Training Pre Season - Who's deadset training the house down 2024 style.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't realise that we should be discussing West Coast's problems and what they should or shouldn't have done with their recruiting. I couldn't give a rat's arse about what West Coast did.
It is somewhat relevant to how Buller was rated by the broad football community before last year’s MSD. If his WAFL form has been suggestive of AFL- gun potential, I think WC would have found a way to open a second MSD spot to take him before we did. As it was, we were the only club that showed any tangible interest given he was the last player taken.

Not that that’s either here nor there now.

My impression of him last year was that he was a hard worker but lacked a stand out athletic attribute. He didn’t show great pace on the lead, was found out by nimble defenders and was a decent contested mark but no more than decent (and against VFL opponents). His set shot kicking was also a mixed bag.

Set against that was the fact he had spent very little time in an elite AFL environment. He showed enough to suggest he might be able to achieve sufficient improvement in one or more key forward attributes to carve out a modest AFL career.

So I’m firmly on the fence about him and am looking forward to watching him early this year to see if the preseason has delivered much development. My gut feel is that his ceiling is probably at the Luke Vogels level - for anyone who can remember that far back. But I’d be delighted to be proved pessimistic. And Vogels did play a few more than handy games, even if he never loooked close to graduating beyond the level of “fringe”.

It is somewhat relevant to how Buller was rated by the broad football community before last year’s MSD. If his WAFL form has been suggestive of AFL- gun potential, I think WC would have found a way to open a second MSD spot to take him before we did. As it was, we were the only club that showed any tangible interest given he was the last player taken.

My impression of him last year was that he was a hard worker but lacked a stand out athletic attribute. He didn’t show great pace on the lead, was found out by nimble defenders and was a decent contested mark but no more than decent (and against VFL opponents). His set shot kicking was also a mixed bag.

Set against that was the fact he had spent very little time in an elite AFL environment. He showed enough to suggest he might be able to achieve sufficient improvement in one or more key forward attributes to carve out a modest AFL career.

So I’m firmly on the fence about him and am looking forward to watching him early this year to see if the preseason has delivered much development. My gut feel is that his ceiling is probably at the Luke Vogels level - for anyone who can remember that far back. But I’d be delighted to be proved pessimistic. And Vogels did play a few more than handy games, even if he never loooked close to graduating beyond the level of “fringe”.
Always my hope that anyone who makes it onto our list is successful if the opportunity arises. He's a good size and worked hard to get to a level where people would take notice.

Vogels was finally a whisker or two away from making it.

Going back a bit there liz .

I have no issue discussing Buller and whether or not he will make it but going on and on about where WC failed in their not drafting Buller etc is totally irrelevant to us.

For all those who have been posting about how terrible we were last week and claiming all the doom and gloom let me just remind you of this.
Everyone in the media is raving this week about how good GWS are and they are a real challenger for the flag this year. Fair enough too. They were very, very good against the Suns.
Have you all forgotten that we played against GWS only 7 days earlier and beat them. And beat them convincingly.
As is the norm these days, every team is only as good or bad as they were in their last match. Everything that happened prior to that is just totally forgotten.
In addition to this I posted prior to the start of the game that I felt the result was completely irrelevant. They were almost at full strength yet we had 6-7 of our best 22 not playing. That's almost a third of our side missing. Of course we were not at our best.
If we play as poorly as that again in a couple of days time then there is reason to talk a little negatively but even so one should keep in mind that Melbourne have only been outside the top 4 for 3 weeks over the past three years. They're a reasonable side and if we were to lose to them, it's not the end of the world.

I doubt anyone’s making predictions based solely off practice games. No-one credible, anyway.

But there are 18 teams in the competition and eight spots in the finals. I suspect there are two teams that no one is predicting to make finals and maybe a couple more that hardly anyone is predicting to make finals.

That means most pundits will have four to six teams for whom they can make a case to finish top eight but that they need to leave out of their predicted top eight. As we saw last year, it could come down to millimetres in the last match of the home and away.

I doubt anyone’s making predictions based solely off practice games. No-one credible, anyway.

But there are 18 teams in the competition and eight spots in the finals. I suspect there are two teams that no one is predicting to make finals and maybe a couple more that hardly anyone is predicting to make finals.

That means most pundits will have four to six teams for whom they can make a case to finish top eight but that they need to leave out of their predicted top eight. As we saw last year, it could come down to millimetres in the last match of the home and away.
Nathan Buckley said today even when coaching he didn't take any notice of Praccy match results

Nathan Buckley said today even when coaching he didn't take any notice of Praccy match results
I feel like for a club that places such an emphasis on pressure and intensity like us it's hard to really show that in pre-season games as most guys won't be giving it 100%, so we probably look more off the boil and further from our proper game than most teams do.

I feel like for a club that places such an emphasis on pressure and intensity like us it's hard to really show that in pre-season games as most guys won't be giving it 100%, so we probably look more off the boil and further from our proper game than most teams do.
Last week our tackle intensity and willingness to run,run,run was way down on what it needed to be. That was probably part pre-season game-itis and part because it was played in a sauna. I know I had a pile of towels sitting next to me on the sofa to wipe down the exertion of just lying there, watching.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last week our tackle intensity and willingness to run,run,run was way down on what it needed to be. That was probably part pre-season game-itis and part because it was played in a sauna. I know I had a pile of towels sitting next to me on the sofa to wipe down the exertion of just lying there, watching.

I understand the term melting into the couch

Interesting post liz

i also have towels ... for the tears

Hey friends, managed to pick up Caiden Cleary in my SC keeper league so I have him for the long haul, was curious on his pre season to date and if he's a chance for a 2024 debut at some point. Thanks in advance.
Only through injuries this year you would expect unless he shows some amazing form before the bye then maybe in the back half of the year

Hey friends, managed to pick up Caiden Cleary in my SC keeper league so I have him for the long haul, was curious on his pre season to date and if he's a chance for a 2024 debut at some point. Thanks in advance.

Ha … good choice…

Seems to have had a good pre season. Smart, tough as teak youngster has a decent chance of a debut. The way our mids are going down CCs debut may be earlier than planned. :(

Given our current injuries nothing is impossible but you'd think he'd be a long shot to debut. We have Adams, Parker, Mills to return plus those (currently) in front of Cleary include Jordon, Roberts and Sheldrick (who will all likely play this week but not guaranteed) and also Corey Warner is likely to be picked before Cleary (despite their somewhat different roles). Probably ditto for Caleb Mitchell, although I wouldn't expect Mitchell to be selected for an inside role and Cleary might be.

Geelong is one Club where some existing well paid players opted to take less so a good player could be recruited.

It would be possible to run the argument that Mitchell’s well paid teammates chose cash rather than help retain a valuable underpaid player.
They probably had to anyway. Things were tight. I expect we were still carrying Tippet's contract. Hanners would have been on good coin but unable to play for much of 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back