Prediction Changes Round 8 Dogs V Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

IN: Libba, Clarke, Marra
OUT: Daniel (omitted), West (suspended), Weightman (inj), Lobb (omitted)

Gallagher or Bramble (sub)

Want Bramble dropped for Freijah as well but unlikely.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The inconsistency is maddening, particularly the Charlie Cameron ruling. The Hogan one almost seemed like there was a flaw in the wording of the guidelines or the interpretation of it by the tribunal. However, I don't think the expectation should be that you just challenge anything on the hope the tribunal has an off moment - particularly when there is a cost to the soft cap. I understand the calls to challenge it but see almost no way that West could get off based on what I mentioned above, as much as it seemed relatively innocuous.

I disagree. The bump is not outlawed but the high bump certainly is and players now know that the penalty for doing it, accidental or not, is games missed. That's fine with me. Accidents will occur and concussions will still happen in contests without anyone getting in trouble (see Ed Richards in Ballarat), but players are on notice that if they are responsible and had a reasonable alternative, they'll pay the price. West is lucky Walker passed the HIA or else he'd be looking at 2 or more additional weeks on top.

In light of recent news re Angus Brayshaw, Nigel Kellett, Liam Picken, Shane Tuck, Nathan Murphy etc you can't possibly be surprised that the AFL is going down this route.
No not surprised but perhaps they haven't gone far enough. The high bump can also be accidental depending on the movement/motion of the player being bumped.

If they're to preserve the game I think a case could be made for the mandating of helmets.

No not surprised but perhaps they haven't gone far enough. The high bump can also be accidental depending on the movement/motion of the player being bumped.

If they're to preserve the game I think a case could be made for the mandating of helmets.
You mention NFL but I think you'll find their concussion issues worse than the AFL's. Helmets aren't the answer.

You mention NFL but I think you'll find their concussion issues worse than the AFL's. Helmets aren't the answer.
They lead with their heads on many occasions and fly at targets like low flying missiles so I'm not convinced it's like for like.

If the AFL ever mandates hard-shell helmets like the NFL it's off to the A-League for me.

Not only would the bump be dead but so would the game.

If the AFL ever mandates hard-shell helmets like the NFL it's off to the A-League for me.

Not only would the bump be dead but so would the game.
Do Canberra have a team?🤣

But I'm curious. In what way would the mandating of helmets kill the game in a way that the bump in its current state isn't already.

Have a helmet....bump like you used to. No helmets....whatever this is.

I'd suggest that we need to invest in the technology of helmets. Space age technology and innovation. A hard shell might not be the template. There's a gell technology used in bulletproof vests🤔

Don't need the grill like NFL so the aesthetics would be different. Then mandate it and on we go...back to the future.

Last edited:
Didn’t watch the game but I’m wondering if they will try to keep the same forward structure with Flea and West out. Does Bedendo get a chance to replace Flea or will they go with Arty? (Neither probably have the form to deserve a spot) Surely Chook is one of the ins though.

Khamis was atrocious on Saturday. Probably the worst game I’ve seen from a bulldog player for years. He’s incredibly lucky we have nobody to come in for him. Hopefully it’s a one off as he’s been decent this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Khamis was atrocious on Saturday. Probably the worst game I’ve seen from a bulldog player for years. He’s incredibly lucky we have nobody to come in for him. Hopefully it’s a one off as he’s been decent this year.

It's a very strong field. Reckon I've seen worse.

I see a lot in Gallagher too. He has great skills, very good around goal with good pace. He's also struggling massively right now as well and doesn't warrant a spot in the starting 23. There is no selection integrity if he holds his spot and some other performances in the VFL aren't given a chance.
Agree plus there is development value in going back to the VFL, racking up 30+ possessions a few weeks in a row and realising he’s too good for that level (and therefore belongs in the senior team)

Do Canberra have a team?🤣

But I'm curious. In what way would the mandating of helmets kill the game in a way that the bump in its current state isn't already.

Have a helmet....bump like you used to. No helmets....whatever this is.

I'd suggest that we need to invest in the technology of helmets. Space age technology and innovation. A hard shell might not be the template. There's a gell technology used in bulletproof vests🤔

Don't need the grill like NFL so the aesthetics would be different. Then mandate it and on we go...back to the future.
Well for a start I don’t subscribe to the view that the bump is dead. Just that it can't be used in a way that creates a real risk of head injury. And is the bump such an integral part of the game anyway? The shirtfront used to be legal. It's still not outlawed by name but any bump, shepherd or tackle that puts an exposed player at risk of serious injury (usually because he's focussed on the ball and not braced for impact) is not in the spirit or best interests of the game anyway. Especially head injury which has such life-altering consequences. Old timers might have loved the way that Kozzie Pickett cleaned up Bailey Smith but IMO both players are lucky that Smith didn't end up in hospital. I'm happy to see that type of play stamped out.

How would helmets kill the game?
I suspect you're not being serious, but if you are, do you really need me to answer that?

There are so many ways it would alter the game completely. It's nothing to do with bumping with or without helmets on. It's that they would all have to wear the things and everything they do would be affected. Perhaps even their peripheral vision, their centre of gravity and their balance, which would alter the entire dynamic of a match, the fast plays, the ball movement, the finger tip control. What chance we'd ever see Jamie Elliott soar into the air for the sort of speccy he took on ANZAC Day? I surely don't need to go on.

It would be just too much of a price to pay just to allow players to continue to bump. The game would be unrecognisable. And the players would be unrecognisable too! ;)

So A-League would be more attractive to watch. At least until such time as concern about CTE from headers causes the soccer authorities to mandate helmets.

On reflection we might be better introducing a hybrid form of AFL with limited ability to bump or tackle. Maybe we could call it ... ummm ... Gaelic Football?

And one last point: there's an ongoing debate about how effective helmets are at preventing concussions and CTE anyway. Soft shells probably don't do much to help. And hard-shell helmeted NFL players are still getting life-changing, life-shortening CTE.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back