Think Tank Collingwood’s 2018 grand final team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Has any other club imploded so quickly and so absolutely? What a terrible, terrible shame.

View attachment 1262007

11 Players/Gone 3 full season after a grand final isn't that remarkable

Hawthorn 2015 - End of 2018 Trade Period was 10

Gone:
Lake
Gibson
Mitchell
Rioli
Hale
Hodge
Duryea
Suckling
Lewis
Hill

Geelong 2011 - End of 2014 trade period is 11 too

Gone:
Hunt
Scarlett
Wojcinski
Varcoe
West
Podsiadly
Chapman
Ottens
Ling
Corey
Christensen

Has any other club imploded so quickly and so absolutely? What a terrible, terrible shame.

View attachment 1262007

Gone:
Lake
Gibson
Mitchell
Rioli
Hale
Hodge
Duryea
Suckling
Lewis
Hill

Gone:
Hunt
Scarlett
Wojcinski
Varcoe
West
Podsiadly
Chapman
Ottens
Ling
Corey
Christensen
Yep, it's not unusual. It's 11 for the Crows 2017-2020, and technically 12 because although Talia was listed, he didn't play at all in 2021.
There's implosions and there's implosions though, these guys were spectacular in falling apart.

crows.png

Yep, it's not unusual. It's 11 for the Crows 2017-2020, and technically 12 because although Talia was listed, he didn't play at all in 2021.
There's implosions and there's implosions though, these guys were spectacular in falling apart.

View attachment 1262676
Did they lose their coach and president too?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gone:
Lake
Gibson
Mitchell
Rioli
Hale
Hodge
Duryea
Suckling
Lewis
Hill

Gone:
Hunt
Scarlett
Wojcinski
Varcoe
West
Podsiadly
Chapman
Ottens
Ling
Corey
Christensen

Not a fair comparison.

Geelong and Hawks were each at the end of a great era and many of the players in their GF sides were close to retiring.

Averages ages of the three sides in GF years listed: Geelong 29.0, Hawks 28.4, Coll 26.3.

That may not look like much, but 2-3 years diff is HUGE for comparing average ages.

As a comparison, the difference between the oldest side in 2021 (Geelong @ 25.4) and youngest (Adelaide @ 23.6) is a mere 1.8 years. Now,......granted overall lists (instead of best 22) are warped by every team having a bunch of 18-19 recent draftees, but I think it still shows that Collingwood has imploded much more than Geel & Hawks did. It wasn't just time and natural attrition that caught up with them, there may be something more at play...

EDIT: Just saw Adelaide from 2017-2020 mentioned. Average age 26.5. I think they also fall into the implosion category.

Note: I'd have to run this on many more teams to make it statistically significant. I have no idea how many GF players leave on average over a three year period or average age of GF sides. But the data so far does look notable.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back