it should be for all Showdowns and possibly all games except those against Collingwood.

No wonder they are good at downhill skiing, they love the slippery slope.

Back