Chess Chess - BigFooty chess club Tournaments on Chess.com (PRIZES!)

Remove this Banner Ad

A loss to CursingFijian

Well played mate. I’ll have to control those rushes of blood to the head next time.

Yes. I had to review that move several times! Did he just put his queen in front of my knight? It sure looks like it. Surely I’m missing something. It’s gotta be a trap. I’m such a sucker for queen sacrifices. Should I just take it. I’m gonna take it.

Our usual 2.30pm 1 minute Wednesday tournament is in the following link:

Chipmunk I think I should be in 6th place after losing to Cursing Fijian. I think you may have missed my win against Ciretose on the ladder.

Ah, thanks for flagging and will update now! Congrats!

Crankitup grumbleguts MWPP

I have reallocated you in the ladder as active members. Please make your challenges using your revised positions.
Thanks, sorry about our game. I have a badly infected foot (antibiotics) which has caused me to have only a couple of hours sleep since Friday. On move 14 I had already committed to sacrificing the rook (and the initial fork) to take H3 with the bishop. Which would have left your king naked, but then thought I had overextended and brought things back, but I had committed too much to that before I pulled out. So I should have just continued with it.

Thanks, sorry about our game. I have a badly infected foot (antibiotics) which has caused me to have only a couple of hours sleep since Friday. On move 14 I had already committed to sacrificing the rook (and the initial fork) to take H3 with the bishop. Which would have left your king naked, but then thought I had overextended and brought things back, but I had committed too much to that before I pulled out. So I should have just continued with it.

That’s okay (and that’s horrible with your foot, I hope it heals up soon!).

I did see the sac on h3 but I was going to go Qf3 and not take the bishop. I think I then get to you before you get to me.

Very happy to have a rematch anytime. I tagged you in the other threads, I’d like you to sign up for our club match (2 3 day-a-move games, entry closes today) and/or the chess AFL (where Hawkage would value you on the Hawks team; it’s 1 10min game a week, entry closes Sunday).

That’s okay (and that’s horrible with your foot, I hope it heals up soon!).

I did see the sac on h3 but I was going to go Qf3 and not take the bishop. I think I then get to you before you get to me.

Very happy to have a rematch anytime. I tagged you in the other threads, I’d like you to sign up for our club match (2 3 day-a-move games, entry closes today) and/or the chess AFL (where Hawkage would value you on the Hawks team; it’s 1 10min game a week, entry closes Sunday).
Yes, which is why I didn't commit, but I had gone too far down the rabbit hole to see it. and typically, when the knight takes the rook (which is ALWAYS a uncommitted rook) it rarely gets out alive so it typically isn't a massive sac, as it usually works out (with the bishop untaken) as an unmoved rook for a pawn and very developed knight and an open H file. Not bad for the net cost of a pawn. But I had over committed before developing my king's side. Then abandoned it, which I should never do unless there is a pending mate threat.

Yes, which is why I didn't commit, but I had gone too far down the rabbit hole to see it. and typically, when the knight takes the rook (which is ALWAYS a uncommitted rook) it rarely gets out alive so it typically isn't a massive sac, as it usually works out (with the bishop untaken) as an unmoved rook for a pawn and very developed knight and an open H file. Not bad for the net cost of a pawn. But I had over committed before developing my king's side. Then abandoned it, which I should never do unless there is a pending mate threat.

Haha yeah I’ve done that plenty of times, thinking i could survive a horrible endgame rather than going all in. Even worse is hedging your bets by attacking on both sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha yeah I’ve done that plenty of times, thinking i could survive a horrible endgame rather than going all in. Even worse is hedging your bets by attacking on both sides.
On the queen side king-rook knight-fork Kasparov vs the world, he took the rook, and then immediately took the pawn on A3 sacrificing the knight. He said afterwards, entire games can be wasted trying to save the knight after it has taken the rook, better to just kill it, take a pawn and continue the game. You knight though, was in a position to link with its fellow knight, which could have presented a danger. What an outpost. Two knights linked there.

1 MINUTE (SUPER QUICK) TOURNAMENT - 2.30PM (JOIN FROM 1.30PM)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back