News Club to launch external review of football department!

Remove this Banner Ad

If the review shows significant problems with the Football department and assistant coaches etc and despite all of this Teague gets us to 8-11 wins in a season where the VFL was again not ideal for player development - can we actually say Teague is also a problem or do we conclude that he hasn’t been given a fair shot yet?

Surely the worse the review findings the better Teague looks in comparison?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If the review shows significant problems with the Football department and assistant coaches etc and despite all of this Teague gets us to 8-11 wins in a season where the VFL was again not ideal for player development - can we actually say Teague is also a problem or do we conclude that he hasn’t been given a fair shot yet?

Depends what the findings are, not whether theyre bad or not.

If the findings are that Teague allows a far too toxic atmosphere then why would that make Teague look good?

What I find interesting about this whole review is that we are actually close to the 8. Fanciful thinking we can make it, but we're not that far off it, yet it still feels like something is wrong at some level.

Whether it be Teague, Asst coaches, injury management, match committee, player development or whatever you feel like criticising, something just doesn't feel right about the place and in truth all those things are fair for criticism. Yet we're still probably only 1 game off the 8 at seasons end.

I saw it said in the media, it was something like "I hope they don't fall Teague hype like they did when he was hired, by getting a few easy wins late in the season". I don't mean that specifically re Teague, but the notion of late season success solving all the problems. I hope they don't think "Well now we've had a few wins maybe we're actually alright" and don't make any changes. Big change still needs to occur.

There's definitely a bit of deja vu about the back end of this year and 2019.

I also wonder what occurs if Teague does by some miracle get us into the 8. The review could indicate he probably isn't a capable coach, but if it also posits the assistants aren't much chop either they'll make the decision to let Teague coach out his contract with the possibility of renewal and bring in some decent support.

I can't see us getting past Port or GWS - these are exactly the kind of teams that fire against us, and GWS themselves are battling for a spot in the 8, but as of 5pm Saturday I could see us sitting, amazingly, in 8th spot.

Not necessarily.
It could be more that the club was right to expect finals with the quality of our list. I think even our supporters underestimate the list quality because we've underachieved for so long.

Think how many people have called players like Dow busts.

Depends what the findings are, not whether theyre bad or not.

If the findings are that Teague allows a far too toxic atmosphere then why would that make Teague look good?

The problems we have had in the Footy department and with player development and game plan etc long precede Teague so I doubt he will be the scapegoat - unless we really line up Clarkson. Anyway let’s see what happens as too much up in the air right now.

I suppose that's true, if our footy department is considered a dumpster fire then aspects of that out of Teague's control could protect him from his track record.

Surely though his future very much depends on who else is available as coach.

Interestingly the Cats review in 2006, Tigers review in 2016 and Pies review in 2017 concluded the coaches at the time were the right people for the job, with the caveat the coaches also took steps to improve on any weaknesses, be it tactical or relinquishing control in areas they were overriding.

This feels very much like 'first position is defend the club no matter what'.

All those people who got interviewed, all the people in the process, family members of those etc they'll all talk to each other. Word spreads, it's quite literally that simple...
No it's not. Original "rumour" was that the panel had leaked a report (that hasn't been completed yet with interviews still taking place) to the board who then leaked what they knew of the report to coterie members who then eaked to said poster.

That's not defending the club no matter what. It's simply picking apart something that defies logic.

I'm sorry if it doesn't meet with your pre conceived ideas.

Various things floating around about the preliminary findings involving poorly defined roles in the football department, various roles having too much say in areas they shouldn't and laziness.

We've just got to wait and see although I think it's fairly obvious to us really...

Inconsistent play is down to 2 or 3 very obvious things.... Poor preparation, physically or mentally and less than 100% buy in to the team. All teams have the odd hiccup but we are beyond hiccups, inconsistency is the carlton brand this season, and we aren't really young enough to hide behind 'the inconsistency of youth' anymore, when it's clearly effort based inconsistencies most of the time. Tells me enough without the whispers I think. You're intelligent I'm sure you can derive enough from what's visible on game day.

Yep, and the effort based inconsistencies have been noticably rectified since the announcement of the review, which is also telling. The whole place seems to have lifted a notch or 2 - still going to be bad patches like North second half, but our lapses are fewer and further between.

Wonder whether it's enough to save a few skins who might otherwise have been in trouble?

No it's not. Original "rumour" was that the panel had leaked a report (that hasn't been completed yet with interviews still taking place) to the board who then leaked what they knew of the report to coterie members who then eaked to said poster.

That's not defending the club no matter what. It's simply picking apart something that defies logic.

I'm sorry if it doesn't meet with your pre conceived ideas.

I think you're treating the panel and board members as though they are something more than they actually are... which is regular people. And as for the type of people that enjoy sitting on boards... that's another species altogether.

Complete or not, the very people who brought the panel in will be hounding them on a daily basis for updates/snippets/interim summaries and the panel will provide it. Highly unlikely that everybody just patiently waits to hear the end report. And what does get "officially" released will be watered down.

Yep, and the effort based inconsistencies have been noticably rectified since the announcement of the review, which is also telling. The whole place seems to have lifted a notch or 2 - still going to be bad patches like North second half, but our lapses are fewer and further between.

Wonder whether it's enough to save a few skins who might otherwise have been in trouble?

true but worth pointing out the quality of opponent since the review compared to before. Our back half of the year fixture has been a lot easier.

I think you're treating the panel and board members as though they are something more than they actually are... which is regular people. And as for the type of people that enjoy sitting on boards... that's another species altogether.

Complete or not, the very people who brought the panel in will be hounding them on a daily basis for updates/snippets/interim summaries and the panel will provide it. Highly unlikely that everybody just patiently waits to hear the end report. And what does get "officially" released will be watered down.
Actually they aren't the same as you and I. They are people who have been very successful in life in some cases that may have been because they were lucky or knew someone, but primarily it is because they have risen to the top in their chosen field.

Craig Mathieson for example is managing director of Mathieson group which is a family company, however prior to that he was ceo of dms glass and non executive director of shaver shop and did 10 years in the banking industry. None of these were family appointments.
Chris Townshend is a barrister with 26 years experience.
Luke Sayers worked for PWC for 21 years before being appointed CEO.

These people know how business works. Their reputations are on the line if they don't do things correctly. They love the club.

And yet people on here would have you believe that they are amateurs who would take great delight in gossiping about a report that hasn't been completed yet at the risk of besmirching their reputations?

Can't have it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually they aren't the same as you and I. They are people who have been very successful in like in some cases that may have been because they were lucky or knew someone, but primarily it is because they have risen to the top in their chosen field.

Craig Mathieson for example is managing director of Mathieson group which is a family company, however prior to that he was ceo of dms glass and non executive director of shaver shop and did 10 years in the banking industry none of these were family appointments.
Chris Townshend is a barrister with 26 years experience.
Luke sayers worked for pwc for 21 years before being appointed ceo.

These people know how business works. Their reputations are on the line if they don't do things correctly. They love the club.

And yet people on here would have you believe that they are amateurs who would take great delight in gossiping about a report that hasn't been completed yet at the risk of besmirching their reputations?

Can't gave it.

Like the same super intelligent business people behind Essendon? Or behind Carlton during the salary cap breaches?

It takes more than just intelligence and savvy to get somewhere. PWC has a rotten culture ask anyone that has or does work there, Sayers was the CEO of rotten.

Not everyone that posts here is some peasant boiling leather for a living that looks up at these people like gods.

It should ensure their Sacking, My question would be why were these inconsistencies and various other tweaks not looked at and experimented with or earlier!!

Any idea yet as to when it'll come out officially?
Not sure that it ever will, officially.
There will be bits and pieces leaked out here and there, and we will be able to make some reasonable guesses based on the moves that are made, but I imagine that'll pretty much be it.

There's definitely a bit of deja vu about the back end of this year and 2019.

I also wonder what occurs if Teague does by some miracle get us into the 8. The review could indicate he probably isn't a capable coach, but if it also posits the assistants aren't much chop either they'll make the decision to let Teague coach out his contract with the possibility of renewal and bring in some decent support.

I can't see us getting past Port or GWS - these are exactly the kind of teams that fire against us, and GWS themselves are battling for a spot in the 8, but as of 5pm Saturday I could see us sitting, amazingly, in 8th spot.
If the review indicates that he isn't a capable coach AND that the assistants aren't much chop, I'm not sure that letting Teague coach out his contract achieves much. You wouldn't be able to replace the assistants. Nobody decent would come with uncertainty around Teague, and presumably the club wouldn't be offering any more than 1 year contracts for new assistants, as Teague's replacement would likely want a say in his coaching team.
In that scenario, I think it just needs to be a clean break from all involved.

Like the same super intelligent business people behind Essendon? Or behind Carlton during the salary cap breaches?

It takes more than just intelligence and savvy to get somewhere. PWC has a rotten culture ask anyone that has or does work there, Sayers was the CEO of rotten.

Not everyone that posts here is some peasant boiling leather for a living that looks up at these people like gods.
Just a terrible poor post.

PWC is rotten? PWC ranks as the second largest professional services network in the world. It has revenue of $43 billion dollars.it has 284,000 employees.

Be interested on what basis you can call them "rotten".

The Point of my post was not to say that they should be treated as gods, rather that they are not the idiots that some on here believe that they are in leaking a non completed report to coterie members to leak to people on this forum.

Think that you might need to go and have a rest for a bit.

If the review indicates that he isn't a capable coach AND that the assistants aren't much chop, I'm not sure that letting Teague coach out his contract achieves much. You wouldn't be able to replace the assistants. Nobody decent would come with uncertainty around Teague, and presumably the club wouldn't be offering any more than 1 year contracts for new assistants, as Teague's replacement would likely want a say in his coaching team.
In that scenario, I think it just needs to be a clean break from all involved.

I probably didn’t word that well, I’m saying if he’s an average coach currently but there are fixable issues then maybe he has a chance of being retained.

The biggest issue is going to be attracting decent senior assistants and/or a decent head of footy and that is a non-negotiable as an issue we can all clearly identify.

Thompson/Hardwick/Buckley did have runs on the board as their teams had made finals, albeit Teague’s sample size is much smaller.

Just a terrible poor post.

PWC is rotten? PWC ranks as the second largest professional services network in the world. It has revenue of $43 billion dollars.it has 284,000 employees.

Be interested on what basis you can call them "rotten".

The Point of my post was not to say that they should be treated as gods, rather that they are not the idiots that some on here believe that they are in leaking a non completed report to coterie members to leak to people on this forum.

Think that you might need to go and have a rest for a bit.

Rotten culturally yes.

Anyone can make lots of money in this day and age, if you aren't then you're probably taking too much of your own advice.

What I'm attempting to convey is that the people operating at this level are not special or better even than you. They are game players and manipulators and the leaks and rumours are all a part of it.

Rotten culturally yes.

Anyone can make lots of money in this day and age, if you aren't then you're probably taking too much of your own advice.

What I'm attempting to convey is that the people operating at this level are not special or better even than you. They are game players and manipulators and the leaks and rumours are all a part of it.
And all I'm trying to say is that they are game players and smart enough not to go leaking reports that haven't been completed yet to all and sundry so that they rbdbup on internet forums. I hope, in particular, that they are better even than you.

Leppa has stated in the HS that he is not interested in being a senior coach or assistant in 2022, but he is interested in a Footy Manager role. Have we got a job for you Justin.
I’m happy for him to manage the footballs. Making sure the footballs are adequately pumped up for training and stored properly. That would be the only “Footy Manager” role I’d be happy with him doing.😀😀

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back