Unofficial Preview Changes v North - Gather Round

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh, I’m just looking forward to the draft.
To be honest, there is no point in us dropping down to mid table because we will still only get the same players in the draft.
We need to really bottom out for us to have any draft advantage.

Obviously we're desperate to get the Payne we had early last year. I thought he was only half pie again last night , had trouble sticking tackles , one mark , just no physical presence at all. 96% TOG and what , 6 possessions.

He and Hipwood have long contracts so we need to get them going somehow.

Prepare to be shouted down

100% agree though

I'm prepared to be sHoUTEd d0Wn by the CLIQUE that spends all their time blaming the same players every week, when the problem is clearly the whole bloody team.

We don't get anywhere by dropping good players down on form to MAke a sTAteMeNt - whole team's application to defensive pressure, gut-running and spread from the contest is the issue, along with finding a new ball movement method without our two most creative half-backs.

Kiddy's loss has only got worse the last two weeks. Every goal we score is through like 20 minutes of graft, nothing has been fluent since the early part of the second quarter against Carlton.

I'm prepared to be sHoUTEd d0Wn by the CLIQUE that spends all their time blaming the same players every week, when the problem is clearly the whole bloody team.

We don't get anywhere by dropping good players down on form to MAke a sTAteMeNt - whole team's application to defensive pressure, gut-running and spread from the contest is the issue, along with finding a new ball movement method without our two most creative half-backs.

Kiddy's loss has only got worse the last two weeks. Every goal we score is through like 20 minutes of graft, nothing has been fluent since the early part of the second quarter against Carlton.

Hipwood is a pet though so should play a month in the reserves after every bad senior game he plays disregarding that he's likely to bounce back and play much better next week like most experienced senior players do

Kangaroos are a bottom 2 side.

There will be no major changes, we win, the team feel like they turned the corner as Cameron and Hipwood kick goals and then we get a wake up call the following week.

Kangaroos now after our first three weeks is a horrible time to play them.

The midfield is a big issue. When Neale is hot and creative we at least get plenty of chances to win games. When he's not or stopped our forward entries and run and spread from the contest is poor.

Collingwood realised that to the extent that even Pendlebury was forced to give him a whack. Desperate to get Ashcroft back in but I think the club will keep the lid on that after the Doedee situation.

Disagree, we desperately need some confidence back.

It will just be deflated when Melbourne give us a proper touch up the following week.

Point is we needed another big loss next week so changes can happen. Not a win against a s**t side where our holes can be ignored because of a win.

The team that played last night will get killed by Melbourne.

The midfield is a big issue. When Neale is hot and creative we at least get plenty of chances to win games. When he's not or stopped our forward entries and run and spread from the contest is poor.

Collingwood realised that to the extent that even Pendlebury was forced to give him a whack. Desperate to get Ashcroft back in but I think the club will keep the lid on that after the Doedee situation.

It's very hard not to get excited about Ashcroft returning. Not out of the realms of possibility if he didn't do his ACL he'd be a premiership player pushing for all Australian this year

It's very hard not to get excited about Ashcroft returning. Not out of the realms of possibility if he didn't do his ACL he'd be a premiership player pushing for all Australian this year

Absolutely. We are so lucky to have him back later this year, and the likes of Levi and Marshall next year. Not often you can inject such high quality talent into your team during a flag window.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s about driving high performance and standards. The changes themselves may not make a huge difference. But what message do you send the players if they can continually get a game even if they’re badly out of form or not performing to AFL standard. If players aren’t watching their backs when they’re out of form then how is that conducive to helping motivate them and others to do extras and to be the best they can be. Sometimes a player needs a fair dinkum wake up call. It’s also confidence sapping for younger players that can’t get a gig when they deserve it.

Forget the team. It’s also not beneficial to the individual’s that are badly out of form. A players confidence is shot to pieces and we keep playing him hoping he turns it around. There is nothing wrong with working on a few things at the lower level for a month where the pressure is off. They will come back stronger and better for it if they are made to earn their spots.

At the moment having a Hipwood or Payne out of the team is not going to be detrimental to us winning games. We might even find that the players that come in do a way better job!

I know. But he did do his ACL unfortunately. No one internally is blaming the club for what happened to Doedee but the fact that it did happen makes me think we'll be super conservative with Will and that any impact this year will by limited by a strong conservative prep.

It’s about driving high performance and standards. The changes themselves may not make a huge difference. But what message do you send the players if they can continually get a game even if they’re badly out of form or not performing to AFL standard. If players aren’t watching their backs when they’re out of form then how is that conducive to helping motivate them and others to do extras and to be the best they can be. Sometimes a player needs a fair dinkum wake up call. It’s also confidence sapping for younger players that can’t get a gig when they deserve it.

Forget the team. It’s also not beneficial to the individual’s that are badly out of form. A players confidence is shot to pieces and we keep playing him hoping he turns it around. There is nothing wrong with working on a few things at the lower level for a month where the pressure is off. They will come back stronger and better for it if they are made to earn their spots.

At the moment having a Hipwood or Payne out of the team is not going to be detrimental to us winning games. We might even find that the players that come in do a way better job!

Hipwood kicked 3 against the dockers and was one of our better players. Played decently against Carlton but wasn't accurate.

If we're talking about players who are badly out of form, are we dropping Charlie? Because he might be the forward most off the pace.

Hipwood kicked 3 against the dockers and was one of our better players. Played decently against Carlton but wasn't accurate.

If we're talking about players who are badly out of form, are we dropping Charlie? Because he might be the forward most off the pace.
Charlie seems to have lost all confidence in front of the sticks. And flies for speccies when he should be front and centre. Going deep to Charlie in a one on one worked back in the day but presently he gets worked over in that situation more often than not. He's had lots of opportunities in the first 3 games that he would have swallowed when he was sharp and in form.

So no we're not dropping him ,the question is what do we do to get him back into form and accurate in front of the sticks like Hill ,Paps and Elliot. Is it coaching , psychanalysis , just waiting it out or a combination?

Yes, it goes for all players. I don’t have an issue with who they drop. Including Charlie. But if I had to choose to drop one of those it would still be Hipwood. At least Charlie can crumb a goal and isn’t out of the game when the ball is on the ground.

Hipwood was ok for a qtr against Freo. Then popped up when the game was over in the last qtr and they had 4 players off injured. The accuracy issue I’m not being light on. That’s poor football.

Yes, it goes for all players. I don’t have an issue with who they drop. Including Charlie. But if I had to choose to drop one of those it would still be Hipwood. At least Charlie can crumb a goal and isn’t out of the game when the ball is on the ground.

Hipwood was ok for a qtr against Freo. Then popped up when the game was over in the last qtr and they had 4 players off injured. The accuracy issue I’m not being light on. That’s poor football.
Hippy was past terrible last night. He's an almost player ,even on his good days.

I just don't see who we have that would be better but another performance like that and you'd try anybody.

The one aspect of Hipwood's game that needs work is his handballing skills. He gets to the front often enough to get hands to it but when it inevitably falls to the ground he's poor at recovering quickly and dishing it out. He's a big awkward guy who needs to use that to his advantage and block the opposition and get the ball going our way far better than what he does. Quick hands he has not.

Big game for the VFL lads today. Spots up for grabs.
Fagan won't swap at least until mid-season. He's too wedded to "players were loyal to me, I won't abandon them"

Make them all sit down and watch the best version of themselves from last year. Just visualise and bring that 2023 mindset back when playing. Right now they are going at 3-4/10. If visualizing helps them get to even 6-7/10 they'll beat mid tier teams.

Training alone won't help, they need to fake the 2023 form, body language and bravado and it'll kick in eventually. Talent is there, its all in the head now.

So if you're Brandon Ryan in the 2s you take it easy until Hippy has a poor game and you get to replace him?

The guys in the reserves still have to be good enough to show they're up to AFL level instead of waiting for a senior guy to be punished for dropping marks to get their chance

And that's the issue. The depth isn't there

I also feel we are underestimating that first Gabba loss and its collective effect on the team. We went 13-0 and its like our fortress in 2023. Imagine the strongest frontier collapsing on day 1 of war and what impact it'll cause on the troops. Shell shocked is an understatement in my view.

Would love to know the drills the coaches have Hipwood doing to get better at marking, specifically with one take. I just find it hard to fathom that you could be in your 8th year of professional football where one of your primary roles is to clunk it, and you’re still double grabbing, or having it bounce off your chest more times than not. Wonder if it’s technique, anatomy of his hands and arms or maybe even eyesight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back