Universal Love Charlie ‘Chook’ Constable

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, I am. He's a 21yr old that's 8 games into his career and already looks to be a proven ball-winner, good tackler, good mark. He just needs to add some other elements to his game.

Remember we're talking about a 21yr old, not a 26yr old who should have most of his skills down pat.

To be fair I'll give you the 8 games bit but mids aren't generally that far off what they will become by 21.

Isn't one of the complaints that we already have enough defenders in the team - if the option for Constable was the back flank when not in the middle then surely that would be more complaints about trying to turn him into a defender or having too much of a defensive mindset in the team

In terms of trying to find an extra 5-10% of game time for him, I'd rather it be in the form of him going forward. At 191cm, he could be a potential damaging marking target when resting up forward, but he hasn't shown himself to be a contested marking player at this stage & not sure how he goes with that in the VFL

It's interesting, I was listening to a podcast today talking about this. The argument was Chook doesn't offer much ahead of the footy, but in seven games last year he kicked more goals (5) than Parfitt did in 20 games (4). Maybe I'm biased, but I honestly fail to see to downside of having a 191cm midfielder at the coal face for the next 10 years.

The modern game has changed so much that there's not many Joel Selwood-sized midfielders left dominating the competition. Cripps, Bont, Fyfe, they're all giants. And if I was to forecast Constable to become one of them (if given the chance) it would be Cripps. Slow as anything, doesn't kick huge amounts of goals, but good in a contest with really fast hands.

You didn't see Carlton fans calling for Cripps to learn to play off half back. Just stick him in the guts and let him do his thing.

It's interesting, I was listening to a podcast today talking about this. The argument was Chook doesn't offer much ahead of the footy, but in seven games last year he kicked more goals (5) than Parfitt did in 20 games (4). Maybe I'm biased, but I honestly fail to see to downside of having a 191cm midfielder at the coal face for the next 10 years.

The modern game has changed so much that there's not many Joel Selwood-sized midfielders left dominating the competition. Cripps, Bont, Fyfe, they're all giants. And if I was to forecast Constable to become one of them (if given the chance) it would be Cripps. Slow as anything, doesn't kick huge amounts of goals, but good in a contest with really fast hands.

You didn't see Carlton fans calling for Cripps to learn to play off half back. Just stick him in the guts and let him do his thing.
Cripps May be excellent. But Carlton is terrible. So maybe they should have developed him more. That being said - he rests up forward. Also - Bontempelli and Fyfe - giant midfielders can rest at full forward. They all have more than one string to their bow.

midfielders play all over the ground. They need to slot in to wherever they are and assist that part of the ground attack or defend. That’s all the position learning is about. And You can’t learn without actually playing in that area/team and seeing what happens in that space.

To be fair I'll give you the 8 games bit but mids aren't generally that far off what they will become by 21.
Take a look at Joel Corey, I always classed him as a big mid and compare Joel's first 7 games in his second year with Charlies 7 games in his first year to make them about the age,Charlie's figures are extraordinary, now even conceding stats never tell the full story they shouldn't be dismissed out of hand either when they are still good compared with Joel's 14 games that year ,Charlie could be anything if handled correctly,I hope it's with the Cats.

Take a look at Joel Corey, I always classed him as a big mid and compare Joel's first 7 games in his second year with Charlies 7 games in his first year to make them about the age,Charlie's figures are extraordinary, now even conceding stats never tell the full story they shouldn't be dismissed out of hand either when they are still good compared with Joel's 14 games that year ,Charlie could be anything if handled correctly,I hope it's with the Cats.

It's not just Corey though, his stats are better than any of the stars we've seen the last decade and more.

You're spot on, stats aren't the be all and end all, but when they're so good so quickly (and they are) they shouldn't be dismissed like an aberration. Especially when you consider those who get tons of chances without having shown much at all.

It's not just Corey though, his stats are better than any of the stars we've seen the last decade and more.

You're spot on, stats aren't the be all and end all, but when they're so good so quickly (and they are) they shouldn't be dismissed like an aberration. Especially when you consider those who get tons of chances without having shown much at all.
Also the game last Monday showed he can do it in all conditions as well.

Thought he was around 187cm tall but at 191cm, that's heading into key position size.
That is what Stephen Wells built his success around. A plethora of mids who stood 6ft'2+ which made us impossible to contend with during the golden era.

Well at the very least he doesn't seem to have trouble finding it. That alone is pretty good to have after 8 games.
You could mount a strong case finding the footy is probably one of those traits players either have or don't have - fitness, disposal etc can be worked on, not so much just knowing how to get the footy.

Thought he was around 187cm tall but at 191cm, that's heading into key position size.
That is what Stephen Wells built his success around. A plethora of mids who stood 6ft'2+ which made us impossible to contend with during the golden era.

Absolutely, Joel Corey at 191cm was ahead of his time.

I saw Bontempelli and Lynch go toe to toe in their last match and Bont really isn't that much shorter, which is staggering given Lynch plays as a key forward. The modern midfielders are all monsters.

I reckon Constable has the frame to compete. As as far as him resting forward, five goals from seven games last year is pretty handy for a midfielder when you consider someone like Dylan Shiel - seen as one of the league's top on-ballers - has kicked just 10 goals in his past 27 matches.

I really hope Chook stays. He'll make us regret it if we let him go.

There is just not basis on what we have seen in his junior or senior career to suggest he could be anything. The massive difference between the two players is that Corey's biggest asset is Charlie's greatest weakness and that is the ability to cover the ground. Running up and down the ground defensively is something Charlie can't do. So Corey was good in the contest and sensational outside. Charlie hasn't even shown he is great inside the contest but he has shown he ain't much chop outside.

As I have said he may develop into a good inside mid but I haven't seen anything to suggest "he could be anything"

There is just not basis on what we have seen in his junior or senior career to suggest he could be anything. The massive difference between the two players is that Corey's biggest asset is Charlie's greatest weakness and that is the ability to cover the ground. Running up and down the ground defensively is something Charlie can't do. So Corey was good in the contest and sensational outside. Charlie hasn't even shown he is great inside the contest but he has shown he ain't much chop outside.

As I have said he may develop into a good inside mid but I haven't seen anything to suggest "he could be anything"
It was said of Corey in his early years he was drafted for for being a natural ball winner and compensated for a lack of natural leg speed with his ability to read the play and a great work ethic,Corey learnt on the job,no reason Charlie can't do the same.

It was said of Corey in his early years he was drafted for for being a natural ball winner and compensated for a lack of natural leg speed with his ability to read the play and a great work ethic,Corey learnt on the job,no reason Charlie can't do the same.

Corey was always a great runner. That doesn't mean he was fast but he had reasonable speed and had enormous endurance. I don't think the same can be said of Charlie but I've been wrong before and I am certain to be wrong again. I certainly haven't written him off. I guess we will have to wait and see. I hope he becomes an outrageous super star and makes my prediction look very foolish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CC would need to show something this week or his papers may be stamped, we have Selwood, Stevens, Narkle and Cocky all to come into our side soon.

CC would need to show something this week or his papers may be stamped, we have Selwood, Stevens, Narkle and Cocky all to come into our side soon.

Except Selwood and Steven have relatively little time left I reckon........ can see Selwood hitting the wall hard and suddenly, and Steven is an unknown, even to himself probably.

The leg speed of Joel Corey and Charlie Constable is light years apart.
I think comparing him to Joel Corey isn't a great fit and even if it was it's fairly premature

The leg speed of Joel Corey and Charlie Constable is light years apart.
I think comparing him to Joel Corey isn't a great fit and even if it was it's fairly premature

Comparing a 25 year old player in his 8th season with 150 games under his belt using that video is not a great fit either I would rather see something from 2000 or 2001.

Not good enough that a midfielder that has played 8 games isn't as good as Joel Corey in his prime.
I think the Corey 8 game principle should be applied to all draftees now.
It's a bit tough but more than fair.
If after 50 games they're not as good as Hayden Bunton snr in full flight we should probably delist unless constantly injured.

Unfortunately there's a group here that blindly accept everything the coaching staff do. Unwilling to challenge any decision. Just a pack of sycophantic disciples. Constable has showed far more than Corey did over the early seasons though he's had the benefit of being surrounded by the likes of Selwood and Dangerfield to help his education. Unfortunately I feel we have nearly wasted an even larger opportunity for him to play significant senior footy with them too to fast track his development even more.

Unfortunately there's a group here that blindly accept everything the coaching staff do. Unwilling to challenge any decision. Just a pack of sycophantic disciples. Constable has showed far more than Corey did over the early seasons though he's had the benefit of being surrounded by the likes of Selwood and Dangerfield to help his education. Unfortunately I feel we have nearly wasted an even larger opportunity for him to play significant senior footy with them too to fast track his development even more.

Pretty much. Putting the clip up from the 2007 Prelim is a perfect example. Corey was in his eighth season of senior football, and that was his 150th senior game. Fair to say he would always look better than anyone after 8 games. He also took a long time to develop, and was a rotten kick for a long time before it all clicked.

And who said Constable was being compared to Corey anyway? All that has been said - and I've said it - is that his output compares extremely well to all other midfielders we've had in the last twenty years. Which it does. It does not mean he's exactly like Corey or Bartel or Ablett. I can't think of one midfielder we had who I think is a like for like. They were all different. To each other and him.

Because things get twisted, it bears repeating again - I think he deserves more opportunities, but after eight games I have no idea how good or bad he'll be. This is for the "but you said he'd be a star!!!" gibberish that is sure to surface at some point. I also think after last week it's good that he gets another game, because he looked quite comfortable at the level. That is another thing that once would have been considered a positive.

Not good enough that a midfielder that has played 8 games isn't as good as Joel Corey in his prime.
I think the Corey 8 game principle should be applied to all draftees now.
It's a bit tough but more than fair.
If after 50 games they're not as good as Hayden Bunton snr in full flight we should probably delist unless constantly injured.

Nup, screw those who get injured. Toughen up draftees.

The Bunton analogy is even better - unless they win the Brownlow in each of their first two seasons - they're gone.

Mercy is for the week.

Pretty much. Putting the clip up from the 2007 Prelim is a perfect example. Corey was in his eighth season of senior football, and that was his 150th senior game. Fair to say he would always look better than anyone after 8 games. He also took a long time to develop, and was a rotten kick for a long time before it all clicked.

And who said Constable was being compared to Corey anyway? All that has been said - and I've said it - is that his output compares extremely well to all other midfielders we've had in the last twenty years. Which it does. It does not mean he's exactly like Corey or Bartel or Ablett. I can't think of one midfielder we had who I think is a like for like. They were all different. To each other and him.

Because things get twisted, it bears repeating again - I think he deserves more opportunities, but after eight games I have no idea how good or bad he'll be. This is for the "but you said he'd be a star!!!" gibberish that is sure to surface at some point. I also think after last week it's good that he gets another game, because he looked quite comfortable at the level. That is another thing that once would have been considered a positive.
The clip is specifically relating to leg speed and nothing else. I didn't represent it any other way. It's to point out that just because they're both the same size, does not mean they're working with the same tool kit.

I wouldn't say coaching staff is wrong or right with not playing him and giving him more opportunities. I'd only push back on the idea that he is a like for like for anyone we've had (as you've said in the post above).

Output is somewhat skewed as well for new players coming into the game when being compared to some of the golden generation we had. Disposals per game have risen from 312 per game in 2000, to 371 per game in 2019.

Best we can do is look at the influence he has on the games with our own eyes and compare him relative to his peers right now I think. I'm not a huge fan but if you're looking for positives there are plenty to look at. One positive is that we are winning consistently with him in the side. Sometimes what a player provides can be as simple as a fantastic awareness of what's happening in the contest around them, and how they can positively influence it. It actually seems to me from the eye test that he has this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back