Universal Love Chris Mayne

Remove this Banner Ad

There was a two-game streak in the VFL where he kicked 4 and 5 goals. This was mid-season when Elliott had injuries and Fasolo came out with his issues so Mayne definitely deserved a gig, but the coaches preferred Crocker instead.

I want to see him train with the defenders and try and be a lock-down small defender for the team. Small forwards murder us every year - it's worth a try.

I saw a multi goal VFL performance and it was pure chancework and some moderate work-rate. Wasn't anything like grabbing the bull by the horns and turning the game by skill or hunger. When you disappoint in the seniors you need sustained effort in VFL to get another chance.

I saw a multi goal VFL performance and it was pure chancework and some moderate work-rate. Wasn't anything like grabbing the bull by the horns and turning the game by skill or hunger. When you disappoint in the seniors you need sustained effort in VFL to get another chance.
He is way off the pace at AFL level... not quick, no tank, not agile. Game has passed him by. It happens. We were just too dumb to spot it.

I still wouldn't be surprised if he was delisted. We're prob in negotiations with his management right now after a deal wth Dockers couldnt be negotiated.

having him on the list serves zero purpose going forward, so better to cut our losses and free up a spot.

Shave some money off his paid out contract, and cut him loose to go and earn $100k per year in the WAFL or SANFL.

His form has warranted it, so he cant be angry with the club, and instead exits the AFL system with a massive nest egg.

I simply don’t believe the story. Clubs know that a deal like that would not be accepted by the AFL. Unless proper proof is provided by the alleged journalist, I say it didn’t happen.

Yeah, clearly the AFL aren't prepared to accept these types of trades yet so would have been just as easy to trade Mayne back to Freo for a ridiculously late pick and pay the lions share of his salary for the next 3 years if we were that keen to send him back there or he'd requested a return.

Remember this time last year when everyone was speculating that we did the deal to get good compo for Freo, and that they were going to return the favour somehow this off-season?

Well, that didn't happen...
I'm thinking that it may have been us returning the favour for Clement, Holland, Medhurst and Tarrant.

Has anyone mentioned that the deal for Mayne was bad yet?
What was the deal? I think I haven't seem that yet.
Fill me in if you have a moment :eek: :D

Tucked away in the AFL article about the departures of Messers Sinclair and Ramsay was this little snippet:

A decision on the future of Chris Mayne is yet to be made, with the first list lodgment to take place on Tuesday.

You don't suppose...?

One can only hope

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One can only hope we have a huge war chest and re negotiate his contract so he is paid out over 2 years instead of 4. I can't see mayne wanting to hang around a club he knows he is not wanted at. Despite the money he is earning that would be a pretty Sh!t feeling.

Maybe just Maybe the reason we were so quiet in the trade period is we wanted to have cap space to pay him out early.

One can only hope we have a huge war chest and re negotiate his contract so he is paid out over 2 years instead of 4. I can't see mayne wanting to hang around a club he knows he is not wanted at. Despite the money he is earning that would be a pretty Sh!t feeling.

Maybe just Maybe the reason we were so quiet in the trade period is we wanted to have cap space to pay him out early.

if we can wear the lot this year and get rid of him... so be it.

if we have to pay him over 2 years wouldn't it be better to keep him for all 3. pay him double the salary in 18... and half in 19 and 20. who knows the prospect of playing 3 years of vfl and he may tgurn himself into a damaging player again...

yeah nah...

I reckon Mayne will get another year. Then we see for sure. Remember he was good for Freo for a long time. Might still find a role as a defensive forward.
A long time is a bit of a stretch

I reckon Mayne will get another year. Then we see for sure. Remember he was good for Freo for a long time. Might still find a role as a defensive forward.

That would be the common sense approach. Wipe the slate clean, see if he can turn it around. It’s our fault not his that he’s on a four year contract.

It's his body, some are done at 30, 32... but some are gone at 28

He's lost his speed and reaction time, he can't get to contests and he can't put pressure on, the coaches would be all over the numbers and know better than anyone

It's over and he will hopefully come to realize it sooner rather than later

Can't see how we get rid of him now.

He has to play next year & I would imagine we'll be front loading the contract as much as we can.

Tucked away in the AFL article about the departures of Messers Sinclair and Ramsay was this little snippet:

You don't suppose...?
MB- I don’t know anything about how TPP works
If we (hypothetically) owe Mayne 1.5m over the next 3 years, are we allowed to pay him, for example, 850k next year and 650k the following if the $ fits in the cap thus allowing us to delist after 3 years not 4

MB- I don’t know anything about how TPP works
If we (hypothetically) owe Mayne 1.5m over the next 3 years, are we allowed to pay him, for example, 850k next year and 650k the following if the $ fits in the cap thus allowing us to delist after 3 years not 4
I wouldn’t have been surprised if we loaded him up this year with more to come in yr 2.

If we offered him a four year deal and then delisted him we would have to be the biggest jerks on the planet.
If someone wants to be a jerk by giving me a 3 year, $1.5m holiday... I’m ok with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back