Current Claremont Murders Discussion & Edwards trial updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guilty of all charges.

With all the mistakes made in the past with case, I don't think the prosecution would have risked including SS unless they were absolutely sure of a conviction. IMO they have a lot more conclusive evidence and that BRE only plead guilty on the off chance that he would get off. Its a chance he has to take.

I agree

There must be something re SS that hasn't been fully or clearly presented as yet........or I'm just too blind to see

"· (c) Counts 6 to 8 concern the alleged murders of Sarah Spiers (whose body has not been found), Jane Rimmer and Ciara Glennon. Ms Spiers disappeared on 27 January 1996 after she had been at Club Bay View. The State alleges that Ms Rimmer was murdered early in the morning of 9 June 1996 after she had been out in Claremont. The State further alleges that Ms Glennon was murdered early in the morning of 15 March 1997 after she had been out in Claremont.
· (d) The State's case on each count is circumstantial. DNA evidence is a significant part of the State's case on each count except count 6. Fibre evidence is an important aspect of the State's case on count 7. There will be issues concerning the cross-admissibility of evidence on the different counts alleged against the respondent."

Witness statements mentioned in regards to SS in court transcripts revolve establishing her state of mind and relationship at the time. There is also the statement made by EB about a visit from BRE and him asking her to a fireworks display.
The rest is about his state of mind at the time of SS disappearing.

There may be some surprise yet to come but i doubt it. They have no DNA or Fibre evidence that ties SS to any other evidence in the case. All they have are loud screams which would be near impossible to prove who they came from without someone actually seeing who they came from.

I think they are relying are on the disappearance of SS matching the disappearance of JR and CG and having always been considered the first of the Claremont Serial Killings to get that charge upheld.

Counts 6 - Not Guilty - due to lack of conclusive evidence
Counts 7/8 Guilty

I just noticed something in an older post way back so I won't quote it here but it refers to Sarah having gone 'to the fireworks' the night she disappeared.

Has anybody else read that anywhere? I'm wondering if both SS and BRE were at the same fireworks display and if this might be worked in at trial.

I just noticed something in an older post way back so I won't quote it here but it refers to Sarah having gone 'to the fireworks' the night she disappeared.

Has anybody else read that anywhere? I'm wondering if both SS and BRE were at the same fireworks display and if this might be worked in at trial.
She didn't go to the fireworks she had a picnic with friends at Kings Park for an open air concert before the OBH.

This was from the CIA episode about 5 minutes into the episode.

Yes, I can see a few forum posts all saying that.
I suspect they are not correct.
None of them quote their source of the fireworks assertion

City of Perth's Australia Day Fireworks in 1996 were on Sunday January 28th.

Although Mandurah had Fireworks on the Australia Day Friday 26th January 1996 public holiday, I doubt that her friends drove down to Mandurah and back for the Mandurah Fireworks.

She didn't go to the fireworks she had a picnic with friends at Kings Park for an open air concert before the OBH.

Thanks FTY1

I actually have a feeling that he will plead guilty on day one....
I have also been thinking this lately.

Given his '' dont wanna listen'' ear stabbing that he just wants nobody to hear his full life story and a guilty plea changes that

January 26th is Australia Day, fireworks were in many locations, the foreshore of the Swan River is the main location and although Kings Park is one best places for a view of them SS and friends were celebrating Australia Day at the OBH, not on the river.

As BFew mentioned it was Mandurah were BRE wanted to go, according to court docs.

"(h) On a day leading up to Australia Day 1996 the accused attended unannounced at EB's mother's house and asked if she wished to accompany him to the Australia Day fireworks to be held in Mandurah. She declined to attend the fireworks with him. The State says that this can be interpreted as a rejection of a gesture of reconciliation. This is said to be the accumulation of significant emotional upheaval in the accused's personal life in the immediate lead up to the disappearance of Sarah Spiers in the early hours of 27 January 1996. "

Last edited:
Time for a poll thread?

Will BRE

Be Found guilty of all charges
Be Found innocent of all charges
Case dismissed on a technicality
Hung jury

Patsy
Guilty but only on two charges of murder. I damn well hope that the prosecution has something more & something solid to find him guilty of SS. No body, no parole over here in the west. Let's hope that is enough to make him reveal where SS is finally & give her family some form f closure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they are relying are on the disappearance of SS matching the disappearance of JR and CG and having always been considered the first of the Claremont Serial Killings to get that charge upheld.
100% agree. Go for it now or risk possibly never getting another chance.
On its own with the lack of evidence in regards to SS they haven't got enough to take to trial but in relying on the similarities to the other murders & the evidence that relates specifically to those victims, they have a fighting chance.

The thing I suspect brought about the delayed charges for SS was them eventually finding a link involving the Camry. Proof from Telstra he was allocated one at the time combined with something reported by witnesses seems likely to me. Having been given a lift in that car or it being identifiable as a Telstra car or of a telstra guy driving the car. Not sure how it'll go but they'll have something they say links Telstra /Camry in the same circumstances that link Telstra/VS later. They'll ask the judge to draw inferences using the proof they have linking him specifically to the later murders to find that SS was most likely to have been taken in the same manner and met with the same end & that he was most likely to have been the person involved. I very much doubt they have anything up their sleeve relating to SS specifically.

Guilty but only on two charges of murder. I damn well hope that the prosecution has something more & something solid to find him guilty of SS. No body, no parole over here in the west. Let's hope that is enough to make him reveal where SS is finally & give her family some form of closure

assuming he is aware of SS whereabouts, I cannot see any incentive for him to divulge, because IF found guilty on the two other separate counts of murder, I seriously doubt he would ever be given the option of parole ... but that's jmo

imho

Don Spiers drove down to mandurah to look for Sarah ? Was that in CIA too ?

I realise Mandurah is an hours drive from Kings Park but there's quite a few references in here unless the information is totally wrong, that Sarah watched the fireworks from a vantage point in Kings Park. If that's correct, what fireworks would she have been watching?

The Skyshow/Skyworks.

I realise Mandurah is an hours drive from Kings Park but there's quite a few references in here unless the information is totally wrong, that Sarah watched the fireworks from a vantage point in Kings Park. If that's correct, what fireworks would she have been watching?

Maybe if she climbed up that spiral metal tower in Kings Park and took a high powered telescope, she might have been able to see the Mandurah Fireworks, or a selection of DIY ones around Perth and surrounds

Thank you. Where were they launched from?
Barge in the Swan River right in front of the CBD and South Perth. Possibly; 2 barges in 1996

The Trots fireworks may have been visible from Kings Park but, don't think they did them on Australia day (?) I'm getting confused about which fireworks everyone is talking about now too. M'rah I have never been to only the Skyworks on The Swan River - never missed a year yet (apart from the cancelled one with plane death).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back