Toast Collingwood Premiership Honour Board

Remove this Banner Ad

well if we're going to use american sport as a template, I believe that the NFL trophy is presented to the OWNER. Have a look at this presentation and see if it sickens you not to see a player on the dias until well after the trophy has been presented. The owner's family is behind him...I think....what a joke.

We get a lot of people in here telling us how american sports do things better. I dont think this is one of those times.

PS the content is blocked....no great loss.

Markfs

I'm from the old school NFL and the media/entertainment frenzy nonsense the Super Bowl has become disgusts me to no end. My upbringing was from the Northern New Jersey urban communities within a half hour's drive of the Meadowlands and the old Giants Stadium where I attended games with my father in the "Wilderness Years" of the 1970s to early 1980s. The New York Football Giants are a flagship NFL franchise with a rich history and tradition dating back to the early years of the NFL. Fans appreciate and respect that history and tradition and the owners continue to run the Giants as a family business (NOTE: often to their own disadvantage). But when they finally overcame their lean years to become champions, starting with the 1986 championship (i.e. Super Bowl XXI) which was, sentimentally, the exact same feeling as the 1990 Collingwood Premiership. Ironically, it was also the Giants who captivated a nation, at the beginning of the Gulf War, in winning Super Bowl XXV to claim the championship for season 1990. It was a joy for the ages that I had experienced during that time frame. Nothing quite like that has ever come close for me. But the point being that the Giants, in both Super Bowl victories, conducted themselves with class and dignity that one would come to expect from the Giants' organization. Even in more recent times, when they defeated New England (and Tom Brady) twice, it was the Giants showing class and dignity that one would expect from a flagship franchise. Even in a down cycle, as they are struggling in at the moment, the class and dignity of being a flagship franchise remains.

The YouTube video you attached, showing the Kansas City Chiefs at the podium (NOTE: the Chiefs are one of the flagship AFL franchises from the 1960-69 American Football League) and the media hoopla is annoying and Roger Goodell has done more, as commissioner, to ruin the sport and many of us here cannot wait until the day he is removed from his post. His agenda is pure greed at the expense of the common fan. When I watched my Giants play the Arizona Cardinals here in Week 2, I purchased tickets for my family of five, nine rows up behind the Giants' bench, at US $325 per ticket. Including taxes and fees, plus parking, I dropped US $2300 just to get us in the building.

But I digress. The NFL presents the Vince Lombardi trophy to the owner. The trophy ends up in the historical location within the stadium. For example, the Giants have the Giant Legacy Club at Metlife Stadium where their four Lombardi trophies reside. The Super Bowl Champion rings, which 150 are issued to the team, can go to any player, coach, executive, staff member or individual inside or outside the organization. It is this hope I have that the AFL could, one day, consider something equivalent for the Premiers of a given season so that everyone who contributed can be rewarded with the cherished item, be that a medal, a ring or something else.

Full disclaimer. I, in no way, suggest American sports do anything better and, especially so, in the modern era of greed and self adulation. To date, the NFL season pales in comparison to the AFL season recently completed. I may be only one American who feels that way, but there are others who have moved away from the NFL, MLB and NBA to follow other sports. I'm actually enjoying the start of the NHL and my New York Rangers who wowed us with a big western Canadian road trip sweep of all five opponents in their path. But, again, I digress.

My point is only that it would make sense if the AFL could find a way to award an entire team, as opposed to individuals playing on Grand Final day who won. Too many deserving individuals are left out and it leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

Peace!

Markfs

I'm from the old school NFL and the media/entertainment frenzy nonsense the Super Bowl has become disgusts me to no end. My upbringing was from the Northern New Jersey urban communities within a half hour's drive of the Meadowlands and the old Giants Stadium where I attended games with my father in the "Wilderness Years" of the 1970s to early 1980s. The New York Football Giants are a flagship NFL franchise with a rich history and tradition dating back to the early years of the NFL. Fans appreciate and respect that history and tradition and the owners continue to run the Giants as a family business (NOTE: often to their own disadvantage). But when they finally overcame their lean years to become champions, starting with the 1986 championship (i.e. Super Bowl XXI) which was, sentimentally, the exact same feeling as the 1990 Collingwood Premiership. Ironically, it was also the Giants who captivated a nation, at the beginning of the Gulf War, in winning Super Bowl XXV to claim the championship for season 1990. It was a joy for the ages that I had experienced during that time frame. Nothing quite like that has ever come close for me. But the point being that the Giants, in both Super Bowl victories, conducted themselves with class and dignity that one would come to expect from the Giants' organization. Even in more recent times, when they defeated New England (and Tom Brady) twice, it was the Giants showing class and dignity that one would expect from a flagship franchise. Even in a down cycle, as they are struggling in at the moment, the class and dignity of being a flagship franchise remains.

The YouTube video you attached, showing the Kansas City Chiefs at the podium (NOTE: the Chiefs are one of the flagship AFL franchises from the 1960-69 American Football League) and the media hoopla is annoying and Roger Goodell has done more, as commissioner, to ruin the sport and many of us here cannot wait until the day he is removed from his post. His agenda is pure greed at the expense of the common fan. When I watched my Giants play the Arizona Cardinals here in Week 2, I purchased tickets for my family of five, nine rows up behind the Giants' bench, at US $325 per ticket. Including taxes and fees, plus parking, I dropped US $2300 just to get us in the building.

But I digress. The NFL presents the Vince Lombardi trophy to the owner. The trophy ends up in the historical location within the stadium. For example, the Giants have the Giant Legacy Club at Metlife Stadium where their four Lombardi trophies reside. The Super Bowl Champion rings, which 150 are issued to the team, can go to any player, coach, executive, staff member or individual inside or outside the organization. It is this hope I have that the AFL could, one day, consider something equivalent for the Premiers of a given season so that everyone who contributed can be rewarded with the cherished item, be that a medal, a ring or something else.

Full disclaimer. I, in no way, suggest American sports do anything better and, especially so, in the modern era of greed and self adulation. To date, the NFL season pales in comparison to the AFL season recently completed. I may be only one American who feels that way, but there are others who have moved away from the NFL, MLB and NBA to follow other sports. I'm actually enjoying the start of the NHL and my New York Rangers who wowed us with a big western Canadian road trip sweep of all five opponents in their path. But, again, I digress.

My point is only that it would make sense if the AFL could find a way to award an entire team, as opposed to individuals playing on Grand Final day who won. Too many deserving individuals are left out and it leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

Peace!

wowsies.....but i digress.

You can understand my point. Many people in this country are continually pointing to american sports as being the template for sports in this country. The ring being the latest example.

I was pointing out that the NFL championship cup went to the owner. I dont care too much about american gridiron but I loosely support the green bay packers purely on the basis that they are the only team in the league that is owned by a broad collection of people from the green bay area. I hate franchises. I hate ownership of sporting clubs. If Eddie was to take over ownership of the Pies, I wouldn't be crying in happiness if that team were to win a premiership. I cant say that I would stop supporting the Pies, but 95% of my heart would be cut out.

The tradition in our league is for the players on the day to get the medal. If that was extended, players like Adams and the other boys wouldnt feel any more included. They wouldnt be flashing their rings to get free food in restaurants and telling stories how their mates won the game. It just wouldnt happen. The greatest appreciation will come from the magpie fans when they meet up with taylor and dan and john and the other boys and anyone else at the club.......when they express their gratitude. It's not sexy and it's not american but its genuine.

I listened to the monday morning program on SEN after the game, with Buckley on. Several Pie fans rang up and expressed their gratitude to Buckley for his efforts. He failed in his quest to get a premiership but I hope that every Pie fan knows that he tried his guts out for a long long time. Of course, Buckley wasnt directly connected to this flag but he was a major influence. Does he deserve a "ring" any less than a current fitness adviser at the club. Opinions would vary.

But whatever happens in the future, this is an australian game built on australian history and australian values.

wowsies.....but i digress.

You can understand my point. Many people in this country are continually pointing to american sports as being the template for sports in this country. The ring being the latest example.

I was pointing out that the NFL championship cup went to the owner. I dont care too much about american gridiron but I loosely support the green bay packers purely on the basis that they are the only team in the league that is owned by a broad collection of people from the green bay area. I hate franchises. I hate ownership of sporting clubs. If Eddie was to take over ownership of the Pies, I wouldn't be crying in happiness if that team were to win a premiership. I cant say that I would stop supporting the Pies, but 95% of my heart would be cut out.

The tradition in our league is for the players on the day to get the medal. If that was extended, players like Adams and the other boys wouldnt feel any more included. They wouldnt be flashing their rings to get free food in restaurants and telling stories how their mates won the game. It just wouldnt happen. The greatest appreciation will come from the magpie fans when they meet up with taylor and dan and john and the other boys and anyone else at the club.......when they express their gratitude. It's not sexy and it's not american but its genuine.

I listened to the monday morning program on SEN after the game, with Buckley on. Several Pie fans rang up and expressed their gratitude to Buckley for his efforts. He failed in his quest to get a premiership but I hope that every Pie fan knows that he tried his guts out for a long long time. Of course, Buckley wasnt directly connected to this flag but he was a major influence. Does he deserve a "ring" any less than a current fitness adviser at the club. Opinions would vary.

But whatever happens in the future, this is an australian game built on australian history and australian values.
Thank you for your reply. We're aligned on many points here and thank you for sharing your thoughts on extending Grand Final awards past those who made the selection list.

Back to Buckley, the man has been elected into the Hall of Fame so, no, a ring, or any other type of indirect recognition, would be appropriate. His work was validated after Fly took the reins and the Club immediately bounced back into contention. The Grand Final was the missing piece that allowed his players to see it through to completion, and allow him to envision what it might have looked like for him had Sheed's kick not decided the match five years earlier.

You mention the NFL Packers and their unique ownership style. Again, you can appreciate what I mean when I say one of the old NFL teams with a rich tradition and history. When we discuss the Packers, Bears, Cardinals and Giants, these are the teams from the earliest days of the NFL who are distinguished by their history. When you understand the impacts the legends George Halas, Corley Lambeau, Tim Mara and his sons Jack and Wellington, aka "The Duke," had on the growth of the game, they are held in a different regard than the other NFL teams. Though the Bears and Giants are franchises, both have been family owned since their inception (for the Bears, 103 years, the Giants 99 years). These teams represent the last bastion of what is good in the game of football in the USA but that sentiment is rapidly dying off. The franchise point I understand, but now the Packers without a Brett Favre or Aaron Rodgers is going to find it difficult to compete which will test the unity of that organization. We shall see.

Your point about Super Bowl winning players flashing rings for freebies is something, sadly, which happens and that speaks, in my opinion, to the (lack of) character of the individual than it being a universal habit. I say this because I know a few New York Giants players from Super Bowl XXI (1986) who are down to earth folks, just like any of us here, and express nothing but gratitude for the experience to have been part of such a great team with one of the greatest head coaches of all time (Bill Parcells). Most of these men are involved in their community and I know one who hit it big in the financial investment world but lives his life the same as he did in rust-belt Buffalo, New York (NOTE: where my wife grew up) except it's now near San Diego, California. Former Navy pilot, he continues to live his life in a disciplined manner, and his daughter recently followed his footsteps into the Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland. My point is for every dude flashing his ring, there's 10 others who are grateful and humble about their participation on a Super Bowl Champion team.

Don't let that Hollywood media crap stereotype all of us. We are very much the same and, for the few of us who love the AFL and, the Magpies, we're with you all in black and white.

Peace!

Thank you for your reply. We're aligned on many points here and thank you for sharing your thoughts on extending Grand Final awards past those who made the selection list.

Back to Buckley, the man has been elected into the Hall of Fame so, no, a ring, or any other type of indirect recognition, would be appropriate. His work was validated after Fly took the reins and the Club immediately bounced back into contention. The Grand Final was the missing piece that allowed his players to see it through to completion, and allow him to envision what it might have looked like for him had Sheed's kick not decided the match five years earlier.

You mention the NFL Packers and their unique ownership style. Again, you can appreciate what I mean when I say one of the old NFL teams with a rich tradition and history. When we discuss the Packers, Bears, Cardinals and Giants, these are the teams from the earliest days of the NFL who are distinguished by their history. When you understand the impacts the legends George Halas, Corley Lambeau, Tim Mara and his sons Jack and Wellington, aka "The Duke," had on the growth of the game, they are held in a different regard than the other NFL teams. Though the Bears and Giants are franchises, both have been family owned since their inception (for the Bears, 103 years, the Giants 99 years). These teams represent the last bastion of what is good in the game of football in the USA but that sentiment is rapidly dying off. The franchise point I understand, but now the Packers without a Brett Favre or Aaron Rodgers is going to find it difficult to compete which will test the unity of that organization. We shall see.

Your point about Super Bowl winning players flashing rings for freebies is something, sadly, which happens and that speaks, in my opinion, to the (lack of) character of the individual than it being a universal habit. I say this because I know a few New York Giants players from Super Bowl XXI (1986) who are down to earth folks, just like any of us here, and express nothing but gratitude for the experience to have been part of such a great team with one of the greatest head coaches of all time (Bill Parcells). Most of these men are involved in their community and I know one who hit it big in the financial investment world but lives his life the same as he did in rust-belt Buffalo, New York (NOTE: where my wife grew up) except it's now near San Diego, California. Former Navy pilot, he continues to live his life in a disciplined manner, and his daughter recently followed his footsteps into the Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland. My point is for every dude flashing his ring, there's 10 others who are grateful and humble about their participation on a Super Bowl Champion team.

Don't let that Hollywood media crap stereotype all of us. We are very much the same and, for the few of us who love the AFL and, the Magpies, we're with you all in black and white.

Peace!

As the saying goes, nothing personal mate. I've been intimate with a few americans over the journey and i've been able to communicate well with many in some extended visits - as long as I've concentrated on my diction and adopted the local vernacular, although I would sometimes refer to wearing a jumper to attract attention to myself.

There are some times that I prefer that we dont adopt from America. Gun control is a easy one to justify. The current requirements in international politics is another for me.... and the relationship between sport and private ownership is another. Nothing personal, as Aussies would say. I'm sure that there has been good people involved in many american franchises, but I just dont like the concept and on the specific question of rings, there's a lot of it that sounds nice, but there are some things that I've grown up with in Australian sport and I like them to remain.

As for your viewership, I'm happy to have you on board. I remember watching AFL highlights on visits there 40 years ago and i'm still surprised that americans prefer the episodic spurts of play in the american game to games like the recent grand final where you have to plan your visits to the fridge. But I also understand that it's hard to change what you've grown up with....Note We've changed an awful lot in footy in recent years and i prefer to keep the things that dont have to change.

I'll let you into a secret that is well known here. It's called cultural cringe and while Aussies seem to be proud of themselves, you only have to scratch the surface to see the ego of a nerdy teenager. It was only this morning that I was looking at a news site and there was an article about how tourists are puzzled at aussie's "disgusting" habit of walking the streets in bare feet. The author, although trying to be humorous, reflects a common theme in australian life. There was joke going around many years ago that famous visitors were asked if they like the country immediately after they got off the jet. So how does this impact on the question of extending the "rings" to the organisation? Well sometimes, like wearing barefeet, you just have to say stuff it....

And no need to thank me for posting. I'm happy to post on things that interest me at the time or the original thoughts of someone like yourself.

As the saying goes, nothing personal mate. I've been intimate with a few americans over the journey and i've been able to communicate well with many in some extended visits - as long as I've concentrated on my diction and adopted the local vernacular, although I would sometimes refer to wearing a jumper to attract attention to myself.

There are some times that I prefer that we dont adopt from America. Gun control is a easy one to justify. The current requirements in international politics is another for me.... and the relationship between sport and private ownership is another. Nothing personal, as Aussies would say. I'm sure that there has been good people involved in many american franchises, but I just dont like the concept and on the specific question of rings, there's a lot of it that sounds nice, but there are some things that I've grown up with in Australian sport and I like them to remain.

As for your viewership, I'm happy to have you on board. I remember watching AFL highlights on visits there 40 years ago and i'm still surprised that americans prefer the episodic spurts of play in the american game to games like the recent grand final where you have to plan your visits to the fridge. But I also understand that it's hard to change what you've grown up with....Note We've changed an awful lot in footy in recent years and i prefer to keep the things that dont have to change.

I'll let you into a secret that is well known here. It's called cultural cringe and while Aussies seem to be proud of themselves, you only have to scratch the surface to see the ego of a nerdy teenager. It was only this morning that I was looking at a news site and there was an article about how tourists are puzzled at aussie's "disgusting" habit of walking the streets in bare feet. The author, although trying to be humorous, reflects a common theme in australian life. There was joke going around many years ago that famous visitors were asked if they like the country immediately after they got off the jet. So how does this impact on the question of extending the "rings" to the organisation? Well sometimes, like wearing barefeet, you just have to say stuff it....

And no need to thank me for posting. I'm happy to post on things that interest me at the time or the original thoughts of someone like yourself.
I've enjoyed the exchange and please know that I've been indoctrinated into Aussie 101 courtesy of (no, not Paul Hogan and a shrimp on a barbie) playing the game in California nearly 25 years ago to include some old VFL/AFL players named John Ironmonger, Cameron O'Brien and this fine gentleman by the name of Paul Roos. In addition, our club had no less than a dozen Aussie expats so I was a clean slate they took great pride in corrupting as best they could. It was a rewarding experience short of what Coxzilla ultimately pulled off which was my ultimate fantasy.

The benefit of following both football codes is that one completes its season as the other begins its new season, but I certainly don't compare the two as commentator Peter Landy used to educate us back in the early 1980s on the rules of footy and encouraged us to write to Channel 7 for rulebooks and other VFL trinkets. I actually picked up my first Collingwood guernsey in 1984 through Active Marketing Party Ltd. which, I believe, was the VFL Properties division and that made my day when this parcel from Australia arrived in my mailbox in my upstate New York home. You'd get a laugh out of this nerdy soccer goalkeeper for his high school team wearing his Collingwood guernsey and talking up the Pies in the halls, between classes, as they prepared for the 1984 Preliminary Final (NOTE: a story which led to my pure hatred of Essendon, Sheedy, Terry Daniher and the whole lot for running up the score against our depleted heros). From that point, forward, Collingwood-Essendon matchups were a more heated affair than even Carlton. That's why I grin from ear to ear when our boys properly disposed of those clowns twice in the 1990 Finals.

Cultural cringe. Yes. I could write my own novel from my military experiences serving in South Korea in the early 1990s, or as a defense contractor in Germany nearly a decade later. When you've immersed yourself in other countries where you adapt to the cultures (or not, if you so choose), you soon forget about being labeled an American, an Australian, a German, Korean and so forth. You realize everyone is just people, like yourself, who grew up and learned how to make do a little bit differently than yourself. The scary part, should I let the cat out of the bag, is that we all have more in common than we give ourselves credit for. Politics? A lot of hot air and nonsensical banter which represents nobody but the big mouths doing the talking. You like to walk in bare feet down the street? Well, go right ahead, if it makes you happy. I've given up yelling at my kids about it, so I tell them to rinse them off before coming in the house and all is forgiven. There, crotchety old man dad can meet them halfway so I guess I've earned enough cool points to not get drop-kicked out of the house (at least for now!). The differences between this place and Australia may seem to add up. But I'll tell you this much. The differences in this country today, versus 30 years ago, are astounding and scare the daylights out of me. My wife tells me that's what happens when you get old and set in your ways. Well, maybe so.

My dream destination, before my time is up on this Earth of ours, is to make the journey over there and see the Club in action. One of these days. Until then, I hope the Southern Cross shines bright in your nighttime sky, while the Little Dipper guides us northbound in ours.

Peace!

I've enjoyed the exchange and please know that I've been indoctrinated into Aussie 101 courtesy of (no, not Paul Hogan and a shrimp on a barbie) playing the game in California nearly 25 years ago to include some old VFL/AFL players named John Ironmonger, Cameron O'Brien and this fine gentleman by the name of Paul Roos. In addition, our club had no less than a dozen Aussie expats so I was a clean slate they took great pride in corrupting as best they could. It was a rewarding experience short of what Coxzilla ultimately pulled off which was my ultimate fantasy.

The benefit of following both football codes is that one completes its season as the other begins its new season, but I certainly don't compare the two as commentator Peter Landy used to educate us back in the early 1980s on the rules of footy and encouraged us to write to Channel 7 for rulebooks and other VFL trinkets. I actually picked up my first Collingwood guernsey in 1984 through Active Marketing Party Ltd. which, I believe, was the VFL Properties division and that made my day when this parcel from Australia arrived in my mailbox in my upstate New York home. You'd get a laugh out of this nerdy soccer goalkeeper for his high school team wearing his Collingwood guernsey and talking up the Pies in the halls, between classes, as they prepared for the 1984 Preliminary Final (NOTE: a story which led to my pure hatred of Essendon, Sheedy, Terry Daniher and the whole lot for running up the score against our depleted heros). From that point, forward, Collingwood-Essendon matchups were a more heated affair than even Carlton. That's why I grin from ear to ear when our boys properly disposed of those clowns twice in the 1990 Finals.

Cultural cringe. Yes. I could write my own novel from my military experiences serving in South Korea in the early 1990s, or as a defense contractor in Germany nearly a decade later. When you've immersed yourself in other countries where you adapt to the cultures (or not, if you so choose), you soon forget about being labeled an American, an Australian, a German, Korean and so forth. You realize everyone is just people, like yourself, who grew up and learned how to make do a little bit differently than yourself. The scary part, should I let the cat out of the bag, is that we all have more in common than we give ourselves credit for. Politics? A lot of hot air and nonsensical banter which represents nobody but the big mouths doing the talking. You like to walk in bare feet down the street? Well, go right ahead, if it makes you happy. I've given up yelling at my kids about it, so I tell them to rinse them off before coming in the house and all is forgiven. There, crotchety old man dad can meet them halfway so I guess I've earned enough cool points to not get drop-kicked out of the house (at least for now!). The differences between this place and Australia may seem to add up. But I'll tell you this much. The differences in this country today, versus 30 years ago, are astounding and scare the daylights out of me. My wife tells me that's what happens when you get old and set in your ways. Well, maybe so.

My dream destination, before my time is up on this Earth of ours, is to make the journey over there and see the Club in action. One of these days. Until then, I hope the Southern Cross shines bright in your nighttime sky, while the Little Dipper guides us northbound in ours.

Peace!
Ha ha, Hollywood O'Brien. One of the greats. The stories I have about him are not fit for BF.

Peace!

I just posted on the topic of club jumpers, and I thought about the lack of advertising on some US sports jersey's - especially the baseball - in contrast with european soccer teams.

If I had to take one thing from american sport, it's the value that they put on the players' clothing. I can understand that it's a sales pitch with baseball which relies very heavily on the history of the sport. Cricket could take a leaf out of the US approach, although it must be said that baseball is in decline and retaining the uniforms of the past might seem a negative in a world where all the sexy teams wear shirts with betting companies on them.

This is just a comment on our discussion. I'm not intending to restart it. Peace

Peace!
I really enjoyed your post.
Thank you 🙏

I just posted on the topic of club jumpers, and I thought about the lack of advertising on some US sports jersey's - especially the baseball - in contrast with european soccer teams.

If I had to take one thing from american sport, it's the value that they put on the players' clothing. I can understand that it's a sales pitch with baseball which relies very heavily on the history of the sport. Cricket could take a leaf out of the US approach, although it must be said that baseball is in decline and retaining the uniforms of the past might seem a negative in a world where all the sexy teams wear shirts with betting companies on them.

This is just a comment on our discussion. I'm not intending to restart it. Peace
I am very well-versed on the American industry of professional sports "game-worn" jersey collecting and investing. I have tapped into that market for jerseys from the NFL New York Football Giants as well as the NHL New York Rangers. I will attempt to find your post and add my two cents there.

Peace!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back