Query Clubs of Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
One thing I find pretty curious is the real lack of football clubs in 'well known' suburbs of Perth. Especially inner city or older suburbs. While these areas have WAFL clubs, I really can't think of that many amateur clubs currently calling these areas home. One thing I've found curious is the real lack of junior or amateur clubs in or close to Fremantle – which is an old footy town and probably the oldest in Western Australia. In Victoria, there are entire leagues based out of suburbs around say Essendon – even though the zone had the Bombers and North Melbourne.

Did Souths and East Fremantle essentially suck up all resources?

Are there old clubs that have died out?

I'm thinking there would have been a Beaconsfield Football Club, Bicton, White Gum Valley.

Instead now most of the nearby clubs are in Cockburn, Melville, Kwinana.

North Fremantle is a rare example. Predating a lot of the WAFL clubs it's a powerhouse. Well known club, generally always get a good quantity and quality of player, nice home ground. There's also Fremantle CBC but from memory they don't actually play in town?

Can anyone fill me in if these clubs have just changed names or gone to new areas or if they just never existed?

Cheers.

Interesting point. I've never had much to do with the Ammos, so aren't sure. As you say CBC was there, and used to play at East Freo oval, and many of the other teams were school based - Trinity Aquinas, Old Wesley, Old Scotch - which weren't that far up the highways. There was a Swanbourne team, and Coolbellup too.

There was a Fremantle club in the Sunday league in the 1980s, as well as Willetton, Applecross, Canning, Kwinana, Mandurah and Rockingham.

Also, south of Freo, there wasn't much due to the industrial zones. Peel (Mandurah) obviously has it's own league.
Bullcreek-Leeming is a famous junior club

This book covers the first 20 years of football in Fremantle.

https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news...examines-the-origins-of-football-in-fremantle.

There was a competition called the Fremantle Ex-Scholars that ran until 1979. In the early 1980s there were teams from Cockburn, Hamilton, Spearwood, North Fremantle, an East Fremantle amateurs team, Southern Port, who later merged with Hamilton. I dont have a complete list of teams in the area at the time, that is compiled going from memory.

Fremantle Ex Scholars c 1960
Graylands, Fremantle, Hilton park
Richmond, Cockburn,North Fremantle
Mosman Park, Swanbourne

Amateurs at the same time were
Maylands, South Perth, North Fremantle
Bayswater Mosman park, Cockburn,
Wembley, South fremantle, East Perth, Nedlands-Claremont

There was a North East Fremantle in the old WAFA during the 1930s (WANFL B grade 1920 -1960s)
"B" grade premiers 1938

Update this might be east fremantle under a diffrent name or a combine...

held their meetings at an Artillery barracks
& seem to have disappeared in 1939

Last edited:
I am currently writing a book on senior football throughout WA between 1885 and 1945, listing all the clubs and competitions during that time.

There was a Fremantle Suburban FA which ran in the 1920s and 1930s before the WA Amateur Association took on their clubs in 1939, a year after the Perth Suburban clubs moved to the Amateurs.

The FSFA-affilated clubs were Beaconsfield Rovers, Bicton-Palmyra, Brighton, Cottesloe Beach, East Fremantle, East Fremantle Athletic, East Fremantle Juniors, Harrison, Harrison Juniors, High Street East, Hilton Park, Military, Mosman Park, Navy, North Fremantle, Palmyra, South Fremantle Juniors (1), South Fremantle Juniors (2), Spartans, St. John’s, St. Paul’s, St. Patrick’s and Swanbourne.

Three current PFL clubs come from this list - Melville, Mosman Park and North Fremantle. Cottesloe Beach became Mosman Park in the late 1930s while Harrison merged with Palmyra in 1925 to become Palmyra (which is now known as Melville).

The Fremantle Ex-Scholars was an under age competition from its inception right through until the late 1960s. It was for players 19 & under until the mid 1950s, 20 & under until 1967 and 26 & under from 1968 - why 26 and under I do not know.

Last edited:
I am currently writing a book on senior football throughout WA between 1885 and 1945, listing all the clubs and competitions during that time.

There was a Fremantle Suburban FA which ran in the 1920s and 1930s before the WA Amateur Association took on their clubs in 1939, a year after the Perth Suburban clubs moved to the Amateurs.

The FSFA-affilated clubs were Beaconsfield Rovers, Bicton-Palmyra, Brighton, Cottesloe Beach, East Fremantle, East Fremantle Athletic, East Fremantle Juniors, Harrison, Harrison Juniors, High Street East, Hilton Park, Military, Mosman Park, Navy, North Fremantle, Palmyra, South Fremantle Juniors (1), South Fremantle Juniors (2), Spartans, St. John’s, St. Paul’s, St. Patrick’s and Swanbourne.

Three current PFL clubs come from this list - Melville, Mosman Park and North Fremantle. Cottesloe Beach became Mosman Park in the late 1930s while Harrison merged with Palmyra in 1925 to become Palmyra (which is now known as Melville).

The Fremantle Ex-Scholars was an under age competition from its inception right through until the late 1960s/early 1970s.

There is a very rich history of footy down Freo way in late 1800s: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fremantle_Football_Club_(1882–1899)

Played ammos colts for Swanbourne in the the late 60s.
We played at North Freo oval on the river, top spot, it felt like history playing there in the 60s, trust its kept its charm & cold showers. https://www.theblacktruffle.com.au/...ball-club-celebrating-100-years-of-community/

Last edited:
"Behind the Play" by Anthony J Barker (WAFC commissioned ISBN 0-9752427-0-9 and printed by Advance Press Bassendean) might help with sources and bibliography if you wish to delve into history like this.
Not generally a fan of football books but this and "The Red Fox" are excellent Aussie Rules books.

Dunno if it’s because I’m high waiting for Uber Eats but did OP actually make a good thread? Insane. Didn’t think Silent Alarm had it in him. Is he still around these days?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back