wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Did you need a grinder seperate or included?

Never buy machines that come with a built in grinder. The grinders are terrible quality

Much better to get a cheaper machine and spend on a quality grinder. That will make the difference.

The Baratza sette 270 is a super good home espresso grinder. The Sette 270wi is able to be set to grind a specific weight or coffee each time as it has an inbuilt scale. That’s basically the Mecca of coffee grinding - being able to consistently have the same recipe each coffee you make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Ive been looking at the Gaggia automatics maybe this one

Yes I can barrista but I cant be ****ed with all the mess on the bench top ,this is about on par with a good manual machine and a good grinder and you dont have to think or clean it after every coffee

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Ive been looking at the Gaggia automatics maybe this one

Yes I can barrista but I cant be f’ed with all the mess on the bench top ,this is about on par with a good manual machine and a good grinder and you dont have to think or clean it after every coffee

Still a fair bit of cleaning to be honest. Would be easier to go for a Nespresso machine but buy your pods from a coffee roaster… a lot less money for comparable quality

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Still a fair bit of cleaning to be honest. Would be easier to go for a Nespresso machine but buy your pods from a coffee roaster… a lot less money for comparable quality

Ive got an aldi pod
Makes a "good" brew if you use 2 but its a lot of plastic

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Ive got an aldi pod
Makes a "good" brew if you use 2 but its a lot of plastic

Yeah it is - you gotta search out those using compostable capsules. There’re out there, just gotta look.

If you’re in Victoria you can get the St Ali capsules at most woolies. Can also get them online. They’re fully compostable and use excellent coffee.

As always with pod machines though, you’re paying around 300% more per gram of coffee for convenience.

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Advice on the best home set up for a budget of around $2000 (ok if a little more)

Typically making 2-3 espressos each morning, and the occasional latte (although could ignore the latte if that provided a better solution).

Breville Dual Boiler Espresso Machine - you can often get these for around $1000 if you price match Bing Lee

Baratza Sette 270wi or Mahlkönig x54 - the two best bang for buck grinders. 270wi has the benefit of inbuilt scales

Both setups will cost you less than $2000. You won’t find a better value home setup

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Advice on the best home set up for a budget of around $2000 (ok if a little more)

Typically making 2-3 espressos each morning, and the occasional latte (although could ignore the latte if that provided a better solution).

Breville Bambino Plus + Breville Smart Grinder

Whole setup under $1,000.

SnakePlisskin

Cancelled
Mar 3, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hi all , my wife bought a Nespresso Vertuo plus and I can’t work out which pod to use for a normal latte . Any ideas or favorite pods ?
Cheers.

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Is there any issues or things to be careful of buying a second hand machine? Found an almost brand new SMEG machine for $200.

Limescale, o rings, seals, valves. Lots you can’t see under the hood

Mar 11, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Breville Dual Boiler Espresso Machine - you can often get these for around $1000 if you price match Bing Lee

Baratza Sette 270wi or Mahlkönig x54 - the two best bang for buck grinders. 270wi has the benefit of inbuilt scales

Both setups will cost you less than $2000. You won’t find a better value home setup

Thank you!

I've got this set up now.

270wi & Dual Boiler Espresso Machine.

Still figuring out my settings, happy to take advice.

Any tips on managing the mess of the grinder?

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Thank you!

I've got this set up now.

270wi & Dual Boiler Espresso Machine.

Still figuring out my settings, happy to take advice.

Any tips on managing the mess of the grinder?

By mess, are you talking about loose grounds going over the side of the portafilter?

If so i would find something like this - but a cheaper version from Amazon perhaps. Should catch all the stray grinds.

As for settings - here are mine.

Water - 93*C
Pre infusion time -4 seconds
Pre infusion power - 60pp
Shot setting - volume
Dose - 21g dry coffee
Yield - 40g wet coffee (weight of a double espresso)
Time - 24-30 seconds

Obviously if everything a controlled (dose, yield), then time will change by making the grind finer (makes the shot run longer) or coarser (makes the shot run faster)

You need to change the program from time to volume on the machine to make it put out the same amount of coffee each time - rather than run for the same time. Press the 1 cup button and the on button to get the advanced settings. And then check page 17 of the manual below if it doesn’t say it in yours.

Not sure if I’ve missed anything, but feel free to ask away whenever!

Oct 18, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Anyone got a Flair or Robot? Leaning towards a robot but I’m still weighing up whether to go down fully manual or get a Gaggia or Breville Bambino.

Haven’t bit the bullet on a machine yet.. a local cafe around the corner from me is selling aero presses in the shop for $50. If I want to make a basic coffee at home is it a good investment? Or is it gonna taste no different to moccona coffee in a cup with hot water and milk?

Big Cox 88

Cancelled
Low Carb High Fat - Acolyte
Apr 1, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
AC Milan, Chelsea
Haven’t bit the bullet on a machine yet.. a local cafe around the corner from me is selling aero presses in the shop for $50. If I want to make a basic coffee at home is it a good investment? Or is it gonna taste no different to moccona coffee in a cup with hot water and milk?
Aeropresses make fantastic coffees. They aren't espresso style, more a filter/ French press hybrid. Medium roasted beans ground to medium-fine should hit the spot nicely.

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Aeropresses make fantastic coffees. They aren't espresso style, more a filter/ French press hybrid. Medium roasted beans ground to medium-fine should hit the spot nicely.

Spot on, except you want medium coarse. Somewhere between filter and French press. Because it’s a full immersion brew you don’t want too much dust and fine particles

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Anyone got a Flair or Robot? Leaning towards a robot but I’m still weighing up whether to go down fully manual or get a Gaggia or Breville Bambino.

What’s your budget? Get a breville dual boiler price matched to $1000 from your nearest retailer.

I know that I harp on about this machine and I have nothing to do with breville. It’s literally the best bang for Buck machine on the market

I love my aeropress - I bought a second one for the office after enjoying my press at home so much.

Can echo the sentiments above about the roast. Medium (or even light) roasts work well in them, dark roasts less-so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back