Chris Fagan Extends Until 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Its certainly not a conversation for today, but I've often wondered how our next senior coach appointment will transpire and whether there'll be a succession plan, although with who I'd have no idea. To me at least, Fagan seems the type of guy that will know when its time to retire or if he is past it.

I'd kind of assumed Daly in the best, but his sideways movement surprised me. I'm not sure if that takes him completely out of the picture though.

Its certainly not a conversation for today, but I've often wondered how our next senior coach appointment will transpire and whether there'll be a succession plan, although with who I'd have no idea. To me at least, Fagan seems the type of guy that will know when its time to retire or if he is past it.

To be honest, it's actually going to be really mighty interesting to see who we bring or choose to be our next coach for the club after Fagan does retire in the future.

Even though I wished Fagan could coach our team forever given how amazing he has been over the 5 years, I know that nothing lasts forever and we will need to find a suitable replacement when it is time for Fagan to retire if that's in 2 years time from now or sometime else in the future otherwise we will fall down the ladder like those past times with Voss & Leppitsch after Matthews retired.

Let's say he does retire at the end of the 2023 season for example, do we look for coaches who have head coaching roles currently from other clubs who has had that premiership experience before (Clarkson, C.Scott, Beveridge, Longmire), former head coaches with head coaching experience with relative average/good results (Pyke, Lyon, B.Scott, Richardson), assistant coaches or other positions from our club (Daly, Stone, Tapping, Davis), a first time coach with assistant coaching or other positions experience like Fagan was (Giansiracusa, Kingsley, Jennings, Yze, Caracella) or do we go for someone outside of the box (Hodge, Power, B.Harvey, Roughead, Cox)

If we did go the route of either someone from our club, an assistant coach from another club or someone outside the box to replace Fagan, I would love Fages to still be part of our club, by being a director of coaching to help the first-time coach out on game-day tactics and all that, as well as to continue the on-field/off-field culture & standards he has created at our club since he first got here for a couple of years at least.

However, it wouldn't surprise me at all that if Tassie does get a club in the distant future (5-10 years), the AFL will try to get Fages to become the inaugural head coach or a director of coaching role over at Tasmania similar to how Kevin Sheedy was given the position at GWS for a couple of years so build the tactics/culture over there.

But I'm glad we don't have to worry about that dilemma for at least another two years now. :cool:

interesting people think Fagan as older might look to retire. Where Clarko goes on and on.
I probably say some coaches go on too long.. Once we done another threepeat might be good to go out on top.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back