Preview Changes vs Hawks (Rnd 5) In: Petty, Hibberd, MBrown Out: Fritsch(inj), Jetta(Omit), May(inj), Sparrow(Omit)

Remove this Banner Ad

cant wait for Jones' 300th game. Surprised TMac had 9 marks felt like he dropped about 20 chances. Jordon might need a rest * knows why he played only bout 1/2 the game when he has been playing 2/3 the other weeks. Sparrow is similar to most our mids and didn't do alot from what I seen.
Wonder if it's worth giving Majak a run in defence now that May could be out for a couple of months.
Joel Smith might be who I bring in to add abit of aerial coverage for the bigger forward set ups
Out May, Sparrow
In Hibberd, Bedford.

Does the Dees Board think Nibbler and Chunk have played well enough this year to hold their places?

Chunk has done fine for his skillset at this point of his career but IMO he's just not a finals quality player and he hasn't played as much forward as I thought he would this year. Still fine getting him to 300 because he deserves it but would hope he gets taken out after that.

Nibbler I swear is just a passenger, I'm sure he runs hard and puts up great GPS numbers; kicked a nice goal from the pocket today. But I just don't get what he brings in that HF role that Harmes couldn't bring; Harmes IMO is not top 4 level starting centre square midfielder, but his ground level work would be well suited to our get it to ground level inside 50 strategy and he's a good mark too.

Just realised our list is shitter than I thought it was and those two might be best 22 by merit; does anyone know how Vanders is tracking?

ANB has been fine this year. He's not a superstar but does his role as a pressure player and snags the odd goal too. Ball use seems much better this season.

Not everyone has to be a superstar to make top 4. Dan Rioli does s**t all bar every 8th game but has 3 premiership medals.

Does the Dees Board think Nibbler and Chunk have played well enough this year to hold their places?

Chunk has done fine for his skillset at this point of his career but IMO he's just not a finals quality player and he hasn't played as much forward as I thought he would this year. Still fine getting him to 300 because he deserves it but would hope he gets taken out after that.

Nibbler I swear is just a passenger, I'm sure he runs hard and puts up great GPS numbers; kicked a nice goal from the pocket today. But I just don't get what he brings in that HF role that Harmes couldn't bring; Harmes IMO is not top 4 level starting centre square midfielder, but his ground level work would be well suited to our get it to ground level inside 50 strategy and he's a good mark too.

Just realised our list is shitter than I thought it was and those two might be best 22 by merit; does anyone know how Vanders is tracking?

ANB runs his guts out every week, Harmes wouldn't do as much work off the ball. Jones is mildly better than last year but still being carried a bit, our wins are masking the fact despite being better than 2020 he still isn't offering a heap. Harmes also plays completely differently to ANB up forward.

Did people really have an issue with Jetta today? I thought he was fine. Not at his old lofty heights, sure, but certainly didn’t see anything from him or Jones (who was driving me up the wall last year) to suggest they should be dropped

ANB has been fine this year. He's not a superstar but does his role as a pressure player and snags the odd goal too. Ball use seems much better this season.

Not everyone has to be a superstar to make top 4. Dan Rioli does sh*t all bar every 8th game but has 3 premiership medals.
Agreed, but a Castagna who I don't really rate, is faster on the lead and applies better pressure.

A Tom Atkins(well the last few years) is a bit better at crumbing/ground level ball gets.

ANB's goal-sense...it felt like it was good in the second half of 2017, one of his first games he kicked a few genuine forward pocket goals against the Cats, but I don't think he's really an AFL level-goalsneak.

Nibbler doesn't stick tackles great either. I'd legit prefer a Lachie Murphy type to him, someone who at least has genuine pace.

Then you add that playing him with Spargo and Kozzie makes it a pretty small forward line.

Fair point on the off-ball work, no way Harmes or Milkshakes is doing that. But I think other teams have better players than Nibbler as their weakest forwards

Agreed, but a Castagna who I don't really rate, is faster on the lead and applies better pressure.

A Tom Atkins(well the last few years) is a bit better at crumbing/ground level ball gets.

ANB's goal-sense...it felt like it was good in the second half of 2017, one of his first games he kicked a few genuine forward pocket goals against the Cats, but I don't think he's really an AFL level-goalsneak.

Nibbler doesn't stick tackles great either. I'd legit prefer a Lachie Murphy type to him, someone who at least has genuine pace.

Then you add that playing him with Spargo and Kozzie makes it a pretty small forward line.

Fair point on the off-ball work, no way Harmes or Milkshakes is doing that. But I think other teams have better players than Nibbler as their weakest forwards

Tom atkins lol

9 goals in 38 games

Come on mate. Agree we're carrying Jones a bit but there are plenty of spuds out there with premiership medallions. Doesn't matter in reality if we have ANB or Melksham or Vanders in, our success is 95% dictated by our top dozen players.

Tom atkins lol

9 goals in 38 games

Come on mate. Agree we're carrying Jones a bit but there are plenty of spuds out there with premiership medallions. Doesn't matter in reality if we have ANB or Melksham or Vanders in, our success is 95% dictated by our top dozen players.
Atkins isn't an elite goal kicker but he's good at getting it off the deck and dishing it off to someone else who is good there. I think its pretty fair to say he's a better player than Nibbler personally.

Nibbler is probably fine as the 22nd man, I'll concede that, and its hard to have an ideal team, and sometimes teams that look ideal on paper don't work out that way(GWS for periods last year IMO). So I could and should probably nitpick other things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shithouse call on nibbler, been very good for us this year. Been our best kick inside 50 this year no doubt. Did he have a great game against the cats? Nah. Neither did Pickett but the unit still did it's job. Horrible call.

I reckon we will do one of 2 things, either Petty or Hibberd comes in straight swap for May, or we bring in a runner and push Tmac back when we bring in Brown.

Watching at the ground for the first time this season did show that Jetta is slow and Geelong exploited that, particularly late.
He probably stays in though, Hawthorn have a few old small forwards he can dial with.

I thought Jetta was not good at all, I'll be f’ed if we don't have a couple blokes who could do his role better than him.
Hibbo definitely but would assume there’s a reason he’s not back in. Lockhart injured and Bowey far off it.

Melksham did FA sadly but might as well give him another run. Would want to show a lot to stay in for ANZAC eve.
Agree. Sparrow didn’t set the world alight when he came on too

When the hell did Tmac play in defence
Pushing back maybe a better description. Certainly wasn’t picking up a man permanently but definitely had a few 1v1s in defence at the Punt Road End, unless I was mixing him up with Tomlinson all day

Remove this Banner Ad

Back