List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Feel sorry for SOS as he been on the AFL List IF Murphy retried last year
Not neccessarily. In fact I’d argue we recruited Eyre specifically because we knew this might happen. You need to remember that we still have Frampton, Dean and Eyre (who will be back in a matter of weeks) competing for that second key defence spot. Adding Sof, who performed more poorly during the preseason than any of the aforementioned, would be unlikely to change the current dynamic in any meaningful way.

Not neccessarily. In fact I’d argue we recruited Eyre specifically because we knew this might happen. You need to remember that we still have Frampton, Dean and Eyre (who will be back in a matter of weeks) competing for that second key defence spot. Adding Sof, who performed more poorly during the preseason than any of the aforementioned, would be unlikely to change the current dynamic in any meaningful way.

Agreed.

Assume this opens a MSD spot for us and we should be looking at KPF and ruck depth before adding another KPD IMO.

Or Ned Long.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Agree. The opportunity is now there to replace Murphy with a defender, but I reckon we have already planned for that contingency and more likely the vacant spot if we spend at the MSD at all will fill a different list need. Can’t see what Sofrinidis will bring to the table.

Agree. The opportunity is now there to replace Murphy with a defender, but I reckon we have already planned for that contingency and more likely the vacant spot if we spend at the MSD at all will fill a different list need. Can’t see what Sofrinidis will bring to the table.
Biggest issue for Sof is he will possibly miss the next 2 months with injury

I didn't realise that Daniel has played 180 games for the Dogs. I always thought he was a bit younger than he is.

Critics of his are saying that teams are playing through his man at half forward due to his inability to challenge in the air.

To me he's someone who could play the role that Ginnivan is currently playing at Hawthorn - start in the forward half but push up the ground onto the wings where he can either be used around stoppage or as an outlet kick who can then subsequently set up field position and maintain possession.

The outlet kick when exiting back 50 (if a team can't go straight through the middle) appears to either be a long kick down the line or a short kick 45 degrees to just backward of centre wing. Hitting the short option doesn't completely negate a team's ability to re-enter the corridor, but requires someone with a precise kick, which is what Daniel has.
Yeah, I wouldn't write off a bloke who can kick like him. Blokes who can consistently spot up those attacking 45 degree kicks are attacking weapons. It just depends on whether a team can find a way of using his strengths without his weaknesses being exposed.

Watching Bytel in the VFL - I think it's why we added him.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was more saying injury hasn’t really stopped us recruiting (because of injury).

Tangles, Dawes, Shaz etc.

I think last was Begg?

Maybe scharenberg, don’t recall Dawes being injured when drafted, nor Begg. Don’t even know who tangles is supposed to be.

My point really on Sofrinidis is that assuming his injury isn’t chronic we have seen plenty of him already, so IF they want to recruit him the injury shoukdnt stop that happening. Similarly If they overlook him it’s not due to injury but due to them choosing somebody wise who might even play in a different position

If we only had to pay 500k or so for him he’d be a good pick up

Can play roles in defence, midfield, forward.

And would be one of the best ball users in the side

Probably has 5 years left in him at top level

Dale is 27 too but I think the speed of the game will catch up to him sooner than Daniel
I can't see how he makes us better in any of those positions, particularly given the weaknesses others have also identified.

I’d play Daniel over Lipinski at half forward or noble down back.

If he can be gotten cheaply… he adds to the list
Sadly he is too small to play inside, as Lippa often does and lacks the speed to break the lines like Noble.
His kicking is definitely a weapon but he has weaknesses, so I'd rather put time into a kid like HH, who has speed, good kick both sides, footy IQ, and bigger body.

For me its a little like Markov - we took him because Noble had deficiencies. At their best I'm taking Markov because he offers everything Noble does, but with a bigger body that can break/hold tackles.

So with Daniel's deficiencies I think HH could do better in the longer term, and I don't want opportunities cut off for our kids with CB's recruitment.

Last edited:
Sadly he is too small to play inside, as Lippa often does and lacks the speed to break the lines like Noble.
His kicking is definitely a weapon but he has weaknesses, so I'd rather put time into kids like HH, who has speed, good kick both sides, footy IQ, and bigger body.

For me its a little like Markov v Noble. At their best I'm taking Markov because he offer everything Noble does, but with a bigger body can break/hold tackles.
He's not for our game style. Might suit some other teams who look to move it differently though.

Maybe scharenberg, don’t recall Dawes being injured when drafted, nor Begg. Don’t even know who tangles is supposed to be.

My point really on Sofrinidis is that assuming his injury isn’t chronic we have seen plenty of him already, so IF they want to recruit him the injury shoukdnt stop that happening. Similarly If they overlook him it’s not due to injury but due to them choosing somebody wise who might even play in a different position
Dawes had a knee reco as a junior, can’t remember if it was his draft year or the year before. Either way it didn’t stop us drafting him.

Murphy now retired and Howe likely to retire end of year (OOC end-24) will mean, injuries aside, someone has to step in to play that 3rd tall defensive / intercept role.

Are they currently on our list:
  • TJ is the most promising but has to put on some size
  • Dean, is more suited to 2nd KPD role on slower types and verdict is still out
  • Eyre, is more suited to 1st or 2nd KPD defender role and still needs to find his feet post injury
  • Reef, is projecting nicely as 3rd forward but when McStay returns reckon he's a chance to give us some flexibility and play as a swing-man down back ie. swing-man as 3rd forward or back
  • AJ, before you get moved out (off the list), you need to give a guy with this much talent a go in another role ..swing him back and see what he can do. Would need to source some much needed intensity / urgency & roll the sleeves up
  • Ryan, i just don't see anything this kid offers that suggests afl ..lopes around & doesn't do much of anything

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back