List Mgmt. Collingwood FS & NGA "Peter Daicos Academy" kids

Remove this Banner Ad

Tadhg McCarthy: Reads the play well and always looks likely to take an intercept mark, having formed an important part of the Oakleigh backline throughout 2023. Competes well and was listed at 191cm but has presence and backs himself to fly.

Luke Quaynor: A halfback who provides spark and uses it well off halfback, Quaynor is the younger brother of Collingwood dynamo Isaac, and has similar traits. Played 11 consecutive games from his Talent League debut, with his competitiveness and willingness to learn both features according to Oakleigh insiders. Like Isaac, he is tied to Collingwood’s Next Generation Academy.

But while the likes of Eagles list boss Rohan O'Brien were left shaking their heads at Marvel Stadium earlier in the week, 7News' Ryan Daniels has claimed changes are on the horizon, with clubs set to be able to match bids from Pick 21 onward as soon as next season.

"I'm here today to say that it's going to [change]," Daniels told Triple M listeners of the league's plans to restore parity.

"I believe that they [the AFL] are going to switch it back to 20 [selections]. So the first 20 will be protected.

But while the likes of Eagles list boss Rohan O'Brien were left shaking their heads at Marvel Stadium earlier in the week, 7News' Ryan Daniels has claimed changes are on the horizon, with clubs set to be able to match bids from Pick 21 onward as soon as next season.

"I'm here today to say that it's going to [change]," Daniels told Triple M listeners of the league's plans to restore parity.

"I believe that they [the AFL] are going to switch it back to 20 [selections]. So the first 20 will be protected.
which is how it was in 2020. And it should have stayed that way. First round is more than enough.

which is how it was in 2020. And it should have stayed that way. First round is more than enough.
It should be the same for northern academies too. I think they’ve had more than enough of a leg up now, it’s getting ridiculous. Or at least limit it to one player inside the first round. That way they can’t complain about FS selections. The way it is at the moment is just ******* nonsense.

It should be the same for northern academies too. I think they’ve had more than enough of a leg up now, it’s getting ridiculous. Or at least limit it to one player inside the first round. That way they can’t complain about FS selections. The way it is at the moment is just ******* nonsense.
It is one player in the first round if you are a top 4 team.

Syd and Bris have no excuse and the rules shouldn't apply to them especially given they have access to FS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is one player in the first round if you are a top 4 team.
Top 4 shouldn’t be a prerequisite. A team sitting mid table shouldn’t be able to snare almost a quarter of the first round prospects for chump change while the other teams around them get punished because they’re denied access to talent that should otherwise be available to them.
Syd and Bris have no excuse and the rules shouldn't apply to them especially given they have access to FS
There’s no excuse for any team to have these benefits when it’s to the detriment of the rest of the competition.

Nothing to stop northern clubs trying to trade up the draft order to draft local talent. The argument is other clubs benefit from northern clubs trading down currently, but it doesn’t sit right.

Nothing to stop northern clubs trying to trade up the draft order to draft local talent. The argument is other clubs benefit from northern clubs trading down currently, but it doesn’t sit right.
Nah, having the dumb luck to have the right combination of picks to turn turds to gold isn’t a strong argument. And even if it was, it’s one club benefiting from that while 16 others get punished and have to move down the order.

This is the current rules on bids for the northern clubs. This came in during when GWS entered the comp. They are gonna get to a point where these clubs if they continue to produce talent, they'll either have to select them on their own picks, or let them go into other clubs, which is what has happened with the lions. Its how Cumberland ended up at Richmond.

Gold Coast, Brisbane, Sydney and GWS can match bids on academy players at any point in the draft, with the only restriction coming from their on-field performance; a team can match one first-round bid if they reach the preliminary finals, two if they reach the finals but are knocked out in the first two weeks, and an unlimited number if they miss the finals. The rule was introduced during the Giants’ period of premiership contention in the late 2010s.

If they’re going to maintain northern academies, I reckon all 4 Northern clubs be should be able to poach from each other’s academy without counter bids.
Now we're getting some drama lol
I think GWS/Syd attempted it one year

This is the current rules on bids for the northern clubs. This came in during when GWS entered the comp. They are gonna get to a point where these clubs if they continue to produce talent, they'll either have to select them on their own picks, or let them go into other clubs, which is what has happened with the lions. Its how Cumberland ended up at Richmond.
The rules are crap and need to be changed. It’s ridiculous that northern clubs are essentially allowed unlimited selections until they get to powerhouse level. This isn’t a rule that equalises the competition it’s a rule that is designed to deliver premierships to northern clubs.

I’m just thankful that Hardwick is an overrated hack who got lucky being blessed with incredible assistants, because if they had a genuinely good coach GC would end up unstoppable.

The rules are crap and need to be changed. It’s ridiculous that northern clubs are essentially allowed unlimited selections until they get to powerhouse level. This isn’t a rule that equalises the competition it’s a rule that is designed to deliver premierships to northern clubs.

I’m just thankful that Hardwick is an overrated hack who got lucky being blessed with incredible assistants, because if they had a genuinely good coach GC would end up unstoppable.
Really ? This Gold Coast super power hyperbole stuff is just ridiculous. They will improve but still miles off a top 4 list

Really ? This Gold Coast super power hyperbole stuff is just ridiculous. They will improve but still miles off a top 4 list

We didn’t win the 2023 Premiership by having a top 4 list

Remove this Banner Ad

Back