Unofficial Preview Changes v North - Gather Round

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Norwood Oval is about 7 metres narrower and 5 metres shorter than Kardinia Park, so wouldn't expect anything other than a tightly contested scrap. Having said that, thought the two most entertaining games of last year's GR were played at the ground, so :shrug:
I was really entertained by the game at Mt Barker...

So if you're Brandon Ryan in the 2s you take it easy until Hippy has a poor game and you get to replace him?

The guys in the reserves still have to be good enough to show they're up to AFL level instead of waiting for a senior guy to be punished for dropping marks to get their chance

And that's the issue. The depth isn't there
That’s not what I’m saying. I’m actually saying the opposite.

Competition for spots and integrity drive performance for everyone. Morris already dominating in twos. So let’s use him as the logical example as opposed to Ryan who we haven’t seen.

Otherwise let’s just reward mediocrity.

That’s not what I’m saying. I’m actually saying the opposite.

Competition for spots and integrity drive performance for everyone. Morris already dominating in twos. So let’s use him as the logical example as opposed to Ryan who we haven’t seen.

Otherwise let’s just reward mediocrity.

I don't think Morris is competing with Hipwoods spot though

I just want to know what changed at half time of the Carlton game.

Two completely different teams played that day and the team from the first half of the Carlton game is off in Hawaii or something right now.
Probably hard to know what Kiddy going down on the stroke of half time did to the physche of the group. Be hard mentally to stay switched on after losing one of your most important players (and in my view our most important for this team).

Id argue if he didn’t go down we probably don’t drop the Carlton game. All it would’ve taken is some extra composure and an extra intercept mark or two in that game. Both of which we lost at half time.

It’s about driving high performance and standards. The changes themselves may not make a huge difference. But what message do you send the players if they can continually get a game even if they’re badly out of form or not performing to AFL standard. If players aren’t watching their backs when they’re out of form then how is that conducive to helping motivate them and others to do extras and to be the best they can be. Sometimes a player needs a fair dinkum wake up call. It’s also confidence sapping for younger players that can’t get a gig when they deserve it.

Forget the team. It’s also not beneficial to the individual’s that are badly out of form. A players confidence is shot to pieces and we keep playing him hoping he turns it around. There is nothing wrong with working on a few things at the lower level for a month where the pressure is off. They will come back stronger and better for it if they are made to earn their spots.

At the moment having a Hipwood or Payne out of the team is not going to be detrimental to us winning games. We might even find that the players that come in do a way better job!
Absolutely.

And those that bemoan anyone daring to say that a statement should be made by dropping a name player that it will make no difference, I ask them, name one occasion that a name player has been dropped which makes a statement to the squad?

They can’t, because it’s not happened once so why wouldn’t you try it just once and just see if it is the tonic or gets a semblance of a reaction from this stale group.

Better yet, we can just do nothing as Fagan has always done, just drop one of the same usual scapegoats and expect a different result and ultimate success.

Based on the fact that last week I raised that fagan should sit on the bench and this week he did, I think it’s reasonable to assume he reads and respects my opinions on football.

Chris, I want you to debut Logan Morris this week.

The midfield is a big issue. When Neale is hot and creative we at least get plenty of chances to win games. When he's not or stopped our forward entries and run and spread from the contest is poor.

Collingwood realised that to the extent that even Pendlebury was forced to give him a whack. Desperate to get Ashcroft back in but I think the club will keep the lid on that after the Doedee situation.
If everyone else in the midfield bar Neale is playing poorly, it can't hurt to give one of the youngsters who has performed well in the VFL a crack instead. Who knows, they might just surprise us.

So if you're Brandon Ryan in the 2s you take it easy until Hippy has a poor game and you get to replace him?

The guys in the reserves still have to be good enough to show they're up to AFL level instead of waiting for a senior guy to be punished for dropping marks to get their chance

And that's the issue. The depth isn't there
Except there are plenty of players who haven't been crap in the reserves. Morris has played well each week, just as he did in preseason.

Last edited:
Based on the fact that last week I raised that fagan should sit on the bench and this week he did, I think it’s reasonable to assume he reads and respects my opinions on football.

Chris, I want you to debut Logan Morris this week.
Of the few teams that I’d be happy for one of our young draftees to debut it would be against North; the likes of Eagles, Hawks and Bombers would be the others.

If everyone else in the midfield bar Neale is playing poorly, it can't hurt to give one of the youngsters who ha performed well in the VFL a crack instead. Who knows, they might just surprise us.

Except there are plenty of players who haven't been crap in the reserves. Morris has played well each week, just as he did in preseason.

Morris has been good but it’s a big step up. Remember today he played against the backs that couldn’t play firsts for Collingwood

And he’s competing to play a role we don’t currently have in the seniors

If we had a ruck dominating in the VFL or a running back dominating but unable to get a game it’d look different

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lohmann has well and truly earned his spot in the team after a brilliant VFL game.

Think Dev needs to find form in the VFL so would go Reville or Tunstill in.
Kicking that goal last night might be what kickstarts Kai.

I'm not convinced Reville or Tunstill would add anything of significance right now but the way we're going I'm all in on giving one of them a go. And the most logical at this point is Tunstill who has improved his fitness to the point where he could run out a Senior game.

Kicking that goal last night might be what kickstarts Kai.

I'm not convinced Reville or Tunstill would add anything of significance right now but the way we're going I'm all in on giving one of them a go. And the most logical at this point is Tunstill who has improved his fitness to the point where he could run out a Senior game.

For me, it's about who will play that defensive half forward/mid role best. Dev has not had a good start to the year and really needs time to find form and need someone to step into that role and deliver. Think both could based on exposed VFL form.

Start Hipwood on the bench to send a message….. sitting on the bench is no fun. Start smaller in the forwards with Lohmann to give him confidence that he has earned his spot and see how he grasps the opportunity. At least he can take a mark and kick a goal as shown today in the VFL.

Last edited:
I want Lohmann, Reville and Morris in the 22

I am a huge Morris fan from what I've seen of him, just don't think he's quite ready for a full time AFL level gig. Will definitely get a debut though!

For me, it's about who will play that defensive half forward/mid role best. Dev has not had a good start to the year and really needs time to find form and need someone to step into that role and deliver. Think both could based on exposed VFL form.
I really like the way Reville goes about it. He's a lot stronger than last year but I still think he needs more conditioning and experience in the 2's .

Nonetheless would be happy to see him debut at some point this year because who looks to have the tools to make the transition over time ,and who knows maybe he's one of those guys who naturally copes with the extra pressure.

I thought as a team the game v Pies was an improvement. We started the season underdone in preseason, underdone with injury recovery and we've had some irreplaceable injuries. I think for a lot of players the more they play the better they will get. So I can see the reasoning behind sticking with the team mostly as it is. Showing some faith.

The 2 rucks worked v Pies. I thought we got first use of the ball a lot more. It was wasted and fumbled a lot. General play with 2 rucks not so good. I don't think we need 2 rucks v North, but I would be more than open to giving young Morris a 3rd tall spot. It gets Daniher in the game as 2nd ruck, and we have a fwd that can lead, take a mark and kick a goal. I don't follow the school of thought that a fwd takes time to develop in the 2nds. Could be 4 or 5yrs. There wouldn't be too many of the 2 key fwds in any team that came into the team on a slow burn. I'd suggest most have been thrown in the deepend in their first or second year. I'd be keen to see the numbers on that. Anyway if Fagan wants 3 fwds play a young fella, be brave, don't try to create one like Gardiner.

Other changes are just tinkering around the edges. Fringe players in and out, never getting a chance to settle or grow into a role.

Would consider him ahead of Fort but that might be Lohmann spot

If we played him, he'd likely need to get subbed as I'm not sure his fitness is quite ready for AFL level full time tbh. Not far off though.

If I were the Lions, I'd be considering (and I know they won't because Fagan doesn't drop his pets):

Backs:
Andrews, Lester, Starcevich, Wilmot, Zorko, Payne (we are really stuck here because he has fallen off a cliff but what other options for KD do we have available and can do a job?)

Middles:
Neale, Dunkley, Fort, Fletcher, McCluggage, Tunstill

Forwards:
Daniher, Ryan, McCarthy, Rayner, Bailey, Lohmann

Interchange:
Ah Chee, Sharp, Cameron, Reville/Brain, Smith

Some of this would work, some wouldn't but you might just about find a gem if these blokes are given an extended run, you never know and a statement needs to be made with some of the undroppables.

If I were the Lions, I'd be considering (and I know they won't because Fagan doesn't drop his pets):

Backs:
Andrews, Lester, Starcevich, Wilmot, Zorko, Payne (we are really stuck here because he has fallen off a cliff but what other options for KD do we have available and can do a job?)

Middles:
Neale, Dunkley, Fort, Fletcher, McCluggage, Tunstill

Forwards:
Daniher, Ryan, McCarthy, Rayner, Bailey, Lohmann

Interchange:
Ah Chee, Sharp, Cameron, Reville/Brain, Smith

Some of this would work, some wouldn't but you might just about find a gem if these blokes are given an extended run, you never know and a statement needs to be made with some of the undroppables.

Sending a harsh message to Hippy dropping him for someone who’s injured

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back