Asia China's growing influence

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick question...
Is yelling from the rooftops "CHINA WENT NEAR OUR SECRET MILITARY FACILITY" giving away the location of our secret military facility?

You should consider military facilities secret like Pine Gap is secret in that everyone knows where it is and what it does but not specifically what is going on inside.

You should consider military facilities secret like Pine Gap is secret in that everyone knows where it is and what it does but not specifically what is going on inside.

Dunno about that Taylor, I reckon they're secret so that they aren't the first things bombed when China invades.

They are designed to withstand the bombing but everyone in those circles knows where they are.

That is true, but only to the extent that everyone who knows has the capability to know. There is a whole cohort of baddies who don't have the capability to know and broadcasting it just gives them a leg up, doesn't it?

That is true, but only to the extent that everyone who knows has the capability to know. There is a whole cohort of baddies who don't have the capability to know and broadcasting it just gives them a leg up, doesn't it?
No because the departments that care about this stuff already know and aren't getting lucky reading a news article.

Social media provides more useful information currently in regards to sensitive information gathering than conventional media.

Just watched an exceptional presentation from a china expert who i very much respect who is now declaring china the growth engine is dead. its 30 year economic reign is over. its covid zero policy has killed it and it may average near zero growth for the next five years if it doesnt get rid of zero covid quickly and thats looking less likely by the day. All the foreign investors are planning on leaving in droves. China might not be open for quarantine free travel for 5 years.

xi has completely turned china away from the free market ideology of deng. Zero covid is just the final nail. unfortunately xi has just accumulated to much power to be stopped.

Last edited:
Just watched an exceptional presentation from a china expert who i very much respect who is now declaring china the growth engine is dead. its 30 year economic reign is over. its covid zero policy has killed it and it may average near zero growth for the next five years if it doesnt get rid of zero covid quickly and thats looking less likely by the day. All the foreign investors are planning on leaving in droves. China might not be open for quarantine free travel for 5 years.

xi has completely turned china away from the free market ideology of deng. Zero covid is just the final nail. unfortunately xi has just accumulated to much power to be stopped.
Watching a YouTube video the other day mentions Xi falling into the dictators trap and becoming an megalomaniac. He has no concerns for his people or economy but more concerned about control and greatness of his reign, much like Vlad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. Not the soft lockdown of Melbourne either. Full on locked in your apartment 24/7 lockdown with multiple covid tests every day and little ability to choose what food you eat.

I can’t even fathom how this is still allowed. The world is cooked.

There is a little thing like a world war going on right now. I don't think the Chinese give a hoot about investors leaving. There is a much bigger game a foot.
If it does not make sense to you or anyone why they are pursuing zero covid - maybe they aren't pursuing zero covid at all. The zero-covid policies maybe serving an entirely different purpose.

Look at the volume of commodity reserves China has and continues to amass.

The Chines are playing GO
The Russians are Playing CHESS
Our boys are playing TEXAS NO_LIMIT POKER

There is a little thing like a world war going on right now. I don't think the Chinese give a hoot about investors leaving. There is a much bigger game a foot.
If it does not make sense to you or anyone why they are pursuing zero covid - maybe they aren't pursuing zero covid at all. The zero-covid policies maybe serving an entirely different purpose.

I’m insanely intrigued in what you mean by the bold text and what your thoughts are.

I’m insanely intrigued in what you mean by the bold text and what your thoughts are.
There is a book called: The Great Game: The Struggle for Empire in Central Asia
It's not a great book, the writing is not special, its merely a vague outline of the geopolitical contest between the British Empire and the Russian Empire from late in the 18th century until the 1st world war. But its' a book that has attracted many admirers because it reveals how great powers think and how they act to preserve and progress their advantage on a global scale. It's the politics where small countries become strategic weapons or sacrificial pawns used by bigger powers that may sometimes explain the events that otherwise might not make sense.

As to the different games like GO, CHESS, POKER - I think they might shed some light on the respective psychological style of the main political powers today: China, Russia, USA. I believe their most popular games reveal something of their character and default way of presenting themselves. I'm not suggesting any game or approach is superior to the other only that there are differences. For example POKER is a game where posturing and confidence is important - there is some of that in CHESS but because of the sheer complexity of GO - there is little posturing that goes on. You can of course take this too far, but I think it is generally accepted that the US diplomatic manner includes an element of bluff and confidence that is not generally as obvious in Chinese and Russian diplomats.

GO is a game that is incredibly complex, it takes a long time to detect who might be winning - I think we can confidently say that GO contests will never become popular TV shows like Poker. Like the game go, Chinese diplomacy can be inscrutable - you are never sure what they really intend. Pieces are positioned strategically in long sequences and nothing seems of any importance until near the end of the game when all those insignificant buttons suddenly become key. There is no bluffing here - small mistakes can be fatal - so its important to always stay alert.

CHESS shares many of the features of GO - not as complex - but CHESS is much more overtly confrontational from beginning to end You can lose a game of chess in 3 moves. You are always attacking and defending - very earl on pieces are won and lost. it's not as complex as GO but its complex enough. A game of GO has hardly begun until players have each made 20 odd moves. Chess is a battle from the beginning.

You get the general idea.

Just imagine your reaction if the west was playing such a game? but the west believe people are individuals. Not chess pieces.

its the reason you are posting here and not scrubbing military toilets in some desert camp.

Just imagine your reaction if the west was playing such a game? but the west believe people are individuals. Not chess pieces.

its the reason you are posting here and not scrubbing military toilets in some desert camp.
Surely, If the Russians see people as chess pieces, the Chinese see people as GO Buttons, the West must see people as Playing Cards

Remove this Banner Ad

Back