List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Isaac’s career is one I’ve watched since his draft year because I always felt he’s one that was up to the top level. The big issue is his body and the best ability is availability. He’s at 75 matches in 6 completed seasons after missing all of his debut season and all of 2024 so far. He just doesn’t play enough, IMO.
He’s definitely gettable though. Giants have a very settled back six now (Whit, Ash, Himmelberg, Buckley, Taylor, Idun) so he’ll find it hard to get in the HB line

Yep helped get rid of Eddie chewed up salary and 2x first rounders though.

He won't ever be invited to a premiership reunion that says alot.
I won’t be invited either so doesn’t bother me. Beams MK2 was a disaster but that’s more on the club admin at the time than it is on Beams himself.

I know it was me who raised Haynes however it should be noted that he was reportedly weighing up an offer from North Melbourne as a "pre-agent" last year but obviously didn't go across. Whether he didn't want to go to a basket case or it was going to cost North too much in a trade, I'm not sure.

I know it was me who raised Haynes however it should be noted that he was reportedly weighing up an offer from North Melbourne as a "pre-agent" last year but obviously didn't go across. Whether he didn't want to go to a basket case or it was going to cost North too much in a trade, I'm not sure.
Would be the former as Giants were looking to get cap relief last year.

He’s definitely gettable though. Giants have a very settled back six now (Whit, Ash, Himmelberg, Buckley, Taylor, Idun) so he’ll find it hard to get in the HB line
Nah he’s in their 23 if fit. Guys like Peatling or O’Halloran would make way and Ash moves up the field if need be. I agree though that he’s gettable. If you’re a FA and unsigned by now without black and white info on you re-signing then you’re gettable.

Too expensive, great player but for that price I’d take all of Caleb Daniel Will Phillips and Jack Macrae and drop 3 cloggers and create bit more competition for spots.
The young kids In other teams are coming fast In numbers too. They are showing it at the top level.
There is a big gap in what we have for youth and what other teams have.
We need to top up and create depth through solid experienced players coming in for now till we get our drafting right.
It’s wallpaper over the cracks now as we have a pretty healthy list.
God forbid we had Carlton or Richmond’s injury list, could you imagine the team we’d have on the park?

Too expensive, great player but for that price I’d take all of Caleb Daniel Will Phillips and Jack Macrae and drop 3 cloggers and create bit more competition for spots.
The young kids In other teams are coming fast In numbers too. They are showing it at the top level.
We need to top up and create depth through solid experienced players coming in for now till we get our drafting right.
God forbid we had Carlton or Richmond’s injury list, could you imagine the team we’d have on the park?

That's has a bit of the Hawthorn rebuild about it.

I reckon this will be the way we go. We will have to if we want to remain competitive. I also hope that if we bring in these types of players that we will finally use some of our picks on a couple of developing talls. We won't need anymore flaankers if you add them to what we already have

Thought Baz looked great in the black and white image: HS Where will he end up?

Like the thought process, but those three names do not inspire confidence! Daniel’s finished at the top level, Phillips never started and Macrae could add value in the right role, but is 31 next year so only a bridge to the next wave anyway. Honestly what’s with the hype for Phillips? So what if he was a top 3 pick 4 years ago just like Fin what matters now is what he can do at the top level which like Fin is not much…

Like the thought process, but those three names do not inspire confidence! Daniel’s finished at the top level, Phillips never started and Macrae could add value in the right role, but is 31 next year so only a bridge to the next wave anyway. Honestly what’s with the hype for Phillips? So what if he was a top 3 pick 4 years ago just like Fin what matters now is what he can do at the top level which like Fin is not much…
The north board talk about Phillips like we do macrae. People are simply looking at his draft pick which irrelevant

The north board talk about Phillips like we do macrae. People are simply looking at his draft pick which irrelevant
Me personally Macrae > Phillips because Macrae at least has size, is a neat user and knows our system.

Phillips has had a lot of injuries also. I think it was last year that he put together a couple of games that really caught my eye. He looked like a nice combination of inside outside. I remember thinking to myself that he might have arrived but don't know what's happened since. I wouldn't be against taking him at the right price

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Phillips at least looked like he was not going to be total rubbish last year, but then seemingly undid all that work. Weird player

i enjoyed your response but as they say, it often takes a village to ..realise the inconsistencies and shifting of the goal-posts in raising a child or an idiot.

'single play', come on dude ..not one but two deciding (aka 'clutch') moments in the granny that determine whether we add to our long history of 'falling at the last hurdle' vs saluting ..and yes, it was a cadre of our 1st rounders that got it done

..whilst all the 1st rounders, of recent times, we'd allocated to our confetti throwing pile were either vacationing down at the Kennel (Treloar) or doing finger painting (Beams).

'should tank over 20 years' ..if you remove the '0' your comment is more accurate. you do realise after finishing 2nd (2003) it then took a full 2-years of bottoming out to 13th (2004) and 15th (2005), in order to procure Thomas (#2) and Sir Scott #5), before bouncing back to 5th (2006). And young Scott - arguably the greatest player of our club in the modern era - played 9 games in his 1st year, 23 in his 2nd year etc whilst Thomas played 16 and 25; combined, those two have contributed 447 senior games and still counting! So you're arguing the 2-years ain't worth it ..okay@!

But clearly Scotty's a generational talent, a freak, an exception to the rule. Name me 1 player procured from our confetti throwing strategy (and Buckley doesn't count cos he was already a known quantity at draft time) that has had the same / similar impact on the club ..yep, doughnuts!

'Late r1 picks are a dart board' ..c'mon dude you're way better than that. Go back as far as our late r1 (#17) pick in 2020, Ollie Henry, is an absolute gun (played 54 games, scoring 84.49 goals in first 3+ seasons). Then go even further back, to the same draft year (2020), and check out another late r1 (#19) pick in Finn MaCrae ..old mate Hiney picked up a slow'ish tweener instead of the more athletic Max Holmes who went at pick #20. Dangerfield has recently said of Max Holmes that "..he has Judd-like traits ..could be the best the player in the comp". Old Hiney had the chance to absolutely crush the 2020 draft alas ..my point is, if you have a half-decent recruiting team ya don't put so much stock in a confetti throwing strategy.

ps: Hiney's selection of Ryan (no particular afl traits, plodder) at #28 is a repeat of his 2020 work re Finn, albeit with much longer hair (see L.Cowan taken at #30).

Ginni not playing games for us this year is exactly my point ..we had depth in the position of small forward: Hill. McCreery and Elliott (already in the team & playing that position), Ginni, HH and Richards (not in the team & play that same position) and Sidey (in the team and a position he would excel in). ps: i appreciate you making arguments that support my point.

In summary, stop misusing rd 1 picks cos you like confetti, consider handing Hiney his long-service gold watch and ffs, pick up & back in the quality kids to generate a balanced list (age profile, positional, quality).
Agree 100% on the Cowan comment…he was it.
I was annoyed at the time when we didn’t take him.

It’s all great to look in hindsight at picks and say “what if”. It’s an easy analysis to do.

But what you actually need to do with any of your draft analysis is look at specific clubs and what they had/chose…rather than a basic blanket approach of “player x was taken here”.

If you think we drafted Schultz to play small fwd for 6+ years..,,I legit can’t help you!!

Maybe stop looking at possibilities and looking at probabilities instead.
You’re continued overrating our young talent as depth is strange.

We have no depth. Didn’t in ‘22 nor last year. Just had 2 awesome years of injury management.

For every pick you show me as being “awesome” post pick 10….there are 3-4 that don’t make it. Probably more.

Draft picks are overrated. Especially this weird view that 10+ is going to get you a 10+ year player that plays year 1 for a team not at the bottom.

Agree 100% on the Cowan comment…he was it.
I was annoyed at the time when we didn’t take him.

It’s all great to look in hindsight at picks and say “what if”. It’s an easy analysis to do.

But what you actually need to do with any of your draft analysis is look at specific clubs and what they had/chose…rather than a basic blanket approach of “player x was taken here”.

If you think we drafted Schultz to play small fwd for 6+ years..,,I legit can’t help you!!

Maybe stop looking at possibilities and looking at probabilities instead.
You’re continued overrating our young talent as depth is strange.

We have no depth. Didn’t in ‘22 nor last year. Just had 2 awesome years of injury management.

For every pick you show me as being “awesome” post pick 10….there are 3-4 that don’t make it. Probably more.

Draft picks are overrated. Especially this weird view that 10+ is going to get you a 10+ year player that plays year 1 for a team not at the bottom.
we can continue the discussion ..not tonight though

albeit, if we get 6+ years of Schultz on tonight's form as small forward or any other position then I legit won't be happy nor can I see what you /the club sees, certainly not for the price we paid. he's just not that good

and pls don't say, he was recruited to take over from Elliott once he retires, cos I'll legit spew up in my own analysis!

ps: Cowan > Ryan and Holmes > Macrae wasn't a hindsight call, not from me anyhow.

I won’t be invited either so doesn’t bother me. Beams MK2 was a disaster but that’s more on the club admin at the time than it is on Beams himself.
Tend to agree as having addiction issues, he was desperate and focussing on himself and not the club. Understand from what has been written on this episode is the club knew about it and recruited him anyway. Well played by the lions for some shrewd negotiating.

Tend to agree as having addiction issues, he was desperate and focussing on himself and not the club. Understand from what has been written on this episode is the club knew about it and recruited him anyway. Well played by the lions for some shrewd negotiating.
Yep. People with addiction issues tend to have poor judgement. I’m not going to blame him for deliberately screwing Collingwood over. That’s on Eddie and the club mostly for ignoring or glossing over these issues in trade discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back