Unofficial Preview Changes v Brisbane (out: Moore, Brown, Daicos; in: JDG, Aish, Ox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Fair enough you might not rate him.

However, whilst he is on the list his complete non selection this season considering our injuries has been farcical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wouldnt say farcical, he was a but unlucky being made to earn his spot for so long early in the year and then he got injured when he got his chance. Played well two weeks ago in the VFL but that was after a long layoff....and he didnt back it up last start.

Been unlucky but I totally understand why he's missed out.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I reckon Pendles and Steele are the key. We need to get plenty of service to our forwards. If they get clean forward 50 entries we could be badly exposed.

The Bears are as equally good as us in clearances and contested footy so any slight advantage we can gain in those areas will be important. They'll kill us in the air if we can't control the movement of the footy.

Brad Goodman

His name isn't important
Oct 7, 2002
AFL Club
Collingwood
Oxley is a throwback to the times when we had the likes of Godden, Wasley and Orchard running around. Good luck to him, and I hope he does well, but if we folded and there was a draft to distribute our list he would be one of the very last picked.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
He had a better game against the Bombers three weeks ago...….I will say it again....he is more than ready to play "one" game against the Lions.

I disagree. Sunday he was getting around the ground much better and his marking was much better, clunked a couple of strong contested marks.

I don't disagree that he's ready and I'd be happy to see him given a game. But that doesn't mean the selectors have got this one wrong.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I disagree. Sunday he was getting around the ground much better and his marking was much better, clunked a couple of strong contested marks.

I don't disagree that he's ready and I'd be happy to see him given a game. But that doesn't mean the selectors have got this one wrong.

I guess we will find out Saturday night.

I think we're one tall short under the roof......but what would I know? ;)

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm a little in shocked that Mayne is still in the side. I've just compared Maynes' statistical out put to Daicos', against the same opposition and time period this year.

There's not much in it, statically even. Mayne averages 1.9 (Disposals), 1.4 (1%), 1.5 (Rebound fifties), .4 (contested possessions) more and .9 (clangers) less per game. Daicos impacts the scoreboard 5 goals and 4 goal assists to Maynes' 2 goal assists. This is exactly the reason why I had/have an issue with Mayne being drafted by the club, he is getting in they way of young player development.

Mayne is a 189 game player that contributes just as much as Josh Daicos a 12 game player. Personally, I expect more!

View attachment 540807

I doubt many would disagree with you but at the same time you need to maintain some team balance. Play too many kids and you become Carlton. The team named for Saturday night already has 8 players at <50 games and 14<100 games. It's not coincidence that the teams struggling down the ladder are the teams that are in a similar or worse position.

I'm a little shocked that Mayne is still in the side. I've just compared Maynes' statistical out put to Daicos', against the same opposition and time period this year.

There's not much in it, statically even. Mayne averages 1.9 (Disposals), 1.4 (1%), 1.5 (Rebound fifties), .4 (contested possessions) more and .9 (clangers) less per game. Daicos impacts the scoreboard 5 goals and 4 goal assists to Maynes' 2 goal assists. This is exactly the reason why I had/have an issue with Mayne being drafted by the club, he is getting in they way of young player development.

Mayne is a 189 game player that contributes just as much as Josh Daicos a 12 game player. Personally, I expect more!

View attachment 540807
You won't get an arguement from me on this, have been saying it for sometime.

Mayne also has more clangers which I presume doesn't include putting another player in trouble. He is not the future, Daicos much better option.

He is the new Kinnear for me.

Aug 31, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’ll tell you what’s funny, when I hear that “all teams have injuries”.

We are missing Dunn, Schaz and Howe.

That’s equivalent to teams missing:

Richmond : Rance, Astbury, Grimes
Eagles : McGovern, McKenzie , Barass
Giants : Davis, Haynes , Corr
Demons : Mcdonald brothers and Lever

These teams wouldn’t be winning games against bottoms sides if they were missing such key personnel.
It’s a joke.

Didstar

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Massive positive is the forward group is together. Cox, Mihocek, De Goey, JT,WHE and Stephenson. Also another big mid into rotations. If we can get on top in the middle, i think it will be enough to kick a score to win. Important game. If we can get through this and get Howe and Reid back into the side, to sure up the defence, I think we will have a strong side for the coming weeks.

Mongo Ming

Intergalactic Despot
Sep 10, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’ll tell you what’s funny, when I hear that “all teams have injuries”.

We are missing Dunn, Schaz and Howe.

That’s equivalent to teams missing:

Richmond : Rance, Astbury, Grimes
Eagles : McGovern, McKenzie , Barass
Giants : Davis, Haynes , Corr
Demons : Mcdonald brothers and Lever

These teams wouldn’t be winning games against bottoms sides if they were missing such key personnel.
It’s a joke.

You forgot Moore. It’s amazing we aren’t getting annihilated. Props to the remaining boys holding the fort.

Didstar

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
You forgot Moore. It’s amazing we aren’t getting annihilated. Props to the remaining boys holding the fort.
Imo. I think that's due to, other than Treloar (and potentially Elliott), we have a strong mid/forward group. Langdon, Maynard and Crisp would be mainstays in defence, just need to sure up Howe as the interceptor and get a reliable KPD. Hopefully Madgen has a good game this weekend.

Imo. I think that's due to, other than Treloar (and potentially Elliott), we have a strong mid/forward group. Langdon, Maynard and Crisp would be mainstays in defence, just need to sure up Howe as the interceptor and get a reliable KPD. Hopefully Madgen has a good game this weekend.
Exactly, our Forward set up remains strong, midfield also strong...our defence is stretched/thin.
If we win the midfield battle & provide enough inside 50’s...we should kick a winning score.

May 12, 2014
FNQ
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
So, I've just added three new columns, MG (Metres gained), PA (pressure acts) and D.EFF (Disposal efficiency). I was a little surprised by the results!

Mayne is celebrated for his pressure acts and he averages 1.4 pressure acts a game more than Daicos. Mayne also has a slightly higher disposal efficiency but Daicos smashes Mayne in regards to metres gained. Maynes statics show he kicks less and hand balls more which would explain the metres gained, less clangers and and a slightly better disposal efficiency than Daicos. Mayne also plays 10% more game time.

At the end of the day Daicos is in the twos and Mayne gets more opportunity, once again, I personally don't think it is warranted.

upload_2018-8-10_11-21-37.png

MayneSpudHunter

Senior List
May 9, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Greece NT Kalloni FC
Massive positive is the forward group is together. Cox, Mihocek, De Goey, JT,WHE and Stephenson. Also another big mid into rotations. If we can get on top in the middle, i think it will be enough to kick a score to win. Important game. If we can get through this and get Howe and Reid back into the side, to sure up the defence, I think we will have a strong side for the coming weeks.

Does anyone have any news as to where reid has been training? you would hope he would be playing in defence

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Does anyone have any news as to where reid has been training? you would hope he would be playing in defence

You do know he was the All Australian CHB in 2011 don't you?

So, I've just added three new columns, MG (Metres gained), PA (pressure acts) and D.EFF (Disposal efficiency). I was a little surprised by the results!

Mayne is celebrated for his pressure acts and he averages 1.4 pressure acts a game more than Daicos. Mayne also has a slightly higher disposal efficiency but Daicos smashes Mayne in regards to metres gained. Maynes statics show he kicks less and hand balls more which would explain the metres gained, less clangers and and a slightly better disposal efficiency than Daicos. Mayne also plays 10% more game time.

At the end of the day Daicos is in the twos and Mayne gets more opportunity, once again, I personally don't think it is warranted.

View attachment 540830
How would the fact that Mayne has played 4 more games than Daicos impact these figures if at all?

I need to be careful here as every time, I make so many public statements about a player who I don't think should be selected, they normally come out and play a blinder.:D Anyhow, if it means we win, I will cop it.

Hyakutake

Cancelled
Aug 6, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood

View attachment 540830

The most damning thing in that list is the metres gained. For an experienced player like Mayne, playing a more free role on a wing, that is bad.

May 12, 2014
FNQ
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
How would the fact that Mayne has played 4 more games than Daicos impact these figures if at all?

I need to be careful here as every time, I make so many public statements about a player who I don't think should be selected, they normally come out and play a blinder.:D Anyhow, if it means we win, I will cop it.
I have only compare the games that both Daicos and Mayne have played together because they are against the same opposition.

May 12, 2014
FNQ
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
The most damning thing in that list is the metres gained. For an experienced player like Mayne, playing a more free role on a wing, that is bad.
Yes, Mayne replaced Aish apparently. Aish averaged 301 metres gained for the 5 games he played in 2018, against different opposition of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back