Preview Changes vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Dusty took the week off to see a psych to try and get Yeo out of his head.
All of our guys who've done media this week have been talking up the Yeo to Dusty as well. Yeo will be very fired up. Could end up getting suspended for some trivial BS if he gets too physical.
That's right, Yeo has recently uncovered his inner-aggro-Yeo when it comes to tackling - he tackles with full aggro intent, a mauling you could say. Needs to be careful with the process, or buggar the free kicks and go for maximum damage and perceived pressure!
I wonder if Dusty has been working on counter-attacking Yeo? Will a fresh Dusty maul Yeo?
This Tigers team have been doing well recently so I wouldn't dismiss them lightly-although not sure the quality of their recent encounters?

Since so many of us are interested in stopping Dustin Martin, this might be a good read:

Going back to the start of the Tigers win streak, Dusty has been averaging just 2 tackles per game. Given some of those have been in wet slog conditions, it appears he's a front runner. No great surprise I guess. If he doesn't like the dirty stuff he'll be in for a rude surprise when Yeo makes him eat grass all day.

I am so tempted to throw $$ on us. $2.54? That’s a bit juicy.

I just have this feeling we are going to win....hope like hell I am right 🤞

Those odds are ridiculous practically every other game besides Hawks vs GC has very close odds, ours are one of the worst. Not sure why? We haven’t lost at the MCG or in Melbourne for 2 years and sit above Richmond so surely you’d think they’d be a little closer..

That's right, Yeo has recently uncovered his inner-aggro-Yeo when it comes to tackling - he tackles with full aggro intent, a mauling you could say. Needs to be careful with the process, or buggar the free kicks and go for maximum damage and perceived pressure!
I wonder if Dusty has been working on counter-attacking Yeo? Will a fresh Dusty maul Yeo?
This Tigers team have been doing well recently so I wouldn't dismiss them lightly-although not sure the quality of their recent encounters?
Yeo has this season graduated from the Neo Naitanui School of Tackling with honours.

I think we're too tall.

Should give JK a spell and put in another mid
It's been tempting at times this year, but I came to the conclusion that we need JK's experience and presence. He still at least draws multiple defenders (giving Darling space), marshals our fairly inexperienced forward-line and halves the contest to give our smalls a look; especially important qualities at the MCG against a contender. We saw what he could do against the under-sized North defense (only 2 KPDs).

With the pre-finals bye, I doubt we'll go resting players unless there are injury concerns...

It's been tempting at times this year, but I came to the conclusion that we need JK's experience and presence. He still at least draws multiple defenders (giving Darling space), marshals our fairly inexperienced forward-line and halves the contest to give our smalls a look; especially important qualities at the MCG against a contender. We saw what he could do against the under-sized North defense (only 2 KPDs).

With the pre-finals bye, I doubt we'll go resting players unless there are injury concerns...
Precisely, Mr. Jiggyman!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming Geelong beat Carlton and Richmond beat Brisbane tomorrow looms as either win and get top 2 or lose and probably finish 3rd. Very big game now on top of that it was already.
Next week is no given.

Hawthorn will likely be in the situation of...
win and finish 7th or 8th and play finals; or
lose and miss out.
So they will be desperate and up for it.

There are so many permutations (including the dogs winning both and Hawks miss even if they win both) that we are unlikely to know the final mix until next Sunday. The problem is that we will play on the Saturday so the Hawks chances will still be alive. (Unless they lose to GC of courseo_O)

If we win both our games, top 2 is guaranteed.

Lose 1, and we need Brisbane to lose their last game and make up 100 pts on Brisbane to get the percentage (e.g. Tigers beat us by 10pts, Lions lose final game by 40, so we have to beat hawks by 50. But we can't let Tigers get 50 points on us over last 2 games) OR Cats have to lose to Blues.

With the percentage situation of the top 4 and our trend of not putting teams away, we're unlikely to make up any significant percentage against the hawks. Expecting us to finish 4th & play Geelong at the MCG in first week of finals, which I'm quite confident of winning.

If we win both our games, top 2 is guaranteed.

Lose 1, and we need Brisbane to lose their last game and make up 100 pts on Brisbane to get the percentage (e.g. Tigers beat us by 10pts, Lions lose final game by 40, so we have to beat hawks by 50. But we can't let Tigers get 50 points on us over last 2 games) OR Cats have to lose to Blues.

With the percentage situation of the top 4 and our trend of not putting teams away, we're unlikely to make up any significant percentage against the hawks. Expecting us to finish 4th & play Geelong at the MCG in first week of finals, which I'm quite confident of winning.
I'd be ok with holding 3rd and travelling to Brisbane in week 1.

I'd be ok with holding 3rd and travelling to Brisbane in week 1.
Without you tearing me to pieces with your superior intellect and savvy posting style Gunnar, I fully agree with you.

How good were the Cats at the end of the day?
How good are the Lions really? How good were they beating the Cats, at the Gabba, by 1 point?
Is it really as amazing or concerning as it seems?
Can the Lions beat Tigers?
Can we beat the Lions?
They 'are' playing like a team with nothing to lose and everything to win!
They lost to Pies, Dogs and Dons..

Last edited:
How good were the Cats at the end of the day?
How good are the Lions really? How good were they beating the Cats, at the Gabba, by 1 point?
Is it as really as amazing or concerning as it seems?
Can the Lions beat Tigers?
Can we beat the Lions?
They 'are' playing like a team with nothing to lose and everything to win!
They lost to Pies, Dogs and Dons..
I'm not concerned by today's result beyond the fact it makes it harder for us to get top 2 in the event we lose to Richmond.

If we get Naitanui back for finals, he will slaughter every ruckman bar Grundy. Even Martin gave Geelong's rucks a bath. What are they going to do against the Titan of Braavos? He'll be giftwrapping it with a little pink bow for Shuey.

If we're going to get Geelong/Richmond, I'd rather we get them in Perth in a PF. And it's no disrespect to Brisbane to say they're my preferred GF opponent. Neutral territory.

So my ideal sequence is:

Week 1 QF in Perth v whoever ... win
Week 2 rest
Week 3 PF in Perth v Victorian challenger ... win
Week 4 GF in Melbourne v non-Victorian challenger ... win

So I'm kinda hoping Brisbane and us finish top 2 and win two finals at home before meeting in the GF.

In short, let's beat Richmond.

Last edited:
I'm not concerned by today's result beyond the fact it makes it harder for us to get top 2 in the event we lose to Richmond.

If we get Naitanui back for finals, he will slaughter every ruckman bar Grundy. Even Martin gave Geelong's rucks a bath. What are they going to do against the Titan of Braavos? He'll be giftwrapping it with a little pink bow for Shuey.

If we're going to get Geelong/Richmond, I'd rather we get them in Perth in a PF. And it's no disrespect to Brisbane to say they're my preferred GF opponent. Neutral territory.

So my ideal sequence is:

Week 1 QF in Perth v whoever ... win
Week 2 rest
Week 3 PF in Perth v Victorian challenger ... win
Week 4 GF in Melbourne v non-Victorian challenger ... win

So I'm kinda hoping Brisbane and us finish top 2 and win two finals at home before meeting in the GF.

In short, let's beat Richmond.
That's a nice wish list...but I reckon I'll just take it as it comes. NN can do some damage no doubt and will be chomping at the bit to do just that, but he's such a wildcard with his legs, anything could happen-so I wont put my hopes on him, will just let that unfold as it will. My only concern is if he comes back in and plays in a final and goes down again-we're one down on the bench in a crucial game!? Unlikely sure.

We can win without him, but he's a bloody sweet cherry/wrecking ball to have on top of the cake!
The question still remains how good are Brisbane really?

Melbourne weather so far is sunny and beautiful. Not sure what will happen in few hours time but if this weather holds up, we are set for some game of footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back