Competitions Collingwood Board Phantom Draft Game 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

We're into the final round folks. Thanks to everyone who has contributed. You have done a great job getting so far so quickly.

Knightmare - I didn't see Darcy Fort at 42 in your draft till after I took Currie. Should he have gone much earlier?

Knightmare has no more selections for either Richmond or Sydney. I would like to acknowledge Knightmare's expertise and also that I relied fairly heavily on the information presented in his own mock draft in determining my selections. Others have probably done the same.

Fort's draft range is still unclear. Could go 2nd round. Could go as a rookie. Some varied views on his game and as a developing type.

Currie is the more immediate player with Fort more of a long term project who needs time so it depends on what you are looking for in a selection.

A quiet day today, and I have been back and forth from various activities all weekend. I will make a Melbourne selection if 4#Didak#4 hasn't surfaced by 5pm tomorrow, though as Melbourne has 3 selections fairly near each other in this last round, I would hope that 4#Didak#4 is available to pick.

I thought #69 was up next. Seems to have dropped off the main list for some reason. Anyhow my pick:

#70 Melbourne
Michael Close (from Nort Ballarat Rebels)
H: 195cm W: 82kg DOB: 30/7/94
I have picked Close as a key back option. There is not too many decent key forwards in this draft, but this bloke I think could do a job down back. He is touted as a key forward or key back, but with Melbourne's forward line setup established now its time to focus on defence. He will need a few years to develop & get some size and eventually come in to support Frawley.

Knightmare's write up:
Mobile key position player with elite endurance for a key position player. Can play forward or back but is probably more suited to playing down back. Reasonable mark overhead but as a key forward probably not dominant enough for my liking. Good user of the footy for someone at his height. Has had his injury issues this year but still looks a strong chance to get drafted.

I would have taken Michael Close here but given i know 4#D#4 wants him then will happily let pass thru. So we will call out

# 69 - GWS

Shane Nelson – West Perth / 180cm / 82kg / ‘93
Silly he wasnt taken last year (I had him circa #45 so I need to say that) and the reasons he wasnt aren’t all that clear apparently illness, lack of game speed, x factor etc. Given some of the muppets we have had on our rookie list its unclear to me why he missed in deference to those. Anyway has stuck it up the recruiters noses and gone back to WAFL seniors and averaged over 25 touches per game with plenty of them being contested. Then checked into Screen testing and slotted a 2.8 (20m), a whopping 7.8 (agility) and also showed healthy beep and repeat sprint #’s to back up last years good testing results. We also know that last year he landed in the elite camp for kicking......His ability to get around the park and play a little like a Gaff style of game is the best comparison. Has a motor, bit of speed, can win own pill, ball use is good and I just cant see why the kid wouldn’t be given a chance.

I would have taken Michael Close here but given i know 4#D#4 wants him then will happily let pass thru. So we will call out

# 69 - GWS

Shane Nelson – West Perth / 180cm / 82kg / ‘93
Silly he wasnt taken last year (I had him circa #45 so I need to say that) and the reasons he wasnt aren’t all that clear apparently illness, lack of game speed, x factor etc. Given some of the muppets we have had on our rookie list its unclear to me why he missed in deference to those. Anyway has stuck it up the recruiters noses and gone back to WAFL seniors and averaged over 25 touches per game with plenty of them being contested. Then checked into Screen testing and slotted a 2.8 (20m), a whopping 7.8 (agility) and also showed healthy beep and repeat sprint #’s to back up last years good testing results. We also know that last year he landed in the elite camp for kicking......His ability to get around the park and play a little like a Gaff style of game is the best comparison. Has a motor, bit of speed, can win own pill, ball use is good and I just cant see why the kid wouldn’t be given a chance.

I thought you were putting in a "pass" for #69 so GWS could pick up Tippett in the PSD :p. As it turns out your pick just got deleted by MMD. Now we know how they are going to get rid of Adelaide's picks for salary cap cheating - MMD is getting called up to hit the delete button;). Just kidding MMD you are doing a top job!

Great minds think alike - I would have taken Nelson if Close wasn't there! I couldn't let Close slip any further. I am happy to swap them around and defer to your higher selection.

Pick #71 - Tom Langdon (Utility, primarily defender)
Height: 189cm, Weight: 80kg
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons

Must admit I haven't seen much of Tom, so I'll just put Knightmare's draft preview in:

Profile: Landgon is a defender who can also play through the midfield. Big time accumulator and has improved strongly as the season has progressed. Skills by both hand and foot solid. Athletically not super quick but has a nice evasiveness and agility which he uses effectively. Strong mark overhead. Enjoys sneaking forward and generally a good set shot at goal. Through the midfield Langdon is a surprisingly effective clearance player and it seems to be an underrated aspect of his game which has grown late in the season. As an inside player Langdon can read the ruck taps and get the ball quickly to boot for the quick clearances. Still more of an outside player and gets much of his ball through handball receives but I’ve seen enough signs to suggest his stoppage work once he gets stronger can become very solid and that he can develop more of an inside/outside game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, we have reached a slowing of the process as we enter the final straight. People have more interest in Dicks and 69ers than unearthing AFL gems just at the moment.

We picked up Leigh Brown at #73, so it is still possible to get value.

Yep, we have reached a slowing of the process as we enter the final straight. People have more interest in Dicks and 69ers than unearthing AFL gems just at the moment.

Yeah, but can we really blame them?

Ive still got one or two in mind, just hope they dont go before my pick

Number10 made a selection for Hawthorn about 3 spots down the list back, so I will wait till the afternoon before taking Hawthorn's pick. Hopefully the mighty T will have his wish granted. I have only been game enough to write up one profile ahead of time - Daniel Currie with 2 picks before mine when I knew Carlton would definitely not recruit a ruckman. Otherwise, selections have been difficult to predict, especially since the first round.

Hey I am really sorry I don't realise hawthorn had another pick- I am thinking of a key back, so keep tuned as I scope one out. Sorry again!!

Sorry for holding it up- honestly didn't think hawthorn had anything left.

I have gone for a KPD as they seem to be lacking in depth tere with the departure of Murphy and Gilham, couple with their new recruit Brian Lake only having 1-2 good years left in him. Schoenmakers and Gibson alone aren't enough for them to continue to be in the top echelon of teams in a few years and they should go for a player who can offer backup in 2-3 years time.

Pick 72 Hawthorn- Matt Wallis 194 cm KPD - Norwood

Chris25 says:
Pick 25

Last year, Wallis played only a couple of games in the SANFL but Norwood had high hopes for him. And he started the season well, being named in the South Australian U18 squad. Coming into the U18 Championships, I had Tim O'Brien at full back and Matt Wallis at full forward. Yet they were flipped around, and it looks like it was the best outcome for both parties. I thought Wallis stood up really well at full back, and just went about his business in an unassuming way. Whenever a full back doesn't get mentioned, it's typically been a good day. And that was the case for Wallis. His one on one work has been strong, and he has been equally adept against smaller forwards too. He might not be the highest rated defender available here by many, but I really like what he does. What may help is some strong showings at full forward lately in the SANFL where he has marked strongly and kicked a few goals, versatility is never a bad thing for a KPP. AFL Comparison: Tom Lonergan.

Pick #71 - Tom Langdon (Utility, primarily defender)
Height: 189cm, Weight: 80kg
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons

Must admit I haven't seen much of Tom, so I'll just put Knightmare's draft preview in:

Profile: Landgon is a defender who can also play through the midfield. Big time accumulator and has improved strongly as the season has progressed. Skills by both hand and foot solid. Athletically not super quick but has a nice evasiveness and agility which he uses effectively. Strong mark overhead. Enjoys sneaking forward and generally a good set shot at goal. Through the midfield Langdon is a surprisingly effective clearance player and it seems to be an underrated aspect of his game which has grown late in the season. As an inside player Langdon can read the ruck taps and get the ball quickly to boot for the quick clearances. Still more of an outside player and gets much of his ball through handball receives but I’ve seen enough signs to suggest his stoppage work once he gets stronger can become very solid and that he can develop more of an inside/outside game.

Which club is langdon going to? :p

Race 7, Number 8 Mount Athos. Well weighted, class horse whose blistering pace will see him run down the field in the straight.

.........sorry wrong thread. I think the Dees have the next 2 picks. In reality these would probably be their rookie upgrades for Nicholson and Magner(?). Anyhow, in the spirit of the game I will ignore those and post my picks shortly.

Melbourne Pick #72 - Myke Cook

Cook is a former Crow that got delisted and went to Sandi in the VFL. To his credit he proved he can be an effective player & is worth a shot at AFL level. Cook is more an outside midfielder, but has a great defensive side to his game and goes hard. I think he would give the green Melbourne midfield an instant older body and complement their budding group of elite inside mids. They made a play for Wellingham & Farren Ray for similar reasons.

Melbourne Pick #73

Sean Lynch
H: 184cm W: 76kg, DOB: 30/01/94
Lynch has all the attributes to be a solid player at AFL level. I think he could potentially go higher and see him as close to best available at this stage. He can provide Melbourne with some valuable run & carry in the future. Isn't a freak athelete just an old fashioned footballer who will work hard - I love these types, very undervalued these days.

Knigtmares write up:
High production outside player who mostly plays off a back flank. Work rate excellent and runs all day. Has some pace. Real link up type player and has a natural read on the game and knows where to run. Also has impressed with his kicking skills and is a good user of the footy. Lacks the flashiness of many back flank types but he makes up for it with the substance in his play and production. Defensively could put some further work into his game but otherwise I’ve liked what I’ve seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back