Unofficial Preview Changes v Port Adelaide?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Then injuries happen and we have to deal with it. If that means debuting players, that means debuting players.
So you're okay with blooding young players in sudden death games against the best teams in the league, but not in the early part of the season against strugglers?

Selection policy has to be about winning each week this year and given our position.
The idea is to use games now that are likely wins with lower pressure, in order to give us a better chance at winning at the business end of the year, when we need all the resources we can get at our disposal. Short-term thinking can bite us in the arse at the least opportune time.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Of course Martin in if fit for Archie.

Out:Zorko
In: From these options Christensen (133 games),Berry (1), Hinge (2), Mathieson (46), Robertson (1)

Whoever from that group that's training and playing well in scratch matches.
Pretty sure Berry played against Freo and West Coast.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Why would you want to drop four players after the win? o_O
To be accurate, I’m dropping 3.

Zorko is injured.

I’m on the record as saying I have concerns about Gardiner. Funnily enough Quigley mentioned the same recently, with a far better explanation than I could give.

Short version, I don’t believe he’s as good as most here believe he is, and I believe he costs us a couple of goals a game from playing to far off and losing his opponent. And it’s only his athletic ability that saves him from costing us more.

Against a tall Port side, I’d prefer Payne over Gardiner.

I believe Birchall is a luxury we’ve been able to get away with against poor teams so far this reboot. Against a much more athletic Port, who role a lot of faster small to medium players through their forward line, I’d rather the faster, and more defensively minded Answerth.

Finally, I like many others here don’t believe Smith adds to our team. I’d rather Oscar spend more time in the ruck, with McStay and Skinner giving him a chop out.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
It’s making changes for the sake of it. Not sure how Jack Payne who has never played a game has managed to go pass Gardiner who is more than just a solid back man. Gardiner was brilliant against West Coat.
That’s your opinion.

Obviously I have a different opinion.

We’ll never know how Payne will perform until he’s selected.

We didn’t play West Coast on the weekend.

That’s your opinion.

Obviously Chris Fagan and the Coaching staff have a differing opinion to you as well.
I reckon that his name would be one of the first names selected each and every week.

jonnobackpocket

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
That’s your opinion.

I realise we didn’t play West Coast on the weekend but I usually take into account more than the just the 1 previous game when considering selection.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Obviously Chris Fagan and the Coaching staff have a differing opinion to you as well.
I reckon that his name would be one of the first names selected each and every week.
Obviously. Not sure what else there is to say.

I realise we didn’t play West Coast on the weekend but I usually take into account more than the just the 1 previous game when considering selection.
Me to. That’s why I’ve mentioned it in the past.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
I'm all for bringing Payne in at some stage but not by also dropping one of best defenders.
I don’t believe Gardiner can adequately defend against proper KPF sized opponents.

I believe he can be a very good defender against third tall and medium forwards, if he plays them closer.

But as I’ve mentioned before, he’s often responsible for his man kicking one or two goals a game, simply from playing to far off them, and losing them when they head back towards goal and empty space.

Pretty sure Tex kicked a goal on him from such a situation yesterday. And he also got done for an unnecessary push in the back on Tex.

LionCub29

Senior List
Jul 30, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Out. McStay and Zorko
In. Ballenden and Berry
Just watched the Adelaide replay, snowball’s chance that McStay gets dropped after his game. Keen to see Ballenden given opportunity, but can’t see that coming as a relief ruckman against the big-bodied Lycett and the need for a ruckman to drop back at times in front of Dixon.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Short version, I don’t believe he’s as good as most here believe he is, and I believe he costs us a couple of goals a game from playing to far off and losing his opponent. And it’s only his athletic ability that saves him from costing us more.

Against a tall Port side, I’d prefer Payne over Gardiner.

I believe Birchall is a luxury we’ve been able to get away with against poor teams so far this reboot. Against a much more athletic Port, who role a lot of faster small to medium players through their forward line, I’d rather the faster, and more defensively minded Answerth.

Finally, I like many others here don’t believe Smith adds to our team. I’d rather Oscar spend more time in the ruck, with McStay and Skinner giving him a chop out.
Well reasoned. I wonder if Gardiner has to shift to the third tall eventually. I assume that was the plan behind signing Adams, and yet rather than try Payne (or in my own view, McStay, because I think he'd be a better key defender than key forward) back there instead, they have Gardiner playing tall. And even though he did well there at times last season, it may not be his best role.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Pretty clear both Quigley and Briztoon stick very closely to the opinion they form of a player based on their predraft reputation.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If we weren't prepared to play him (or any other young KPPs) against the worst team in the league, are we really going to against the best team in the league?

I was dumbfounded by the team selection against Adelaide. We wasted a game on Archie who has no future at the top while neglecting to give the youngsters an opportunity. I know we haven't seen the boys play in the twos and Fages has more than earned our trust, I just don't know if a better opportunity will present itself for a long while.
Yes there was a chance to trial Skinner up front or Ballenden, and rest McStay. One of the young guys for Zorks who probably wasn't 100% and Payne somewhere in the backline. Whilst Lester has performed well, we know after 10 years what he has and it is not too bad. Birchall could have been 'managed' against Adelaide, I think Answerth is also stiff not to be playing. They say it takes a whole club effort to win a comp, it seems it takes 22 players, and another 3 or 4 on the peripheral with the club relying on no injuries.
Then when? We're not so bad that we can't afford to trial players against a team that got crushed by the Suns the week before. We were favoured by six goals.

What happens if we have injuries right before the finals and the best players available for us haven't yet played a senior match? Will that be the right time to debut them, or should we pick veterans who aren't performing the best in the reserves?
Yes it is about winning but there also has to be some development for the future or immediate future subject to injuries. I think young Berry showed in his debut that there are probably a handful of promising young players who could perform a role.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don’t believe Gardiner can adequately defend against proper KPF sized opponents.

I believe he can be a very good defender against third tall and medium forwards, if he plays them closer.

But as I’ve mentioned before, he’s often responsible for his man kicking one or two goals a game, simply from playing to far off them, and losing them when they head back towards goal and empty space.

Pretty sure Tex kicked a goal on him from such a situation yesterday. And he also got done for an unnecessary push in the back on Tex.
You've raised some issues on certain players that I partly agree with Britzoon , I can also see the counter arguments.

We're presently in the fortunate position of having options . That hasn't been the case until recently.

The trap nearly every supporter falls into imo including myself is over analysing what certain players do or don't do , particular contests in a game that illustrate their deficiencies , and I think we all tend to overrate what replacing a player will do to benefit the team.

I don't agree with our team selections some of the time but I accept that if you're not intimately involved at that level you don't really know what's going on in the team or on the field. Or what benefit potential replacements might bring.

Big game this week.

Just watched the Adelaide replay, snowball’s chance that McStay gets dropped after his game. Keen to see Ballenden given opportunity, but can’t see that coming as a relief ruckman against the big-bodied Lycett and the need for a ruckman to drop back at times in front of Dixon.
McStay has kicked A TOTAL OF TEN GOALS from his last FIFTEEN GAMES and he is our Full Forward / Key Position Forward. It has to be time to give someone else a chance. We must do better and will not be serious Premiership contenders until we do.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Pretty clear both Quigley and Briztoon stick very closely to the opinion they form of a player based on their predraft reputation.
Eh, Gardiner’s predraft reputation was that he was the best defender in his draft.

But he’s undersized to play on genuine tall forwards at AFL level.

As I’ve said repeatedly, I believe he plays to far off his man, and this is costing us at times.

That might be a coaching instruction, as it’s pretty clear our defenders do push right up when we’re attacking and have the ball in the forward half of the ground.

My, and Quigley’s assessments, are made on players performances at AFL level.

If they were based on predraft reputation, I’d be calling for Skinner to be played in defence.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Well reasoned. I wonder if Gardiner has to shift to the third tall eventually. I assume that was the plan behind signing Adams, and yet rather than try Payne (or in my own view, McStay, because I think he'd be a better key defender than key forward) back there instead, they have Gardiner playing tall. And even though he did well there at times last season, it may not be his best role.
Tend to agree, obviously they must think there is no pressure on McStay from any of our young KPF, otherwise you would think they would have got a chance last week against Adelaide. If either Lester or Birchall are not in the side, would think Gardiner takes the 3rd tall/med with Payne taking the second tall. I would love to see Payne against young Marshall this week. He is too inexperienced to take Dixon that is Andrew's role, but I doubt there will be too many changes other than the obvious for Zork and if Stef is fit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back