Player Watch Charlie Dixon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kane Cornes not convinced we could fit him in the cap.

Kane Cornes doesn't do our contracts.
Kane Cornes probably reads that we are paying over 100% and figures this means we have no cap room, but probably forgets the rules about why we get to pay over the cap this year, and what would happen to that extra money if we didn't use it this year.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-04/equalisation-changes-explained
A NEW TPP BANKING MECHANISM

Was: Clubs had to pay between 95 and 100 per cent of salary cap each season. Clubs often prepaid players, which sometimes created problems down the track if predicted success did not happen, removing flexibility.

Will be: The introduction of a new TPP banking mechanism that allows clubs to spend over 100 per cent of the TPP and ASA limits (combined limit), if in any of the preceding two years the club spent below 100 per cent of the combined limit.

The permitted amount of overspend is commensurate with the level of underspend in the relevant preceding period.

For instance, if a club was $500k below the combined limit in 2015, it can spend up to $500k over the combined limits across 2016 and 2017

The overspend amount in any given year permits a club to spend up to a maximum of 105 per cent of the combined limit in that year.

This mechanism is effective from season 2015 (as such any underspends in 2013 and/or 2014 can be recovered in 2015)

So because we paid under over the past couple years we had extra money we could spend this year. If the club was smart they used it to frontload contract. Ie - lets hope Robbie is getting a s**t load in 2015 and it drops off a little in 2016 onwards.

I keep saying it, but us being over the cap this year doesn't mean we are screwed with the cap, it just means we spent under in past years.

Kane Cornes probably reads that we are paying over 100% and figures this means we have no cap room, but probably forgets the rules about why we get to pay over the cap this year, and what would happen to that extra money if we didn't use it this year.
Kane Cornes maybe forgets that he and probably Butcher coming off the list will free up minimum 400k, possibly much more. A bit of shuffling and he'd fit, just.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-04/equalisation-changes-explained

So because we paid under over the past couple years we had extra money we could spend this year. If the club was smart they used it to frontload contract. Ie - lets hope Robbie is getting a s**t load in 2015 and it drops off a little in 2016 onwards.

I keep saying it, but us being over the cap this year doesn't mean we are screwed with the cap, it just means we spent under in past years.

It works both ways. There is no reason we didn't backload some contracts too. There is no transparency on this.

Kane Cornes not convinced we could fit him in the cap.

Where has this rumour come from?

We're shedding Kane's wage, Butcher's wage, Carlile moves onto the veterans list and Boak/Gray/Westhoff move onto the veterans list in 2017 giving us wiggle room with front and backending of future deals there.

Monfries is also coming into the last year of his four-year deal, and shy of a big renaissance he'll either be gone or negotiating a cheaper deal to stay on - again giving us more front/backend wiggle room in general.

Playing devils advocate on sam however; after some research he has been extremely accurate at more coaching movements/general all round club news and signings then actual player movements

It works both ways. There is no reason we didn't backload some contracts too. There is no transparency on this.

Exactly correct. It's why people running around all chicken little about our cap shouldn't. None of us (or probably the media) know the true situation.

Didn't think there was much chance of this but you never know. Could understand an SA boy wanting to come home but he's from Cairns and I would have thought Gold Coast would be moving heaven and earth to get him to stay. Unless this is just a ploy like Scott Camporeale used to do at Carlton in his playing days. Every time his contract came up the media got wind of a rumour that he was thinking of leaving.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're shedding Kane's wage, Butcher's wage, Carlile moves onto the veterans list and Boak/Gray/Westhoff move onto the veterans list in 2017 giving us wiggle room with front and backending of future deals there.

Monfries is also coming into the last year of his four-year deal, and shy of a big renaissance he'll either be gone or negotiating a cheaper deal to stay on - again giving us more front/backend wiggle room in general.

This rumour reaks of coming out of Victoria. It's only meant to be Hawthorn, Geelong, Collingwood and Sydney who can snare big fish out of contract. I have no doubt we can afford Dixon and keep everyone else. We aren't a backwards club so now the rest of the AFL is on notice. Pulling the trade off is going to be hard if the rumour is true but Dixon up forward gives us a key position forward for possibly 10 years and he has games under his belt.

'Scoop' MacLure on 3AW. I was listening when he said it, and it's just been published on their website, using 'looming' as their get-out word.

We have been openly quoted as one of the 3 or 4 clubs who are into Dixon, and MacLure does not usually go wild with his insights.

Sam McClure's strike rate isn't great, so I take it with a grain of salt, but hell it would be a great pickup if we can land him.

I'd trade Lobbe for him.

Sam McClure's strike rate isn't great, so I take it with a grain of salt, but hell it would be a great pickup if we can land him.

I'd trade Lobbe for him.

Who is mathius looby?

Lobbe would say no. It would be our 1st this and next year maybe? Then finding maybe 750k in the cap at a guess? Just on other offers mentioned.

We lost 2 wickets while I typed this.

id be happy with that trade.

lol so would every port fan, I hope this post wasn't actually "that seems reasonable." and more "lol that would be highway robbery, of course i'd do it."

2dc5w0k.jpg

'Scoop' MacLure on 3AW. I was listening when he said it, and it's just been published on their website, using 'looming' as their get-out word.

We have been openly quoted as one of the 3 or 4 clubs who are into Dixon, and MacLure does not usually go wild with his insights.

I meant the populist sentiment that we're edging on capjaculation m8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back