Autopsy Come and stay for the Hayward show 48 point win vs Fremantle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Adams was in a few great links.

Also apart from the Tigers game everyone is running both ways, Hayward Heeney etc will be in a play on the wing then at a contest forward.
There was play in the centre where the ball was going to adams, but heeney intercecepted it and fumbled. In a flash adams was able to adjust and tap the ball back up over to heeney. It was incredible

There was play in the centre where the ball was going to adams, but heeney intercecepted it and fumbled. In a flash adams was able to adjust and tap the ball back up over to heeney. It was incredible

I really like Adams and his linking play, does a lot of hard work and doesn't hack kick it .

Has another level yet of course.

Just got home from the game.

I must admit, I saw it a bit different to most.

I didn’t see “manic Sydney pressure” as the press has reported. Instead, I saw a Freo side playing an aggressive running game that troubled us - but it did enable us to punish them on turnover.

And if it wasn’t for their wonky goal kicking, the score would have been very close at half time. It was not a dominant performance by Sydney.

Main positive for me - I’m now a JJ convert. He ran with Clarke, as well as spending some time on Young and O’Meara. And whoever he played on struggled.

The only question - can he offer more than a negating role? If he can - he’s going to be a real asset for plenty of years.

And Warner looked incredibly good when he played forward.

I found it curious that Sydney clearly saw Young and Clarke as the key men to contain - not Serong.

Overall, a solid win, but not a dominant win.
Serong got lots of the ball, but wouldn't say he was hitting targets and setting up scores? Young a Clarke provide run and are both good uses by foot, Serong is an accumulator that wins the hard ball and distributes to those guys. Always better to stop the outside runners that set up scores. Serong is a great player, but run and carry disposals from both the other 2 hurt an opposition team more than 30 from Serong.

Nothing wrong with being a defensive forward / mid stopping the opposition's most important players if that's your role. Grand Finals (and to a lesser extent Finals) are generally won by the team whose role players play and own their moment better. I do agree that adding another string to his bow makes him harder to drop but if he keeps putting in performances like the last month he'll stay in the team regardless.

You can always tell by the listing of the phone numbers of Lifeline, Beyond Blue etc
That’s an interpretation of the journalist, considering circumstances. There’s a legal process involving autopsy and police investigation. The coroner’s office will look at circumstances and decide if further investigation is required. Rightly, we don’t know the details. It’s not hard for the publication to add those phone numbers if there is any possibility.

Parker deserves a spot. Period.

People talk about him being "O'Keefe'd" forgetting that Ryno started the 2014 season and played poorly in 4 consecutive games, 3 of them losses.

Parker lost his spot through injury and is dominating in the VFL. He's a legend of the club who has stayed loyal despite multiple big money offers to leave.

If he comes in and plays poorly for a month, sure, but he deserves better than to just wait around until someone gets injured.

I just don't know with Joel. Get the feeling he's going to tease us for years until the next contract extension is due. I hope I'm wrong because if all 3 of them can come good I'll be wrapped.
I dunno, I feel like he is on a McLean trajectory. I expect (or is it hope?) for him to keep better bit by bit. He just signed a contract and seems a better player than last year. Though agree he is still patchy and has a ways to go.

People talk about him being "O'Keefe'd" forgetting that Ryno started the 2014 season and played poorly in 4 consecutive games, 3 of them losses.

Parker lost his spot through injury and is dominating in the VFL. He's a legend of the club who has stayed loyal despite multiple big money offers to leave.

If he comes in and plays poorly for a month, sure, but he deserves better than to just wait around until someone gets injured.

Parker's been highly paid for years that helps with the loyalty .

No one is owed or deserves a spot .

Having said that yes he is a great of the club, so who are you cutting for him ?

Not one player he could replace deserves to lose their spot is the flip side of it .

I dunno, I feel like he is on a McLean trajectory. I expect (or is it hope?) for him to keep better bit by bit. He just signed a contract and seems a better player than last year. Though agree he is still patchy and has a ways to go.
Along with his fitness, it’s him building confidence in himself, his game and that he believes he belongs at the level.

He is starting to use his body a lot better and getting himself into better positions to leap at the ball (either marking or neutralising the contest).

Still think he can add more size to his frame too.

That would suit me fine. Been very happy how McLean has improved himself and continues to do so.

Parker is 100% a loss, an injury or one mid losing form away from playing

Not so much full forward but looks like he is targeted more by the mids. I am sure there is a stat showing I am wrong 😂

Warner also seems forward more which I don't mind
I suspect it's a combination of a number of things. No Buddy, plus Sydney getting smarter with their ball movement means that the best option is being selected more. Grundy coming into the team which means that more clearances and quicker ball movement is happening.

Amartey and McDonald developing their tank a bit more and getting to more contests which creates more 1 vs 1 and space for other players.
Grundy's a big part of Sydney's percentage as a big issue last year was that because Sydney didn't have a second ruck capable around the ground which meant that every other player was having to do more work which resulted in those drop off's in last quarters.

Also, name the Sydney midfielders that are also good ball users that had a consistently good year last year. Most of them were good in patches, but also had month long periods they were out of form.

Not sure about that
Yep, Adam’s was good in tough contests last night, it is similar to Parker, Adam’s is better by foot. The role he seemed be playing is one where the ball often goes past you, but rewatching some this morning, he does the tough stuff. I was disappointed w Robert’s last night, thought he was quiet and poor defensively, seemed to let his man off the leash and ball watch at times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, Adam’s was good in tough contests last night, it is similar to Parker, Adam’s is better by foot. The role he seemed be playing is one where the ball often goes past you, but rewatching some this morning, he does the tough stuff. I was disappointed w Robert’s last night, thought he was quiet and poor defensively, seemed to let his man off the leash and ball watch at times.
Yeah agree re Adams.
Roberts yeah maybe a down game , still learning though.

Not that it's linked but thought Lloyd continued his good form after a slowish start with finding a role around Roberts.

Yeah agree re Adams.
Roberts yeah maybe a down game , still learning though.

Not that it's linked but thought Lloyd continued his good form after a slowish start with finding a role around Roberts.
Agree, Lloyd proved the saviour a number of times last night, great composure

Papley's form this season has been a concern. His forward pressure is probably keeping him in the squad but his touch is way off. Parker is probably a touch slower but I wonder if he might offer more offensively up forward and chopping out in the midfield than Paps is at the moment.

Wtf soo much hate for Aaron Francis. Hes not Tom mccartin but he played his role well.

Interesting to read the trackers sometimes, Taylor Adams ran 6 km more than any other player last night on the ground. Certainly working bloody hard

He had a few bad possessions and missed 1 spoil. But McCartin is good for those in a game as well to be fair

Yep. I've seen it from all our players. Feels like his mistakes are being weighted far higher than those of other players. I've seen Tom butcher the ball numerous times. I've seen ineffective spoils from blakey etc.

What I found startling was just how much ground our players covered, and how quickly they bounced up from being involved in a tackle. I know this is summarised as “work-rate”, but it’s really impressive to see in real life. I supposed I expected our smaller players to bounce around quickly, but to see Hayden MacLean be involved in a tackle, then to be in a position to receive the next kick was impressive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back