Current Claremont Murders Discussion & Edwards trial updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to admit I am out of the loop but most of the stuff I have read never mentioned the Telstra connection until 2015. Can anyone highlight areas that the 1996 gossip about Telstra began?

I grew up in Perth, it was theorised at the time in 1996 (not officially in the paper, just by friends, parents etc) that it was potentially a telstra worker because they could possibly listen in to calls and know beforehand where the victims were heading. They also had the capability to render other public phones in the area useless/out of order. I dont know where it originated from in 96, but people were discussing it.

The telstra worker that HF is referring to as being outed online actually had a different name.. but lots of other details were quite similar. The man mentioned in the PMs was apparently an ex police officer from the NT who had been discharged from the force due to drug use. It's not the same guy, and he may not even exist, it was most likely put out there to rustle the bushes.

The PM with these details was sent to me by a guy who claimed he was in contact with someone who had read and was in possession of the Schramm report, and who also claimed he had crime scene pics. He claimed he was sending me info on the 3 most likely suspects/POI at the time of the Schramm report.. one was LW, one was this telstra guy with the initials JM, and the other was a friend of Sarah Spiers elder sister.

Very suspicious.

Claremont was centric to the Claremont station, that was the way policing was done before it went divisional. The stations were staffed by 1 officer and the rest were out generally.

That worked out well for them. With the plethora of wrongful convictions and tunnel vision, its hard not to wonder if they were not involved? They did end up in a CCC Inquiry. Were they working for someone running heroin out of Claremont Speedway?

Last edited:
Did CSK have an element of police protection? There's a whacko conspiracy for you Grey Crow :)

That worked out well for them. With the plethora of wrongful convictions and tunnel vision, its hard not to wonder if they were not involved? They did end up in a CCC Inquiry. Were they working for someone running heroin out of Claremont Speedway?

The wrongful convictions you're speaking about (at least I think you are in terms of high profile) weren't investigated by local police. Murder, Rape etc. were handled by detectives from the appropriate branch.

I was only correcting you on your assumption that Claremont wasn't central to police operations. There was no centralised police model in the 90's. The only centralisation came from units like CIB, TRG, Mounted, K9, Water, PolAir etc.

Strangely the reforms suggested in the 2013 review created "Frontline 2020" were there is likely to be a significant return to local policing.

The wrongful convictions you're speaking about (at least I think you are in terms of high profile) weren't investigated by local police. Murder, Rape etc. were handled by detectives from the appropriate branch.

I was only correcting you on your assumption that Claremont wasn't central to police operations. There was no centralised police model in the 90's. The only centralisation came from units like CIB, TRG, Mounted, K9, Water, PolAir etc.

Strangely the reforms suggested in the 2013 review created "Frontline 2020" were there is likely to be a significant return to local policing.
And Claremont had a branch of detectives at the time. 79 Division was the 24 Hour Crime Response in the days.

Pretty sure homicide etc. still went to CIB??
79 Div would be part of the first responders, for example with pam lawrence in May 1994. I think you're correct and just saying Claremont Detectives who investigated western suburbs and based at Claremont Police station would have been involved with the missing CSK girls initially. They didn't have the best of reputations as subsequent inquires found.

The judge has been chosen.

The lengthy judge-alone trial for the man accused of the Claremont serial killings will be heard by Justice Stephen Hall.

Bradley Robert Edwards, 49, has pleaded not guilty to all charges including the murders of 23-year-old Jane Rimmer, 27-year-old Ciara Glennon and Sarah Spiers, 18, in 1996 and 1997.

Edwards faced the West Australian Supreme Court on Monday via video link from Hakea prison.

https://www.9news.com.au/2018/11/12/13/57/judge-chosen-for-claremont-murders-trial

Am I getting it right that it's a picture/document that the discussion regarding its secrecy was about?

What would the prosecution not want BRE to see but would be happy for his lawyer to see. What would BRE be happy to have his lawyer see but not want to see himself. My guess would be that whatever it is they don't want BRE flapping his mouth to other inmates about. If it's something sensitive regarding an individual you'd be content that his lawyer wouldn't leak it as it'd fall straight back on him. Same can't be said for BRE, I guess.

https://thewest.com.au/news/claremo...l-chosen-for-judge-alone-trial-ng-b881019015z

Trial dates are being held starting from May 1, but Mr Edwards’ lawyer Paul Yovich said he did not think he could master all of the material he had received by then.

That material includes a 23,000 page trial brief, 400 gigabytes of data and about 2500 witness statements.

Ms Barbagallo told the court the investigation into Mr Edwards was ongoing and police were still looking into “whatever they can”.

She said she was still waiting on information from Telstra employees about Mr Edwards’ time with the company, which would include where he worked and what cars he had access to.

She said she was still waiting on information from Telstra employees about Mr Edwards’ time with the company, which would include where he worked and what cars he had access to.

Does anybody else think this is odd or would they not keep these kinds of records for an extended time?

Trial might take eight months Carmel says. Yovich says he won't be ready for May and looks like he wants to split the charges. Very sneaky.

He might try to get the Huntingdale/Karrakatta charge/s heard in the lower court?

"Mr Yovich indicated he may lodge a "severance application", which could mean some of the charges are heard separately."

https://www.9news.com.au/2018/11/12/13/57/judge-chosen-for-claremont-murders-trial

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“It includes a trial brief of more than 23,000 pages, 400 gigabytes of data and about 2500 witness statements.”

Given someone has pleaded not guilty, sounds like the defence needs to employ a bigger team since his barrister claims to need more time creating a further delay for his client.

Intrigued as to the strategy of the defence.

And the prosecution.

23,000 page brief - wow!

What is in the 400 gigabytes of data?

Posts and PM’s from multiple blogs perhaps?

Emails, social media, dark web?

Digital forensics tying these to the perp?

Think the 2500 witness statements are going to be very interesting?

Who will be called?

Does anybody else think this is odd or would they not keep these kinds of records for an extended time?
Can't talk specifically for Telstra but if its a Personnel Record about service it would be kept. If he is still there Log books for cars may be a different thing. They could be sent to archives after a particular time and destroyed after 7 years. Who would think that a work car may need to be examined for evidence for a missing persons case 20 years later.

I grew up in Perth, it was theorised at the time in 1996 (not officially in the paper, just by friends, parents etc) that it was potentially a telstra worker because they could possibly listen in to calls and know beforehand where the victims were heading. They also had the capability to render other public phones in the area useless/out of order. I dont know where it originated from in 96, but people were discussing it.

The telstra worker that HF is referring to as being outed online actually had a different name.. but lots of other details were quite similar. The man mentioned in the PMs was apparently an ex police officer from the NT who had been discharged from the force due to drug use. It's not the same guy, and he may not even exist, it was most likely put out there to rustle the bushes.

The PM with these details was sent to me by a guy who claimed he was in contact with someone who had read and was in possession of the Schramm report, and who also claimed he had crime scene pics. He claimed he was sending me info on the 3 most likely suspects/POI at the time of the Schramm report.. one was LW, one was this telstra guy with the initials JM, and the other was a friend of Sarah Spiers elder sister.

Very suspicious.
Sorry I'm just an occasional lurker on CSK threads but this is the first I've read about PMs and a sting. What happened?

I think Arty explains this.

For the first time, Ms Barbagallo also revealed that the state intends to try and introduce “propensity” or ‘similar fact’ evidence as part of the prosecution.
That is evidence which tries to prove past conduct relevant to any allegations.

https://thewest.com.au/news/claremo...dwards-trial-to-be-judge-alone-ng-b881008714z

Anyone wonder what sort of "past conduct relevant to any allegations" she's talking about? Surely with that much evidence they wouldn't be relying on proving the sexual assault at Karrakatta made him the CSK, would they?

For the first time, Ms Barbagallo also revealed that the state intends to try and introduce “propensity” or ‘similar fact’ evidence as part of the prosecution.
That is evidence which tries to prove past conduct relevant to any allegations.

https://thewest.com.au/news/claremo...dwards-trial-to-be-judge-alone-ng-b881008714z

Anyone wonder what sort of "past conduct relevant to any allegations" she's talking about? Surely with that much evidence they wouldn't be relying on proving the sexual assault at Karrakatta made him the CSK, would they?
Its my feeling as discussed earlier that it relates to SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back