Autopsy Started off 2024 in style terrific hard fought win against Melbourne by 22 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t write off Joel yet. Terrible conditions for the talls. On a dry pitch v Pies we need to see what he’s got.

Wicks is a must. Forget whether or not he kicks goals, his manic pressure and ability to lock it down in F50 is critical esp w 3 not so fast talls.

Would also like to see Gus in some capacity - even as sub.

I know, I know, who goes out. An embarrassment of riches.

This is a bit unfair Bomza. Lloyd not having a role or being a valuable member of the team is an interesting hill to die on considering he could've easily finished as high as 4th in last year's B&F if two of his games weren't written off because of concussion. In our 2022 GF run, Lloyd had the 4th most votes in the B&F during the last eight games, behind only three inside mids. Evidently there's very much a place for him in our best team and our best footy.

You're entitled to your opinion but it has comparatively less evidence behind it than those on the contrary, so to say people have "blinkers" on is a little unfair.
The poster's name is Donza - not Bomza
I think stats that say Lloyd was top 5 Swans player over an 8 game stretch 2 years ago have zero value today
To say Lloyd would've finished higher in last years B&F if he wasn't injured ?? The same can be said of any player. Id back Amartey to win the coleman if not for his injuries.
Of course Donza is entitled to having an opinion

I reckon Lloyds days are numbered. We might be seeing Roberts play a few more games in Lloyds position this year, in preparation for when Lloyd 'passes the baton' (to use Swans language)

The poster's name is Donza - not Bomza
I think stats that say Lloyd was top 5 Swans player over an 8 game stretch 2 years ago have zero value today
To say Lloyd would've finished higher in last years B&F if he wasn't injured ?? The same can be said of any player. Id back Amartey to win the coleman if not for his injuries.
Of course Donza is entitled to having an opinion

I reckon Lloyds days are numbered. We might be seeing Roberts play a few more games in Lloyds position this year, in preparation for when Lloyd 'passes the baton' (to use Swans language)
The Salad calls him "Bomza' because he is our go-to for weather predictions, my friend.

Thev3 talls don’t work imo

Be playing Hayward deep at times as a focal point and dropping amartey and playing a small in wicks

I think three talls is ideal and it has also helped us to play our best footy over the last two years. I think it depends on who the three talls are and how they are playing. I wouldn’t like the idea of going into a game with only Logan and McLean as our talls; we saw how Logan got dominated by May which is no crime because May is excellent and Logan isn’t a bullocking tall he’s a hard running tall who can take a leap now and then. Our ability to compete in the air would be very suspect if we only had two talls in Logan and McLean imo plus when McLean has to relieve Grundy that would have us down to just Logan as a tall forward of the ball. Not ideal imo.

I also think you can’t base too much off a first round game in bad humidity. It really wasn’t a night for tall forwards to be effective. Amartey I suspect will keep his spot for now but I’m sure Buller and Reid are licking their lips at the prospect of replacing him. Particularly now that it seems it’s well and truly McLean who is the 2nd ruck; Amartey should be under no illusions that he has to be effective as a pure forward to keep his spot.

Definitely need to keep giving Hayward time as the deep forward but I’d also want Wicks in the side somewhere for his tackling and then fitting the three inside mids is gonna create questions for where Heeney plays. A lot of questions to answer later this year.

Don’t write off Joel yet. Terrible conditions for the talls. On a dry pitch v Pies we need to see what he’s got.

Wicks is a must. Forget whether or not he kicks goals, his manic pressure and ability to lock it down in F50 is critical esp w 3 not so fast talls.

Would also like to see Gus in some capacity - even as sub.

I know, I know, who goes out. An embarrassment of riches.
It's not cricket

Mcdonald Mclean and Hayward all marking targets with Papley small and Wicks is good I reckon.

Heeney goes there at times and even Fox played a role on a defensive weapon from the other side.

Amartey can buy a ticket like the rest of us if he wants to spectate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thev3 talls don’t work imo

Be playing Hayward deep at times as a focal point and dropping amartey and playing a small in wicks
I agree. We looked clunky with all 3 on. But I'd still keep picking 3 tall forwards in the best 22. Allows a constant rotation of 2 tall targets and resting Grundy on the bench. With the advent of the sub, we can afford to have this luxury and bring on the sub later in the game like we did on Thursday night. Also, if a tall goes down, having the extra one will mean our structure is not effected as much.

I want far more evidence - in different conditions, against different opponents - before drawing a conclusion about whether a three talls structure can work.

I am a little perplexed by the idea the Swans have trained over the off-season with the idea of having McDonald as the deepest tall. It doesn’t seem to play to his strengths at all.

I want far more evidence - in different conditions, against different opponents - before drawing a conclusion about whether a three talls structure can work.

I am a little perplexed by the idea the Swans have trained over the off-season with the idea of having McDonald as the deepest tall. It doesn’t seem to play to his strengths at all.
Totally agree Liz. He covers the ground well, strong on the lead, a beautiful field kick and can nail them more often than not from the 50m arc. I would've thought with Heeney in the guts, now would be the perfect time to unleash him as a high HF, pushing up the ground in the same style as Nick Reiwoldt or Pavlich, especially as we have Mclean, Amartey and Fox to do the man on man stuff.

Fox is the perfect forward half player to do all the non-statistical impacting work & someone who can play a shutdown role on opposition halfbacks. He & Wicks have to start next week imo, it's no coincidence our forward line functioned better when he was subbed into the game.
You gotta hand it to players like Fox and Cunningham. They play their roles and keep reinventing themselves for the team. They aren’t out best players but I am sure they are right up there as the coaches favourites.

I don't think he's not fit, just lacks killer instinct and mental energy. It's inbetween the ears with him I rekn, struggles to get into the mindset that would allow him to impose himself.

Hope that is the case, at least you have more chance of working on that .

Just think him off for Wicks changed the teams energy.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but why was McDonald playing close to goals? Surely his skill set (originally a mid, good field kick, good mark on the wing, good engine) favours playing upfield while Amartey (who can pack mark) is better playing close to goals.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but why was McDonald playing close to goals? Surely his skill set (originally a mid, good field kick, good mark on the wing, good engine) favours playing upfield while Amartey (who can pack mark) is better playing close to goals.

Yer i was actually hoping he would run May ragged like Franklin did in the 2022 QF

I commented earlier about my perplexion at McDonald playing deepest forward. In this instance I guess it is possible they thought May might show more respect to McDonald than to Amartey, despite the fact that McDonald clearly didn't have the strength/body size to out-position May, while Amartey may (and only "may") have been able to jump from behind to contest marks.

Last night I fell asleep during the second quarter while watching a replay but woke up for the half time comments. The Fox panel was raving on about how May and Gawn were completely controlling the match (despite the fact that the Swans were ahead on the scoreboard). I confess that, watching live, I never got the impression May was dominating the whole backline (our forward line), despite being aware that he was clearly beating McDonald. I'll need to find the time to watch a replay of the second quarter at a time I'm less likely to doze off.

You gotta hand it to players like Fox and Cunningham. They play their roles and keep reinventing themselves for the team. They aren’t out best players but I am sure they are right up there as the coaches favourites.
So much this. No ego and do what ever the coach asks of them. Team men through and through.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back