Autopsy Started off 2024 in style terrific hard fought win against Melbourne by 22 points

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's more two talls, with one on the bench.

IMO, Wicks comes down to a debate of him or Fox. And Fox probably got the nod because of Lever and May.

I wasn't watching closely to see what Fox was doing, but May seemed to play pretty well so maybe they will change it this week.
But I don't feel like it should be a case of Wicks or Fox, it should be both. We need more forward pressure than what we've had before, not less. It's been evident in recent years and it was evident again in every game this weekend. To me having that front half pressure is even more important than having three talls or a bevvy of mids rotating through the inside/wing/half forward.

But I don't feel like it should be a case of Wicks or Fox, it should be both. We need more forward pressure than what we've had before, not less. It's been evident in recent years and it was evident again in every game this weekend. To me having that front half pressure is even more important than having three talls or a bevvy of mids rotating through the inside/wing/half forward.
There aren't 3 talls all in the f50 at the same time though usually. One is either on the bench or in the ruck.

It's 2 talls, with 4 smalls.

So unless you want them going with 1 and 5 for extended periods of the game, you have to drop a smaller player to bring in wicks.

Collingwood's GF team had one less tall, but that was probably more to do with McStay getting injured. Their Round 24 team had Cameron, Cox, Mcstay and Mihocek. Which is basically the same setup we had on Thursday night.

There aren't 3 talls all in the f50 at the same time though usually. One is either on the bench or in the ruck.

It's 2 talls, with 4 smalls.

So unless you want them going with 1 and 5 for extended periods of the game, you have to drop a smaller player to bring in wicks.

Collingwood's GF team had one less tall, but that was probably more to do with McStay getting injured. Their Round 24 team had Cameron, Cox, Mcstay and Mihocek. Which is basically the same setup we had on Thursday night.
Who are the 4 smalls?

And my issue isn't so much with the three talls. It was the lack of pressure at ground level in the forward line. I don't necessarily think three talls has to equal a lack of pressure, but more that if you're going to have three talls you need to compensate with MORE pressure.

Every time it went into our forward line there was a general lack of Swans presence. Robbie Fox battling 2 or 3 Melbourne defenders by himself for a ground ball. That's just not sustainable.

Who are the 4 smalls?

And my issue isn't so much with the three talls. It was the lack of pressure at ground level in the forward line. I don't necessarily think three talls has to equal a lack of pressure, but more that if you're going to have three talls you need to compensate with MORE pressure.

Every time it went into our forward line there was a general lack of Swans presence. Robbie Fox battling 2 or 3 Melbourne defenders by himself for a ground ball. That's just not sustainable.
Going off the team sheet, it was Heeney, Papley, Fox and Hayward. But obviously there is a lot of rotating going on between the midfielders and forwards.

I don't disagree with you about the pressure stuff, but I also think McDonald being the sole tall forward for extended periods could look pretty awful.

We would have been better off with one less tall on Thursday night due to the humidity. There will hopefully be better conditions moving forward and I think we will be better with an extra tall.

When's Amartey been on?

Hawks ,Dons , Eagles and Tigers last year he had awesome quarters or even a half then went to sleep.

His flashes look great and all but gee.

Can't beat up bottom sides every week , the guy has all the talent, does he want it enough?
He's an asset in easier games. Some tall forwards just excel in more open less combative games. I think he should tactically come in against bottom 8 teams to assist in dominating the scoreboard. Nothing wrong with using players in that manner imo until he can find form.

McLean followed a similar trajectory. There was a time a couple years ago where he had no idea how big he was and at times literally refrained from crashing packs. Once he figured himself out he hasnt looked back

There aren't many that can tackle Petracca.

Rowy never missed.

He's become 2nd only to Errol in terms of "please please pleeeeeeease announce he's re-signed".
Our mids bullied them all night. Viney, Petracca & Salem would have some serious bruises this week. The tackling was fierce from both sides but more so from our mids. After Viney got that early goal Rowie must have decided to make him every possession. He banged him up (no sexual references please this is not a Year 10 Forum) big time.

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app

and this took the pressure of Hayward who normally plays that role, enabling Hayward to be not so tired and kick some goals.
Yes. I have loved him being freed up to do what we drafted him to do. He was a prolific goal kicker in his junior footy. He kicked 9 in an U19 Prelim & 4 out of 7 in a GF. I think we have been wasting him.

I have no idea how he does it.
He is lightly built but has some kind of ninja, zen, jujutsu thing going on.
He's quite stocky actually. Not on the heavier side like Petracca. But strong & built. I bet he was a serial pest at Junior Footy. Only loved by his coach & teammates. The opposition would have dreaded playing against him. The bruises from being tackled would have lasted weeks

3 tall forwards worked with Reid and Buddy cause they tackled. Buddy less so as 2022 and 2023 went on (which is fair) but Reid provided a lot of forward pressure averaging 4 tackles a game in 2022.

I don't know the answer because don't know the right question.

Why does he not produce regularly? He has the talent. He has size. He has pace.

Truly an enigma.

I could be being completely irrational and stupid of course.

I guess I find it frustrating to see the cliche talented guy not seeming to work as hard as the working class scrapper, say Fox.

He’d be super hard to play with. People going off at a team mates mistake is bloody difficult on the field and given his approach to melkshan you’d have to say difficult off it

He's been at 2 different clubs and at both those clubs, teammates have felt the need to try and knock his block off.

Good player, poisonous personality, don't want.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

people saying we need more forward pressure.. Of course we do. We also need more marking targets inside 50, more pace and kicking ability out wide, more clearance players, more .............. of everything!
The talls on both sides had poor games because the ball was like a cake of soap
We just beat Melbourne (with significant injuries to our midfield) and people are demanding more of something or another!

Great game, great team selection, (JMac playing more/rotating fwd was a surprise), well coached, great game plan

There were plenty of smalls running through the fwd line.. too many to keep track of! Wonder how well the Dees knew what was going on?

people saying we need more forward pressure.. Of course we do. We also need more marking targets inside 50, more pace and kicking ability out wide, more clearance players, more .............. of everything!
The talls on both sides had poor games because the ball was like a cake of soap
We just beat Melbourne (with significant injuries to our midfield) and people are demanding more of something or another!

Great game, great team selection, (JMac playing more/rotating fwd was a surprise), well coached, great game plan

There were plenty of smalls running through the fwd line.. too many to keep track of! Wonder how well the Dees knew what was going on?
No doubt in my mind that Horse outcoached Goodwin. I wonder who came up with Grundy's tactics. Grundy+Cox? Sure did work!

Matt Roberts / Nick Smith?

Now Roberts and Smith are not exactly the same type of player… but I remember when Smith first started, to be brutal, he was hopeless, ordinary at best… but management obviously knew better and kept persevering with him. I have the same vibes about Roberts… he was pretty ordinary in his games last year, showed a bit here n there but, for me , only a fringe player. But to my surprise, he was picked round 1 and even with a few mistakes, he overall had a strong game.

I think, like Smith, they’ll stick with him now, and I’m happy to have egg on my face again… because Nick Smith ended up being one of our best and most reliable players for a long time (and became an AA !) … here’s hoping Roberts will follow a similar path 🙏👍

A lot of the reports are stating Melbourne's forward line is what let them down, but it's gotta be said a depleted Swans midfield got on top of their midfield as well.

… but did we get on top of their midfield? Grundy and Heeney had super games but he rest lowered their colours imo.

Matt Roberts / Nick Smith?

Now Roberts and Smith are not exactly the same type of player… but I remember when Smith first started, to be brutal, he was hopeless, ordinary at best… but management obviously knew better and kept persevering with him. I have the same vibes about Roberts… he was pretty ordinary in his games last year, showed a bit here n there but, for me , only a fringe player. But to my surprise, he was picked round 1 and even with a few mistakes, he overall had a strong game.

I think, like Smith, they’ll stick with him now, and I’m happy to have egg on my face again… because Nick Smith ended up being one of our best and most reliable players for a long time (and became an AA !) … here’s hoping Roberts will follow a similar path 🙏👍
We've got Lloyd & Rampe, Cuningham who will need to be replaced in the next few years. In the meantime Roberts can learn his craft in the backline and gel with the rest of the young fellas.

Smooch is a high bar to set, 307. I view him as one of the best negating backmen I've ever seen, in any team. But I think what you're comparing to is the coaches ability to back themselves on players - they were very bullish about him coming into this year already and they very much like that booming boot of his.

I don't know the answer because don't know the right question.

Why does he not produce regularly? He has the talent. He has size. He has pace.

Truly an enigma.
I know people have said he was tried and failed down back in the ressies a few years ago,.. but that was then! I still think Amartey can be a good KPD , he has all the right attributes. Given our current squad’s main weakness is KPD’s (god help us if McCartin gets injured), I think it’s worth giving him another crack at playing down back? (perhaps after another stint there in the ressies)
PS. a lot of ppl opposed me when I continually said Heeney should spend more time in the middle… and the Dees game proved he’s right up to it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back