Moved Thread Channel 7 Commentary is unwatchable - A alternative suggestion

Remove this Banner Ad

Guys like Bruce, BT, Darcy, Richo, even Dennis at times are making footy unwatchable.

Bruce and Dennis have become tired and cliched, BT was a three second gimmick and Richo and Darcy provide the lightweight fluff.

This type of "Disneyfication" of the media has been going on for a long time. They aren't interested in intelligent mature discourse, they are only concerned with manipulating emotions.

I would love a system like the NHL have where each team has their own commentators. At least then, I wont have to listen to biased Victorian s**t.

McAvaney - South Australian
Commetti - Western Australian
Taylor - - Western Australian
Richardson - Tasmanian
Darcy - Victorian (who grew up in SA)

You really need to get out of the goldfish bowl some time.

That s**t served up last night was god-awful. At least your own teams commentators should get your own teams players called right. I think we had one game last season with Commetti and McAvaney, and noone cares where BT Richo or Darcy are from because they are just shithouse.

And how shocked they were when he had played 100 games. I actually thought he would have played a lot more. Been around for a while.

Been cruelled by injuries, surprised these "experts" wouldn't have known that? It's a joke what we have to put up with. Populist rubbish.

Have never really noticed how bad the commentary has become until last night. Richo comes across as a really nice bloke but he just should not be commentating. I know we need to find post footy careers for people, and there can only be so many boundary riders (Richo's perfect job), but why oh why do we have to give full comentary responsibilities to ex players who have no idea how to communicate the action. Clearly the best commentators are non-footballers. Let them commentate.

I don't understand how these people are considered professionals in their field when they have such limited knowledge of the players. Not just for 1 or 2 teams either it's every week and when you only call one game a week you think you could take the time to learn them. Darcy comes across as smug and he and BT always just seem to point things out like the supporters or how they were bagging Geelong 2 weeks ago about not having electricity. Apparently that was funny.

Brian Taylor is the most overated sloppy commentator in the industry.

Three of many mistakes last night:

• Mixed up Winderlich with Zahrakis (yeah because they look a like :confused:)
  • When Merrett kicked a goal, BT didn't even mention who kicked the goal (I presume he didn't know who kicked it) and left it for Richo or Darcy to mention who kicked it.
  • An Eagles player was awarded a free kick and BT calls out "free kick to Essendon".
I know these are only minor things, but he does them week in week out.

And at one point, Alwyn Davey was the oldest player on the ground.

Guys like Bruce, BT, Darcy, Richo, even Dennis at times are making footy unwatchable. So many times this year I have turned the footy off just because of how shocking the commentary has been. I know I am not the only who think this, hopefully channel 7 listen to the masses and do something about it next year... I highly doubt that though.

Been thinking about this for a while... Wouldn't it be great if Foxtel Footy let us, through the RED button choose a different commentary feed to listen too.. Eg Triple M, SEN, 3AW. Whatever, anything but the flogs on Channel 7. It's impossible to do ourselves due to the time delay, but I am sure Foxtel could arrange it somehow.. I would pay extra for this!

They s**t me, but at least i can mute it.

The similarities in the playing uniforms annoyed me more. A whole lot of navy blue/black and white out there on the field last night. It's ridiculous that i need to look for a red or yellow stripe (practically the least colour on either strip and the only differentiating one between the two teams) to try and tell the difference.

and For some reason, the lighting of night games at Subiaco and Westlakes seem much darker than at other venues. makes it worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The commentary on the Foxtel Cup games is leaps and bounds ahead of the drivel 7 dish up. They just commentate the games without cliched nonsense, in-jokes, bias and they actually know the names of the players. They also get it done with one main commentator and a special comments man, not a whole set of useless knobheads who do nothing but turn the broadcast into a massive wankfest.

But then how would we get the expert analysis EVERY SINGLE WEEK of Josh Kennedy's stuttering run-up??? Do not deprive the fans of this commentary genius.
The crowd get into it too now and it must be off putting. An elaborate plan by the Victorian media? ;)

The commentary on the Foxtel Cup games is leaps and bounds ahead of the drivel 7 dish up. They just commentate the games without cliched nonsense, in-jokes, bias and they actually know the names of the players. They also get it done with one main commentator and a special comments man, not a whole set of useless knobheads who do nothing but turn the broadcast into a massive wankfest.

Channel 7 execs would be just as much to blame as the commentators. Gotta make the game "fun", "exciting", "entertaining" and "funny" to appeal to the kids and women.Don't want to bore everyone with proper analysis and calling of the game because heaven knows the game itself is not entertaining enough. That's why you get shots of Megan Gale and Twigley in the crowd and those two knobs Basil & Hamish trying to squeeze in facts about who is dating whose sister because, you know, that's more important than actually knowing who the players are and how many games they might have played let alone breaking down the coaching tactics and strategies with analysis of stats and tape (something Foxtel is vastly superior at yet could still be much much better).

I think Ch 7 need to break up their teams and mix and match a bit. Bruce and Denis every Friday night are a bit stale. BT and the Saturday Night team began to cloy about midway through last year.

BT & darce are top of the sh!t list, closely followed by basil and Hamish AFAIC!!!

I cant watch one of our best wins from last year because these two dropkicks were calling – “IMPOSSIBLE........ IS NOTHING!!!” Shut up basil you ****!~

BT & darce are top of the sh!t list, closely followed by basil and Hamish AFAIC!!!

I cant watch one of our best wins from last year because these two dropkicks were calling – “IMPOSSIBLE........ IS NOTHING!!!” Shut up basil you ****!~

I think Ch 7 need to break up their teams and mix and match a bit. Bruce and Denis every Friday night are a bit stale. BT and the Saturday Night team began to cloy about midway through last year.

Good idea but not sure they can due to other commitments like radio.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back