List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Me too. Faux tough guy flash in and out from week to week type for me. Maybe it’s just my bias because I can’t stand him.
I think the thing that annoys me about him is he always looks like he's laughing at people, when he's just not there yet. Maybe it's just his white mouth guard and how his smile/resting bitch face (or fatigued male face for better comparison) looks 😂

For argument's sake let's assume all of Pendles, Sidey, Howe, Jamie, Mitchell, Cox, Murphy and Mihochek are gone by the start of the 2026 season.

Who do we see as their replacements from within our existing ranks? I'll start with a couple and see if you can fill in the blanks:

Howe >>>> TJ
Cox >>>> Steene
Pendles >>>>
Sidey >>>>
Jamie >>>>
Mitchell >>>>
Murphy >>>>
Mihochek >>>>

Pretty hard, isn't it? And we don't have a first rounder to use this season, either.

Hard to see us staying in Finals contention. Thank God we grabbed a flag last year.
Hawthorn finish second bottom, we see player we like late in the first round and trade up a few spots and make a first round pick, well within the realm of possibilities.

I don't think Rowell would leave for more coin in terms of contract. He might leave for more coin via other avenues. Let's be real, outside of the number one pick, his profile is smaller than what it would be in a football state, let alone a big club. We offer him a deal, tell him he'll have more offers for endorsements, fans, engagements, etc. This should come up more in contract discussions.

Reasons for him to stay include loyalty and becoming a Gold Coast icon.

Suns leaders will have the afl throwing ambassador cash at them willy nilly going forward, especially now that they look like they could be half decent.

Collingwood will assess whether it takes a pick in the upcoming mid-season draft on May 29 but like most clubs believe that pool of talent is modest.

The Pies secured VFL player Josh Eyre over summer despite a hamstring tendon injury that will have him out for 3-5 more weeks, likely with an eye on replacing Murphy if he did retire.

Collingwood will have vast cap space of up to $4 million by the end of 2024 but there are few key position players on the market who could instantly slot into the Pies defence.

Jeremy Howe, 33, is also keen to play on as a key back and has a 16-game clause in his contract that would see him automatically handed a new deal if he reached that trigger.

Murphy now retired and Howe likely to retire end of year (OOC end-24) will mean, injuries aside, someone has to step in to play that 3rd tall defensive / intercept role.

Are they currently on our list:
  • TJ is the most promising but has to put on some size
  • Dean, is more suited to 2nd KPD role on slower types and verdict is still out
  • Eyre, is more suited to 1st or 2nd KPD defender role and still needs to find his feet post injury
  • Reef, is projecting nicely as 3rd forward but when McStay returns reckon he's a chance to give us some flexibility and play as a swing-man down back ie. swing-man as 3rd forward or back
  • AJ, before you get moved out (off the list), you need to give a guy with this much talent a go in another role ..swing him back and see what he can do. Would need to source some much needed intensity / urgency & roll the sleeves up
  • Ryan, i just don't see anything this kid offers that suggests afl ..lopes around & doesn't do much of anything
Think you’ve written Ryan off way too early. The rest you have some reasonable points, some unknown prospects there with varying lead times.

We could also just go with Maynard as the third tall defender, depending on the opposition. He “plays tall” very well.

Begg’s another outside chance although backline might be a little too heavy.

And then there’s the mid season draft, national draft, rookie draft, free agency and SSP options not to mention cat B players

Finally you might have written Howe off too early

I’d assume he’d play the Nick Daicos role at HB.

That was my thoughts.

He’d be the precision kicker off the half back line and free Nick up to play midfield.

Alternatively he could play as that high half forward who can actually hit up a lead… now if only the forwards would actually lead.

Murphy now retired and Howe likely to retire end of year (OOC end-24) will mean, injuries aside, someone has to step in to play that 3rd tall defensive / intercept role.

• Eyre, is more suited to 1st or 2nd KPD defender role and still needs to find his feet post injury
  • Reef, is projecting nicely as 3rd forward but when McStay returns reckon he's a chance to give us some flexibility and play as a swing-man down back ie. swing-man as 3rd forward or back
  • AJ, before you get moved out (off the list), you need to give a guy with this much talent a go in another role ..swing him back and see what he can do. Would need to source some much needed intensity / urgency & roll the sleeves up
  • Ryan, i just don't see anything this kid offers that suggests afl ..lopes around & doesn't do much of anything
It's a role for a seasoned pro - guys like Vlaustin and Stewart do it best.

Maynard is the one. Need someone to step up as a general defender.

Dean can intercept ( it was a feature of his game in the VFL) , and even if we chose to play him KPD then Moore intercepts with Frampton as the other tall back.

Sadly he is too small to play inside, as Lippa often does and lacks the speed to break the lines like Noble.
His kicking is definitely a weapon but he has weaknesses, so I'd rather put time into a kid like HH, who has speed, good kick both sides, footy IQ, and bigger body.

For me its a little like Markov - we took him because Noble had deficiencies. At their best I'm taking Markov because he offers everything Noble does, but with a bigger body that can break/hold tackles.

So with Daniel's deficiencies I think HH could do better in the longer term, and I don't want opportunities cut off for our kids with CB's recruitment.

Look at Daniel’s stats for 2023.

Clearances galore when played in the middle… more than Lipinski

If he could be got cheap he only adds to the squad

Are there any Jack Bowes style deals we could undertake to get us back in the draft?

Nick Haynes?
Jack Macrae - ask for a first Rd pick and the player in return for absorbing his contract?
Jack Lukosius (contracted to 2026) - might be heavily back ended?

Are there any Jack Bowes style deals we could undertake to get us back in the draft?

Nick Haynes?
Jack Macrae - ask for a first Rd pick and the player in return for absorbing his contract?
Jack Lukosius (contracted to 2026) - might be heavily back ended?
For Macrae, Dogs traded this years first to the Suns

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For Macrae, Dogs traded this years first to the Suns

Oh bugger. Maybe they can organise a first pick from someone else.

I guess it works best for teams like the Suns that are stacked with picks. In hindsight kudos to the Cats for their forward thinking.

Oh bugger. Maybe they can organise a first pick from someone else.

I guess it works best for teams like the Suns that are stacked with picks. In hindsight kudos to the Cats for their forward thinking.
They traded that pick to nab the pick that got them Sanders

We get Hawthorns second and third round pick next year for Ginnivan. Right?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yep we swapped ours.

Should we be having a look at josh battle as a FA now that murph has retired? Think he's a handy player, might have to overpay though.

The only way I see us getting up the draft is by trading picks for teams with F/S

Lions (Ashcroft) Carlton (Camporeale Twins)

Only problems is Richmond have boat loads of picks to work with so they might be the best candidates for Lions and Carltons 1st

GCS have three 1sts and might off load one most likely pick (20) for a mature best 22 player (Crisp or Noble) Don't @ me it's an example

Maybe NM might offer pick their second pick (21) for again more mature best 22

Suns leaders will have the afl throwing ambassador cash at them willy nilly going forward, especially now that they look like they could be half decent.
That’s true. Won’t make up for fans and the potential market there nor the endorsements that come from simply being better known.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back