Preview Changes vs Adelaide - Round 9, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

McGovern should never have been on Hawkins, his role is an interceptor not as a lockdown defender. Against Geelong it should have been Barrass on Hawkins and Rotham on Cameron. When McGovern got injured bizarrely Simpson decided to put Sheppard on Cameron rather than the more logical Rotham.

For some reason a few times each year Simpson decides to start McGovern out of the square on the opposition's most dangerous forward, remember that against Sydney a year or so back and Buddy had 3 goals by quarter time. That should always be Barrass's job and McGovern given licence to do his own thing on a lesser player.
Rotham should not go anywhere near an elite tall forward. As good as he has been he shits the bed against players his height or taller. Should improve with experience and as he gets bigger but not at the moment. Shep having a shite game on Rohan didnt help either cause Shep usually plays well on Cameron

Rotham should not go anywhere near an elite tall forward. As good as he has been he shits the bed against players his height or taller. Should improve with experience and as he gets bigger but not at the moment. Shep having a sh*te game on Rohan didnt help either cause Shep usually plays well on Cameron

Yep, Rotham just isn't strong enough (probably not tall enough either TBH - but it is the strength that he lacks more than height).

As such, he gives away free kicks by trying to keep body contact (and either holding, or high contact).

He's great on mid-size and small forwards though.

Not sure who takes Tex... He may be too quick for TB? And he is an elite field kick so pushing him up and forcing his possessions 70m+ out from goal is not as much of an advantage as it would be for some other key forwards. That said, I can't see him monstering TB in the contest, so maybe we do concede a little up the ground but limit scoreboard damage (and assume our mids run hard back to cover the incoming kick/kicks).

The other interesting one is do we tag this week? We know Nelson can do a job, and both Laird and Sloane could be viable options.

Yep, Rotham just isn't strong enough (probably not tall enough either TBH - but it is the strength that he lacks more than height).

As such, he gives away free kicks by trying to keep body contact (and either holding, or high contact).

Not sure who takes Tex... He may be too quick for TB? And he is an elite field kick so pushing him up and forcing his possessions 70m+ out from goal is not as much of an advantage as it would be for some other key forwards. That said, I can't see him monstering TB in the contest, so maybe we do concede a little up the ground but limit scoreboard damage (and assume our mids run hard back to cover the incoming kick/kicks).

The other interesting one is do we tag this week? We know Nelson can do a job, and both Laird and Sloane could be viable options.

Laird is their play maker these days.

So the question is who plays on Tex? Over 40% of the Crows score involvements go through him so we need to shut him down. I see only 2 options. Barrass if right to go and Oscar. Even if Gov is fit, he plays too loose to close down Tex. Hurn if available does not have the running capacity any more. Rotham does not have the physical presence to go with him.

Despite Tex getting one decent mark 2 weeks ago, he is not really an aerial threat but is more damaging with lead up chest marks.

So the question is who plays on Tex? Over 40% of the Crows score involvements go through him so we need to shut him down. I see only 2 options. Barrass if right to go and Oscar. Even if Gov is fit, he plays too loose to close down Tex. Hurn if available does not have the running capacity any more. Rotham does not have the physical presence to go with him.

Despite Tex getting one decent mark 2 weeks ago, he is not really an aerial threat but is more damaging with lead up chest marks.

Barrass first crack

I think alot of us get sucked into him being tall and expecting him to play KPD role but he’s one of many tallish players in the comp that play small. In the future I can see him playing third tall but I hope he can be answer to that hybrid forward/big bodied mid. He had that pace and agility to with them but has to get stronger obviously.

Agree on your best 7 backline EXCEPT I think once Shuey and Yeo are back that Duggan goes back to the backline as Brander seems to cemented himself in the midfield.
So I think Cole gets dropped unfortunately and then it's still Witherden and Nelson fighting it out for 7th and that's a tough one.
I'm not so sure Rotham is a certain starter.
Barrass, McGovern, Hurn, Sheppard, Duggan + 2 of Nelson, Witherden, Rotham, Cole. You can make a case for any two of those.

I'm not so sure Rotham is a certain starter.
Barrass, McGovern, Hurn, Sheppard, Duggan + 2 of Nelson, Witherden, Rotham, Cole. You can make a case for any two of those.

I'd say I'm not the only one who has moved Rotham to their clear B22 pile - so until Hurn retires or Duggan makes a permanent move to the midfield then Nelson, Witherden and Cole are battling it out if we were to be injury free.

In terms of Duggan to the midfield - personally I'm in favour of keeping Duggan back where he plays his best footy, but I am aware that the transition was 110% successful for Yeo and that the same debate was being had there also.

Not saying Luke Edwards shouldn't debut because I'm not really familiar with his Beagles form, but if he gets a run it should be because he has earned it... not to do with our opponents overlooking him in the draft.

Please rest JK. Lets not have any more stupid repeat injuries. I'm sure one of Barrass or Gov will be ready so the obvious change is there and moving Allen back into the forward line.

In terms of Duggan to the midfield - personally I'm in favour of keeping Duggan back where he plays his best footy, but I am aware that the transition was 110% successful for Yeo and that the same debate was being had there also.
Duggan is definitely a better half back flanker at the moment, but I wouldn't be writing the move off after roughly 4 games. When migrating into the midfield, most players appear to take a backwards step during the first season. There's nothing about Duggan to suggest he has no chance of moving into a midfieldw/ing role. And in terms of team structure it makes sense as we our midfield depth is poor whilst we have numerous good back flankers in the squad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not surprised with Nelson still copping flack. It took a while for Gaff to shake the “soft/weak” tag and in fact there’s still fan. In fact a main reason I joined BF was because it got too much. 13/14 was the worst when the plebs wanted Gaff/Shuey/JD traded

Hmmm interesting. What might you say be a potential trade?

One good reason to play Ledwards is that there’s no WAFL this week, so he’d miss two weeks of footy if he doesn’t debut.

That's still not enough reason for me. I haven't read anything to suggest he's kicking the door down. Our season is on the line this week. No novelty games, back in our performers who are getting it done with their backs to the wall.

That's still not enough reason for me. I haven't read anything to suggest he's kicking the door down. Our season is on the line this week. No novelty games, back in our performers who are getting it done with their backs to the wall.
Getting it done against Freo and Hawks, let's keep that in context.

Bailey performed well coming off lukewarm WAFL form at best. I'm confident Edwards would do a job if selected.

Getting it done against Freo and Hawks, let's keep that in context.

Yes let's. Depleted beyond our wildest imaginations to a spate of injuries. I've given us no chance the past two weeks, and some good performances have proven me wrong.

I just don't think it sends the right message prematurely promoting a first gamer when the tested depth is holding up their end of the bargain along with some return to form from our second string mids.

Happy to see the kids come in and chop it up, but we're short on wise old heads out there, and it could quickly turn into a scenario where we're carrying someone for four quarters. We do not have that luxury at the moment. We must win games and advance the ledger.

Given Foley was the sub he would be more likely to get elevated to the 22. If two of Gov, Barrass or Bunga come back could see Foley coming out for them in addition to HEdwards. Hopefully JK has avoided the injury curse.

Actually, that’s not true. The competition average for hitouts to advantage is around 35%, and in the derby, Vardy got 12 hitouts, with 6 to advantage. That’s actually considered elite.

Additionally, against Brodie Grundy, Vard‘s got 6 hitouts to advantage from a total of 8 HOs.

His percentage of hitouts to advantage this year is actually the same as Nic’s (40%). So he seems to be a better ruckman than you give him credit for.

Guess can understand playing Vardy against Grundy and Gawn, two of the premier ruckmen, who play big minutes as Williams is probably not physically ready to match it with them for any sort of extended period. The other teams, Williams will be fine. He should play.

Ryan mentioned in the news as a possible in for this week, with the standard proviso 'depending how he pulls up....'

Last edited:
Yep, he's making some obvious fu**-ups at the moment but Cripps is still top-10 in the AFL for pressure acts which suggests the effort is still elite.
Cripps also has a history of stepping up during the season. Stops his fumbles, gets more of the ball and kicks goals as well as supports the mids and other forwards. It just takes him so bloody long to do it and he can go backwards again if he misses games as he seems to lose touch again. Still worth his place and on the improve at the moment

Yes let's. Depleted beyond our wildest imaginations to a spate of injuries. I've given us no chance the past two weeks, and some good performances have proven me wrong.

I just don't think it sends the right message prematurely promoting a first gamer when the tested depth is holding up their end of the bargain along with some return to form from our second string mids.

Happy to see the kids come in and chop it up, but we're short on wise old heads out there, and it could quickly turn into a scenario where we're carrying someone for four quarters. We do not have that luxury at the moment. We must win games and advance the ledger.
You gave us no chance against the Hawks on the weekend? Easiest tip of the weekend and kept me in the gauntlet at work.

I wouldn't advocate bringing in anyone if I thought they'd be carried for four quarters.

He's probably not required this week but he'd do a good job if selected.

I think Rotham just loses confidence against the bigger forwards and takes his eye off the ball. His assists are pace, reading the play and good disposals and he may never be man on man beast but can still win by using those assets and backing himself in

It’s also structural, I feel like we need an extra mid because we went in one short and made up for it by pushing Cripps to a wing and Ah Chee and Jones taking the odd rotation.

And if we do bring in a mid, it’s probably between O’Neill, who’s on the nose for some reason, and Ledwards who must be close if he was taken over to Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back