News Coaching Thread: The Hardwick Era

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, it looks like media hunt is on. And we did not even play badly yet.

Personally, I am a bit surprised that almost everybody believes that Clarko would be the saviour. Yes, he had an incredible run with Hawks but they did get rid of him. By all reports late he interfered in everything, messed up the list and so on. Where is the guarantee that he can succeed again. On the other hand Suns are ripe for success so most probably he would succeed which pisses me off a little bit. Just to enjoy benefits of previous work done by Dew and co.

I will always support Suns, but if Suns are competitive and let's say win 10 games and they still replace Dew with Clarko, Suns will lose one paid member.

Common boys, do it for Dew. I don't want to listen to Clarko's pressers.
I reckon 10 wins will be enough for Dewey to get an extension. Even less if we can cut out the blowouts or end up with a positive percentage.

Wonder if the afl has set dew up for failure. We have an extremely tough first 10 weeks. If we sit 2-8 after 10 games enter Clarkson with a much easier back end of the year

Wonder if the afl has set dew up for failure. We have an extremely tough first 10 weeks. If we sit 2-8 after 10 games enter Clarkson with a much easier back end of the year

I was thinking the draw was set up for opposite reasons because we usually fade out after the mid season bye it makes it easier for us in the back end of the year

Yeah it could work the opposite too i guess, scrape enough wins early and could make him look good in the back half. Just would feel for him a bit if he got the arse half way through with the draw we have

Any chance he might even get a one year extension even if we finish bottom four given I think 2024 should see real improvement with BK back and another season into Rowell and Co.?

As long as Clarkson turns us down, I have no issue giving Dew one more year to have a crack with a fit and healthy King up forward.

This year though, Dew needs to keep the Suns relevant until late in the season, if we can get 10 wins, that would be welcome improvement.

Curious to see what people think gets dew a contract extension

Our bye is in round 13.

So if we are 6-6 after 12 games (so need to go 4 and 3 from here), and playing well, and Luko and Ranks are signed or signing, then that would be a big big tick.

Tbh, given our perceived retention problems and the evenness of the comp this year, that might be enough to get it done. Expect positive noises.

4-8 at the bye? Expect them to be non-committal.

Our bye is in round 13.

So if we are 6-6 after 12 games (so need to go 4 and 3 from here), and playing well, and Luko and Ranks are signed or signing, then that would be a big big tick.

Tbh, given our perceived retention problems and the evenness of the comp this year, that might be enough to get it done. Expect positive noises.

Don't know his overall record must be in Bolton /Leppitsch / Neeld territory atm

I feel like he’s already ticked one box for me, that the style we play looks a lot better.
I think 8 wins and a good % should get him an extension.

It’s easy to look over the fact that he inherited the worst list in the competition then lost his co-captains at the end of his 1 year. I remember people were saying in 2019 that this is one of the worst lists of all time.

3 years later we have a really strong core of young players who seem to be developing really well and would probably be a finals threat if we didn’t lose one of the best young key forwards in the game.

This is also the first time in our history that it feels like the club genuinely has a good culture that people want to stick around for which Dew is a massive reason for.

Any chance he might even get a one year extension even if we finish bottom four given I think 2024 should see real improvement with BK back and another season into Rowell and Co.?

I was thinking that they might offer him 1 year after the bye.. although it’s year 5 for him on paper it’s almost realistically 3rd year after the first 2 years basically a write off to gut the list

As long as Clarkson turns us down, I have no issue giving Dew one more year to have a crack with a fit and healthy King up forward.

This year though, Dew needs to keep the Suns relevant until late in the season, if we can get 10 wins, that would be welcome improvement.

My worry about Clarkson is looking at Carlton when they got the master coach Malthouse after a year off coaching and where that ended up

Our bye is in round 13.

I agree with you.. I think the two games before the bye in Darwin are the most important to win out of the next 7 especially if we drop the game against north then I think the pressure really starts to mount on him

Don't know his overall record must be in Bolton /Leppitsch / Neeld territory atm

Dew 21 wins 1 draw 66 loss
Bolton 21 wins 61 loss
Leppitsch 14 wins 52 loss
Neeld 5 wins 28 loss
Scott Watters 17 wins 27 loss

I was thinking that they might offer him 1 year after the bye.. although it’s year 5 for him on paper it’s almost realistically 3rd year after the first 2 years basically a write off to gut the list

My worry about Clarkson is looking at Carlton when they got the master coach Malthouse after a year off coaching and where that ended up

I agree with you.. I think the two games before the bye in Darwin are the most important to win out of the next 7 especially if we drop the game against north then I think the pressure really starts to mount on him

Dew 21 wins 1 draw 66 loss
Bolton 21 wins 61 loss
Leppitsch 14 wins 52 loss
Neeld 5 wins 28 loss
Scott Watters 17 wins 27 loss
Going by those stat's he is just ahead of Leppitish and well ahead of Neeld (15%, the Demons fans must have been rioting at that) , he can't afford to slip under 20 percent or the AFL.has to step in like they did with Fagan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our bye is in round 13.

I think people put way too much stock in a coach's win-loss record during a particular stint at a club, particularly when they spent a considerable portion of their time building/rebuilding a list. Anyone know Kevin Sheedy's record as GWS coach? 3-41. That's a winning percentage of just 6.9% (Dew's winning record is 23.8%) but does anyone say Sheedy was one of the worst coaches of all time because of what happened when he coached GWS? Absolutely not. Everyone knows he was there to build the list from the ground up and he had already proven over many decades that he could coach at an extremely high level. So why are we so harsh on a guy like Dew when we all have the context that the club had committed to a proper list rebuild at the beginning of 2019? It would be more fair to base his ability to coach on our winning percentage from 2022 onward because our list has matured dramatically since the beginning of 2019.

Last edited:
Yeah absolutely agree, all the news around is that players want to stick around and be part of some real success. Eventually you do need to see results but at this stage to build a list that has serious potential to win a flag is at the forefront. Who knows if dew is the main reason for this change of attitude amongst the group but he has to be given some credit. I'd be fine if he gets an extension, he deserves a crack with a quality team

I’m not sure Dew would accept a 1year deal.

Bit if a slap in the face..

Here’s 1 year.. we can’t agree whether or not u deserve to stick with us long term.

Maybe the Suns are playing better this year due to Steven king? And Shaw?

Whose to say the next coach won’t take the club a step further down the road

I'm more on the Dew train now than I have been but reserve the right to disembark at any station
My beef with him has always been his seeming inability to get the best out of players supporters thought were okay and have proven that at other Clubs
I accept the salary cap argument for moving on Brodie and 2MP but that seems less compelling when we dumped 400k on Atkins for 5 years
That is literally lighting a dumpster fire with $100 bills
Add that to Rory Thompson's 5 or 600k a year for rehab
But as previously mentioned-we start playing finals no-one cares anymore

Here’s 1 year.. we can’t agree whether or not u deserve to stick with us long term.

King, Miller and Campbell have been fantastic for the Club apparently.

No one’s offering a guy with a winning percentage in the low 20’s a better deal than 1 year, take it of leave it. Personally I hope he leaves it, 5 seasons 5, 1 2 3 4 5 with a list cramped full of top 10 picks and we are still s**t. He would of been sacked 2 years ago if he was in Melbourne

No one’s offering a guy with a winning percentage in the low 20’s a better deal than 1 year, take it of leave it. Personally I hope he leaves it, 5 seasons 5, 1 2 3 4 5 with a list cramped full of top 10 picks and we are still s**t. He would of been sacked 2 years ago if he was in Melbourne
We can presume Clarkson has no interest
Who would you take?
I liked Dew's most recent interview where he said he'd developed strong enough personal relationships with the players now to be able to demand more
How long would it take for a new coach to do that?
I guess Hinckley could be on the market:rolleyes:

Pro:

If the clubs sticks by Dew it creates stability.

With all our recent “star” young guns re-signing, it appears they have bought into his coaching.

The club exodus of our first decade has finally stopped.

The AFL & Evan’s dream would probably be someone like Clarkson joining as a Coaching director/mentor over Dew. Not sure Dew would want that though?

Cons:

Under Dew, we still have no consistency. We are still 1-2 years away from being a top 8 side. We can’t attract an A grade mature midfielder to fast track the process. He appears to play favourites far too often, although team selection does seems better this season?

We can presume Clarkson has no interest
Who would you take?
I liked Dew's most recent interview where he said he'd developed strong enough personal relationships with the players now to be able to demand more
How long would it take for a new coach to do that?
I guess Hinckley could be on the market:rolleyes:
Hinkley has forever put wind up the arse of the young guys at Port, and I think it has been something that has come back to bite him now. Not sure that even dew has been that complimentary towards our young guys. He has been positive but not over the top. Results always have the final say but I think the club and dew are definitely heading in the right direction.

I sounded like a broken record talking about Brodie on these forums over the last few years but anyone who watched VFL weekly could see that this was always going to happen. The bloke is one of the best pure clearance players I've seen and he hammered the door down week in week out in the VFL only to be dumped on the half forward line for half a game once every 6 weeks and then dropped again.

Stoked he's being utilised properly and genuinely happy to see him flourish at Freo. Deserved better than what he was getting at the Suns.

I sounded like a broken record talking about Brodie on these forums over the last few years but anyone who watched VFL weekly could see that this was always going to happen. The bloke is one of the best pure clearance players I've seen and he hammered the door down week in week out in the VFL only to be dumped on the half forward line for half a game once every 6 weeks and then dropped again.

Stoked he's being utilised properly and genuinely happy to see him flourish at Freo. Deserved better than what he was getting at the Suns.

Yep, Brodie always was good at what he was good at. Too bad us suns fans are the ones left copping the criticism and either defending the clubs decision or just calling Brodie s**t which he ain’t.

Club owes us so much

Remove this Banner Ad

Back