Universal Love Chris Mayne

Remove this Banner Ad

MB- I don’t know anything about how TPP works
If we (hypothetically) owe Mayne 1.5m over the next 3 years, are we allowed to pay him, for example, 850k next year and 650k the following if the $ fits in the cap thus allowing us to delist after 3 years not 4

Yes as long as we don’t go over the cap. That’s why people are suggesting we front load him as much as possible, hopefully that already happened to some extent last season too but I wouldn’t bet on that.

MB- I don’t know anything about how TPP works
If we (hypothetically) owe Mayne 1.5m over the next 3 years, are we allowed to pay him, for example, 850k next year and 650k the following if the $ fits in the cap thus allowing us to delist after 3 years not 4

I would think so. The precise annual amount would have to be negotiated with the player if it's a mutual parting of the ways, I think, but if we just delist his arse, he gets what each subsequent year of the contract stipulates...(?)

It just has to fit into the cap, one way or the other (the Buddy precedent). Which is why, given all the pieces have been moved into place to chase Lynch, I think they will come down on the side of 'it's cheaper to keep him' on the issue of Mayne...

Yes as long as we don’t go over the cap. That’s why people are suggesting we front load him as much as possible, hopefully that already happened to some extent last season too but I wouldn’t bet on that.
You don’t think so? I think we would have plenty of capacity with Sean and Clokes salaries in particular coming off. Not to mention the retirements on Johnson, Toovey. It’s probably one of the reasons they were ok to pay overs in Wells and Mayne. They may have been $2.5m if cap space from those 4 not playing on. I’d hope a couple of million was used to front load the 2.

You don’t think so? I think we would have plenty of capacity with Sean and Clokes salaries in particular coming off. Not to mention the retirements on Johnson, Toovey. It’s probably one of the reasons they were ok to pay overs in Wells and Mayne. They may have been $2.5m if cap space from those 4 not playing on. I’d hope a couple of million was used to front load the 2.

I think we have room, but I reckon we'll look to go closer to 95% of the cap this year so we have room to spend more next year to make a play at Lynch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To his manager by all accounts

Whatever went on during that trade period should be investigated in full by the club & if anything untoward is proven, then it should be passed on to the AFL.
No way would any reasonable list manager give Chris Mayne a 4 year deal on good money even if he was 21.
The whole deal seems about as dodgy as one can get.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...e/news-story/fd763599785fffb824c7d9f161ec79fa
Neil Balme says Nathan Buckley not ‘totally’ to blame for recruiting Chris Mayne
Al Paton, Herald Sun
November 10, 2017 2:05pm
Subscriber only
COLLINGWOOD coach Nathan Buckley is not ‘totally’ to blame for the Magpies’ decision to sign Chris Mayne on a $2 million, four-year contract, former footy boss Neil Balme says.

Balme has shed some light on the Magpies’ controversial decision to recruit the Fremantle forward as a free agent 12 months ago. Mayne played just three games, spending most of the season in the VFL.

KANGAROO ATTACK: ‘LEAST TALENTED LIST, BAR NONE’

LIST CHANGES: ALL YOUR CLUB’S TRADES, RETIREMENTS, DELISTINGS

LIST ANALYSIS: THREE BIG ISSUES MAGPIES NEED TO FIX

The recruiting move has been the subject of widespread criticism and Mayne’s father hit out at Buckley in September after the coach was seen to distance himself from the decision during a radio interview.

6e4dc033111ab1cde74703d5f21857a5

Chris Mayne kicked two goals in his three games this year.
fdb3c9b4454e516db4636b25062e1bb2

Chris Mayne didn’t make another senior appearance after Round 3.
Mayne Sr said Buckley was at key recruiting meetings and had thrown his son “under the bus”.

But Balme, who left the Pies in September last year to head up Richmond’s football department, said there was more to the story than had been reported.

“I think I know a lot more about that than I’m prepared to talk about, but I wouldn’t blame Bucks for him totally,” he said today.

“It looks like his deal was a very, very good deal to his (Mayne’s) advantage. I’m not quite sure how that happened, I think that’s probably the error in it all.”

Balme said coaches at all clubs played a role in recruiting but the key decisions were often made by others at the club.

“Certainly, he wouldn’t be there if the coach said, ‘Absolutely, categorically I don’t want him’, but there are a lot of players on your list who aren’t necessarily your first-picked player, but they’re going to be important players around the place,” he said on SEN.

“In Chris’s case I think it seems as though it’s a deal that doesn’t really suit any more, but I’m not quite sure how that happened because I was just leaving at the time.

“I’d rather not say any more about it, it doesn’t look that good though, does it?”

Buckley told SEN after this year’s home-and-away season: “There were a few things mixed up with that. Our director of football was flipping around and there were a few things that happened there that weren’t ideal.”

89baf3cac600a6b1c04262677f405e7c

Chris Mayne couldn’t break back into the Collingwood team.
Mayne joined Collingwood on October 12 last year, a day after Daniel Wells signed on a lucrative three-year deal.

The moves came weeks after Balme was replaced as football boss by Graeme “Gubby” Allan — who quit two months later after being suspended for his role in the Lachie Whitfield affair.

It was reported the promotion of Allan to shake up the football department came as a shock to Balme, his staff and even Buckley.

Mayne will see out his contract despite talk of Collingwood paying him out.

Balme said the 29-year-old forward “hasn’t done anything wrong”.

“I also think this is all very harsh and unfair on Chris Mayne,” Balme said.

“All he’s done is put his hand up and say, ‘I’d love to come and play for your club, I want to come and experience footy in Melbourne’ ... he’d done some really good work with Fremantle, probably run his race there ... not quite sure what happened there, and he finished up at Collingwood, which is all fine.

“Did he play well enough? No, he didn’t. Did they give him enough opportunities? Who knows.”

All of us are fallible: I am a woeful parent, PieBeast dances like a Thunderbird, and ottoman cries like a baby after making love.

Chris Mayne is fallible. He is human. And he didn't drop his bundle despite the flak he copped. Quick photoessay:

What a passport photo! Those mofos at BorderForce wouldn't dare cavity search this bad hombre.

Are you always this focussed at work? Or are you distracted by rubbish sites like BigFooty or Russian Amputee Brides?

He outsprinted WHE to hold hands with Sidey

And he looks lovely on the red carpet

We all love a redemption story. Let's get around Chris this weekend and show the love :hearts::hearts::hearts:

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back