Prediction Changes vs Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Mitchell didn’t have his best game on Saturday and although Hutchings contributed to that- I think it was a collective effort from our midfield rather than a large tag.

Hutchings is lucky this week to stay, but he was unlucky earlier in the year to be dropped. In all probability he won’t stay in the side when when Ryan, DV & Masto are fully fit anyway, but his attitude is always first class. Dropping him this week won’t change that I don’t think.

I think it probably comes down to us getting more out of sending a message to Sheed he needs to lift in areas he has dropped off on. Whether that is injury related I suppose will become evident after the bye.

As for Nelson, he’s been pretty good defensively this year. He’s given us consistent effort & he’s capable of playing his role which the MC obviously trust.

I’d rather see us developing a Cripps into a tagger or playing arch as a defensive mid that can take the bigger mids. Don’t think we should be tagging every week and I’d rather see a regular 22 player being able to do it needed.

Getting caught HTB for Dumb Sheed seems the norm. I think it is his footy IQ that is holding him back (oh - and also the fact that he cannot operate on his right side for anything).
Disagree. His right foot is amazing but he only tend to use it when he’s in form. Must be a complete confidence thing. Also think he’s been working with Mitchell in the offseason and looks like they want him to take the game on a bit but it does look really bad when it doesn’t work out. It actually worked out well earlier in the season where he continuously broke out of big tackles or was able to buy time buy bit of time through traffic. This week would have been a great week for him to get back into form against a shitty opponent.

Getting caught HTB for Dumb Sheed seems the norm. I think it is his footy IQ that is holding him back (oh - and also the fact that he cannot operate on his right side for anything).
giphy.gif

Gonna give him the benefit of the doubt because it was his first game but I just saw Bubbas first game and his disposal was pure trash and it made hutch and sheed look like they were Pendlebury and shuey.

Hopefully he’s been working on his disposal since then.
I watched some of the u/18s last year and although Ainsworth stood out in getting the ball it wasn't effective because he nearly always gave it straight back to the opposition. I was very surprised WC picked him up considering his poor disposal. I am not holding my breath on it improving in a hurry but we all live in hope.

I watched some of the u/18s last year and although Ainsworth stood out in getting the ball it wasn't effective because he nearly always gave it straight back to the opposition. I was very surprised WC picked him up considering his poor disposal. I am not holding my breath on it improving in a hurry.
Hopefully he will work on it and fix it He’ll probably end up as Hutching type in the future or take over from redden.

Looks like we need to draft a few outside mids this draft.

Hopefully he will work on it and fix it He’ll probably end up as Hutching type in the future or take over from redden.

Looks like we need to draft a few outside mids this draft.
Some posters on here, one in particular, would say that it can't be fixed. Ainsworth's disposal is not just average it's decidedly below average. I reckon if he reached Redden's standard he'd be doing well. Currently he makes Priddis look like a gun kicker. Maybe they want him to work on his handball. As I said, stunned they picked him.

Wow, harsh...discounting all the times he's been good of course, and kicked some clutch goals.
As a Lark Medalist and a first round draft pick, I had hoped he would be an A grader.

My comments on him are against an A Grade standard so yes - I might be judging him a bit harsh. He is usually a good solid player. I should have said what is holding him back going the next level is his lack of right sidedness and his footy IQ is at times very frustrating.

Some posters on here, one in particular, would say that it can't be fixed. Ainsworth's disposal is not just average it's decidedly below average. I reckon if he reached Redden's standard he'd be doing well. Currently he makes Priddis look like a gun kicker. Maybe they want him to work on his handball. As I said, stunned they picked him.
His kicking in the GWS game was atrocious. Let's hope the nerves were a factor as well and it can improve over the coming years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched some of the u/18s last year and although Ainsworth stood out in getting the ball it wasn't effective because he nearly always gave it straight back to the opposition. I was very surprised WC picked him up considering his poor disposal. I am not holding my breath on it improving in a hurry but we all live in hope.
Agree on his kicking not being overly accurate. Where Ainsworth excelled in the U18 carnival was in his first ball get. A blue collar inside mid that will get the hard ball and then handpass it out. If he can be coached to get the ball and then a handpass to a target running passed, then he will be excellent. If he believes he is a decent kick, then we will be in trouble.

Really?

I reckon you are always a better chance trying to teach someone who can go and get the footy to use it better than trying to teach a neat ball user how to go about finding their own ball.

Massive step up for a young bloke to play against men at AFL level so I am prepared to cut him some slack. He has had a taste and now has an idea where the bar is set. Impatience level around here is astounding at times.

As a Lark Medalist and a first round draft pick, I had hoped he would be an A grader.

My comments on him are against an A Grade standard so yes - I might be judging him a bit harsh. He is usually a good solid player. I should have said what is holding him back going the next level is his lack of right sidedness and his footy IQ is at times very frustrating.
He can kick well on his right side and did so in early games but it seems now, for some reason he tries to work back on to his left....doesn’t always work

I reckon you are always a better chance trying to teach someone who can go and get the footy to use it better than trying to teach a neat ball user how to go about finding their own ball.

Massive step up for a young bloke to play against men at AFL level so I am prepared to cut him some slack. He has had a taste and now has an idea where the bar is set. Impatience level around here is astounding at times.
I watched some under 18s as well and Ainsworth handballed well. He rarely kicked and if he did, it was a short easy kick. He looks too rushed at the moment and I reckon it’s mainly nerves or considering too many options and complicating his game. Gets the ball though

Jetta's plays a lot better at HBF. When he was playing wing 1st season after recruited from Swan he drifted in and out of the game-long period without a possession- very frustrating.
But when he moved to half back he was more damaging with his ball movement and was more involved in the game - more possessions.
Put Hutch on the wing. He would be a better option - has good endurance to be the link player and hopefully lay more tackles.

His kicking in the GWS game was atrocious. Let's hope the nerves were a factor as well and it can improve over the coming years.
Agree
First game nerves & windy conditions that day in Canberra.
Like to see how he goes after few more games under his belt. Has to get used to the pace from WAFL to AFL.
Good to see him getting in and under for the ball in his first game and has a tank. That's a big plus for him.

P
He can kick well on his right side and did so in early games but it seems now, for some reason he tries to work back on to his left....doesn’t always work
purely confidence thing. Remember that clutch right foot snap v Geelong when he had a very good game.

Last few years has shown Nelson has definitely been pencilled as someone who will be given selection preference over others.

He started to improve before he got dropped so hopefully he goes straight back to that level tomorrow night.

Played around 40 games now so has well and truly been blooded, and arguably been overtaken by Slow Cole

Remove this Banner Ad

Back